All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Frustrated: need vegetarian protein suggestions
      #281746 - 09/12/06 07:51 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I became a vegetarian for humanitarian reasons; therefore, it's something I'm just not willing to give up on. However, I feel like there are so few sources of protein for me. Soy and beans both give me gas, and Beano does not seem to help. Even taking four pills before a meal doesn't seem to do any good. Do you guys have any suggestions for ways to work protein into meals and/or snacks without introducing too much fat? I LOVE peanut butter, but I'm afraid of the high fat content. I DO eat fish occasionally - maybe once or twice a week at most - but only for dinner (I have issues with eating microwaved fish!).

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Frustrated: need vegetarian protein suggestions new
      #281747 - 09/12/06 08:01 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Have you tried quorn? It's a product made from mushroom. I've had no problems with it at all. We have a minced version here as well as hamburgers et.c. though you have to check the ingredients as the hamburgers here have milk protein in them. But the minced version is just fine. No strange things added. I use it to make pasta sauces, and for mexican food instead of using minced meat.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#281748 - 09/12/06 08:07 AM
Lisa Marie

Yeah, I used to eat it and LOVED it - but then read this article about how it's made and what's really in it. EW. I won't eat it again! And pretty much all of their products have dairy, which is a HUGE trigger for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!
Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#281792 - 09/12/06 10:35 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

Hi, Lisa--Have you tried quinoa? It's pretty tasty, high in protein and can be used as a main dish, salad or dessert. I have a quinoa pudding recipe that I plan to post on the recipe board. Veggie burgers are pretty good too, but you really have to read the labels. The ones I eat that are safe are the original Gardenburger and Morningstar Farms Mushroom Lovers. There are also egg whites (you can make omelets and fritattas), nuts (and peanut butter)and hummus (I don't do well with beans, but can eat hummus and Tuscan white bean dip). I also cannot tolerate soy, but I did eat a Boca Burger in desperation last week at a work-sponsored lunch. It didn't bother me, but I know some of the Boca products contain dairy, so once again, I have to caution you to read labels. Finally, if you do eat fish, and have no way to cook it, there is always canned: tuna, salmon, clams, sardines, etc.

Quinoa, nuts, and protein powders...? new
      #281800 - 09/12/06 10:47 AM
Lisa Marie

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm hoping I'll be able to tolerate beans better once I stabilize, but right now they're just too difficult. What exactly is quinoa? How do you use it? I've never cooked with it before. Any favorite "beginner" recipes I could try that are easy?

Is there some sort of protein source I could blend into my morning smoothie (I have trouble with non-blended fruit)? Are protein powders an option, or are they not IBS safe?

Since nuts are high in fat, what would you eat them with if they're a snack? And how much at one time? Are certain nuts lower in fat than others?

Sorry for all the questions!

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Quinoa, nuts, and protein powders...? new
      #281825 - 09/12/06 11:33 AM
demo

Reged: 08/15/06
Loc: New York

you should try almond butter on rice cakes, etc. whole foods makes one in which the only ingredient is almonds. i'm totally addicted to it now.

Natural Nut butters new
      #281896 - 09/12/06 06:24 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I bought some and it has some oil just sitting on top. Maybe 1/2 inch? I'm sure you guys all know what I mean.

Should I mix it into the butter or dump it out? Does dumping it out make it "safer"? Does dumping it still allow you to spread the butter?

What do you guys usually do?

Thanks

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#281921 - 09/12/06 08:55 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

you can get so many nut and seeds butters, sunflower, pumpkin, almond, cashew, macadamia is like eating cake icing, hazlenut, etc
pureed beans are quite safe so make dips galore

Rice protein powder is available and it is veeeery safe.

#281995 - 09/13/06 09:30 AM
Lisa Marie

I will have to try the nut butters... I assume they are safer than regular (Jif) peanut butter?

Are there particular brands of rice protein powder I should look for? That sounds like a good, safe option. Are there ingredients I need to watch out for?

Thanks!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282004 - 09/13/06 10:50 AM
Chel

Reged: 06/08/06

The Morningstar Farms Mushroom Lovers burger does contain soy, wheat, egg and milk as per the ingredient list, so it may not be safe for someone who is sensitive to any or all of those products.

Morningstar Farms Mushroom Lovers Burger

One of my fave low-fat, low-cal, works well on the grill, 'burgers' is Gardenburger's Chik N'Grill. It's vegan, but does contain soy.

Chik'n Grill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 993 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14661

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review