All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Barium enema: Has anyone not been able to complete a colonoscopy due to pain?
      #282172 - 09/14/06 06:44 AM
Linda Schmidt

Reged: 09/11/05

Now they scheduled me for a barium enema. Can anyone reassure me that it will be less painful than the colonoscopy was? They got to the sigmoid and diagnosed diverticulosis. I assume the IBS is what made it so painful.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Barium enema: Has anyone not been able to complete a colonoscopy due to pain? new
      #282178 - 09/14/06 06:59 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Were you awake during your colonoscopy? I never felt a thing when they did mine. In fact it took quite a while for me to wake up afterwards. So, I can't say I had any pain with that.

A barium enema is not pleasant. It's not so much painful, just very uncomfortable. And it's pretty quick. Just a pain to get all the barium out of your system afterwards.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Re: Barium enema: Has anyone not been able to complete a colonoscopy due to pain? new
      #282182 - 09/14/06 07:08 AM
Linda Schmidt

I had meds via IV but I was awake, just a bit groggy. Did you get any meds with the enema xray?

#282186 - 09/14/06 07:28 AM
Mary_V

No, you don't get any meds for that. They need you to be an active participant :P You have to squeeze and push, stuff like that. Like I said, very unpleasant, but pretty quick. I wouldn't want to do it again, but I was fine.

Wow, I was OUT COLD when I had my colonoscopy. It doesn't take much to knock me out. It took me longer than most people to come to. I remember laying on the table and feeling the med kick in. Then the next thing I remember is waking up with my husband next to me in the recovery area. Then I have vague memories of going home. I wasn't fully awake until hours later. Maybe if you have something like that done again you should tell them you need plenty of meds.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#282197 - 09/14/06 08:27 AM
Linda Schmidt

Thanks Mary...one other question. How was drinking the magnesium citrate? Does it come flavored or did you mix it with anything?

#282201 - 09/14/06 08:46 AM
Mary_V

Different doctors prescribe different bowel prep. I don't think I drank that stuff for that test, but I think I have had it before...for another barium test. I think I got cherry. You'll have to see what your pharmacy has. It's a fairly small bottle (few hundred mL??), so it's not too bad. It was kind of like drinking a bottle of pop, but it was really strong. I would have a glass of water handy, though. You'll need to keep washing it down as you drink it. Overall it's not too bad...especially if you've ever had to do the big jug of prep stuff for a colonoscopy. That's about as bad as it gets. So, the mag citrate isn't too bad.

--------------------
~Mary

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1626 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1400

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review