All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Frustrated: need vegetarian protein suggestions
      #281746 - 09/12/06 07:51 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I became a vegetarian for humanitarian reasons; therefore, it's something I'm just not willing to give up on. However, I feel like there are so few sources of protein for me. Soy and beans both give me gas, and Beano does not seem to help. Even taking four pills before a meal doesn't seem to do any good. Do you guys have any suggestions for ways to work protein into meals and/or snacks without introducing too much fat? I LOVE peanut butter, but I'm afraid of the high fat content. I DO eat fish occasionally - maybe once or twice a week at most - but only for dinner (I have issues with eating microwaved fish!).

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Frustrated: need vegetarian protein suggestions new
      #281747 - 09/12/06 08:01 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Have you tried quorn? It's a product made from mushroom. I've had no problems with it at all. We have a minced version here as well as hamburgers et.c. though you have to check the ingredients as the hamburgers here have milk protein in them. But the minced version is just fine. No strange things added. I use it to make pasta sauces, and for mexican food instead of using minced meat.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#281748 - 09/12/06 08:07 AM
Lisa Marie

Yeah, I used to eat it and LOVED it - but then read this article about how it's made and what's really in it. EW. I won't eat it again! And pretty much all of their products have dairy, which is a HUGE trigger for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!
Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#281792 - 09/12/06 10:35 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

Hi, Lisa--Have you tried quinoa? It's pretty tasty, high in protein and can be used as a main dish, salad or dessert. I have a quinoa pudding recipe that I plan to post on the recipe board. Veggie burgers are pretty good too, but you really have to read the labels. The ones I eat that are safe are the original Gardenburger and Morningstar Farms Mushroom Lovers. There are also egg whites (you can make omelets and fritattas), nuts (and peanut butter)and hummus (I don't do well with beans, but can eat hummus and Tuscan white bean dip). I also cannot tolerate soy, but I did eat a Boca Burger in desperation last week at a work-sponsored lunch. It didn't bother me, but I know some of the Boca products contain dairy, so once again, I have to caution you to read labels. Finally, if you do eat fish, and have no way to cook it, there is always canned: tuna, salmon, clams, sardines, etc.

Quinoa, nuts, and protein powders...? new
      #281800 - 09/12/06 10:47 AM
Lisa Marie

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm hoping I'll be able to tolerate beans better once I stabilize, but right now they're just too difficult. What exactly is quinoa? How do you use it? I've never cooked with it before. Any favorite "beginner" recipes I could try that are easy?

Is there some sort of protein source I could blend into my morning smoothie (I have trouble with non-blended fruit)? Are protein powders an option, or are they not IBS safe?

Since nuts are high in fat, what would you eat them with if they're a snack? And how much at one time? Are certain nuts lower in fat than others?

Sorry for all the questions!

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Quinoa, nuts, and protein powders...? new
      #281825 - 09/12/06 11:33 AM
demo

Reged: 08/15/06
Loc: New York

you should try almond butter on rice cakes, etc. whole foods makes one in which the only ingredient is almonds. i'm totally addicted to it now.

Natural Nut butters new
      #281896 - 09/12/06 06:24 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I bought some and it has some oil just sitting on top. Maybe 1/2 inch? I'm sure you guys all know what I mean.

Should I mix it into the butter or dump it out? Does dumping it out make it "safer"? Does dumping it still allow you to spread the butter?

What do you guys usually do?

Thanks

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#281921 - 09/12/06 08:55 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

you can get so many nut and seeds butters, sunflower, pumpkin, almond, cashew, macadamia is like eating cake icing, hazlenut, etc
pureed beans are quite safe so make dips galore

Rice protein powder is available and it is veeeery safe.

#281995 - 09/13/06 09:30 AM
Lisa Marie

I will have to try the nut butters... I assume they are safer than regular (Jif) peanut butter?

Are there particular brands of rice protein powder I should look for? That sounds like a good, safe option. Are there ingredients I need to watch out for?

Thanks!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282004 - 09/13/06 10:50 AM
Chel

Reged: 06/08/06

The Morningstar Farms Mushroom Lovers burger does contain soy, wheat, egg and milk as per the ingredient list, so it may not be safe for someone who is sensitive to any or all of those products.

Morningstar Farms Mushroom Lovers Burger

One of my fave low-fat, low-cal, works well on the grill, 'burgers' is Gardenburger's Chik N'Grill. It's vegan, but does contain soy.

Chik'n Grill

#282140 - 09/13/06 08:44 PM
Miso

nutribiotic is the most common rice protein brand, so try looking for that one, they have no added ingredients other than stevia and cocoa in the chocolate, vanimalll bean in the vanilla and nothing in the plain.

#282141 - 09/13/06 08:46 PM
Miso

the original gardenburger has about 3 different kinds of cheese in it.

#282143 - 09/13/06 08:49 PM
Miso

Amy's organic california burgers have decent protein and are vegan and soy free and are great, also the texas burgers are good too and they are vegan with say and a great barbeque sauce with 12 grams of protein per patty. The tofurky brand stuff is very natural ingredients wise, better than yves, but is made with soy, even thoiugh it is organic non gmo, so if soy agrees with you gove them a whirls, the sausages work well in casseroles, there are slices and hot dogs, and all are not simulated beef flavours, more chicken ish and of course turkyish. personally to me they just taste good when i am trapped for time and can't make bean nurgers from scratch.

Re: Natural Nut butters new
      #282145 - 09/13/06 08:56 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Mix the oil in (or dump some of it if you want to lower fat content) and store it in the fridge so it will not separate so quickly. I get a premixed natural PB in the health food dept. that is already mixed up and refridgerated so that you don't have to do that part. Haven't found other butters that do this. Wish they would. You can also store it up side down after you do this which helps with separating but make SURE the lid is very tight.

#282205 - 09/14/06 08:58 AM
Lisa Marie

You guys have great suggestions!! I'm actually looking forward to grocery shopping this weekend! Any easy-to-make bean dips that you all would recommend?

Two more questions:
Has anyone tried fake meat deli slices? What brands are good?

Can anyone tell me about quinoa? What is it, and how do you cook it?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282209 - 09/14/06 09:17 AM
Miso

good bean dips are hummus made with chickpeas or balck beans and tuscan bean dips which is white beans ans tomato and sage, check out vegweb.com in the different sections for good recipes and since its a vegan website there is no milk in the recipes
my best recommendations for cook books would be how it all vegan and vive le vegan.

Deli meat slices, the tofurky brand ones are really good, so are their sausages, they are made with organic tofu and not weird soy protein isolate gook.

#282247 - 09/14/06 11:09 AM
Lisa Marie

That's so funny you mentioned those books. I don't have those two, but I do have "La Dolce Vegan" and absolutely LOVE it! She has some truly yummy recipes.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282293 - 09/14/06 03:37 PM
Miso

la dolce vegan is the 3rd in the collection and in my opinion the 3rd best, i own all 3, but the first one , how it all vegan is the best one by far.

#282335 - 09/15/06 05:26 AM
kalosis

Hi. I seem to do fine with pb so you may want to try. Also I make a lot of eggbeater/egg white omelettes. Do you have a trader joes by you they have a lot of veg stuff?I know dairy is suppose to be off but some I heard is less hard on your body so I'm trying that too. I have issues with some of the meat subs but was going to try the morning star strips to see.

#282393 - 09/15/06 09:53 AM
Lisa Marie

No Trader Joe's, but plenty of organic-type grocery stores. I don't SEEM to have trouble with PB, but wasn't sure if I should be eating more natural nut butters than brands like "jif". Do those brands put "extra" stuff in PB that's bad for IBS?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282418 - 09/15/06 11:47 AM
wombat

Reged: 08/18/06
Loc: NM

Lisa Marie,
Eating lots of PB can be a good source of protein for you, but the type of PB is important. Avoid the standard PB brands like Skippy and Jif. Get the "old fashioned" PB.

Skippy and Jif remove the valuable peanut oil from the PB and substitute other oils and fillers to make it smoother and non-separating. Peanut oil is one of the 'good' oils.

Old fashioned peanut butter leaves in the peanut oil, so it separates if it isn't stirred up and kept in the fridge. I think Laura Scudders and Smuckers makes old fashioned PB.

#282428 - 09/15/06 01:03 PM
princess_pp83

Reged: 03/16/06

I've really been enjoying an 'organic' crunchy peanut butter this week. Ingredients: peanuts, palm oil. Have been wanting to try some nut butters (need some high fat as trying to put on weight) but have found this one to be the cheapest. I have been enjoying MARMITE with peanut butter on white toast, followe by marmite and HUMMUS on white toast and a small amount of oat milk. This is my bedtime snack, with a banana, which (apart from a bit of D)SEEMS to be going down pretty well. I can just sit and smell the peanut butter and feel, mmm, just yummy. Same goes for marmite (I buy a reduced salt version) Sooo good

#282433 - 09/15/06 01:57 PM
Lisa Marie

Thanks for the great info! I have to admit to being a bit "scared" by the PB that separates, but I will give it a shot. Do the "old fashioned" kinds tend to have more or less fat in them than the Skippy/Jif kinds?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282475 - 09/15/06 06:44 PM
Miso

also try oatmeal as a bed time snack, 1 instant packet of natures path organic oatmeal has 6 grams of protein, 4 grams of fat and is so soothing, i then add a 1/4 cup frozen blueberries and 4 walnut halves, i have this most nights and it seems to be helping me to gain weight, the nightime snacks really help. I just make sure its 2 hours before bed so that i am not still trying to digest when i lie down to sleep.

#282478 - 09/15/06 06:46 PM
Miso

try to get natural ones, they should contain nothing but the ground roasted nut, no added oil or anything, almond butter is amazing, so is cashew when you want something lucious, there is also hazlenut and macadamia nut and then blends of various ones, the seed butters are also good on veggies, whereas i find th enut butters go better with fruit.

#282504 - 09/16/06 02:24 AM
kalosis

Its around the same fat. My nutritonist said that in the grand scheme of things even jiff is healthy and really not that much of a diff from natural.Its like organic fruit vs reg almost. I can't stand the floating oil in natural but I think it is what your used to.Also mixing pb in oatmeal is yum for an ideas.

#282567 - 09/16/06 02:13 PM
Lisa Marie

The last thing I want to do is gain weight!! Besides, oats are on my "no-no" list; they give me really bad gas, unfortunately. I used to LOVE eating oatmeal every morning...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282569 - 09/16/06 02:17 PM
Lisa Marie

I bought my first jar of "natural" PB yesterday. Yay! I'm starting slow... i ended up dumping out the excess oil that had settled, and it still tasted fine!

I remember someone (you, Miso?) mentioning that seeds are easier to digest than nuts. Does that go for PB too, or is digesting PB not usually an issue? I just know that high fat things are a trigger for me, so I have to be careful about that, too.

I looked for the nutribiotic rice protein powder yesterday, too, but my HFS was all sold out. I'm going to try another store tomorrow.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282582 - 09/16/06 03:55 PM
Miso

PB is individual since it is a legume, i just like almond butter better, seems to go down better for me, but since peanut butter is already a butter it has better chances than if it were straight peanuts of digesting without issues.

Re: Almond butter new
      #282621 - 09/16/06 07:58 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I like the MaraNantha Raw Almond Butter best. You can incorporate it into some fabulous sauces for grains, perhaps?

Kate, IBS-D, vegan.

Raw Almond butter new
      #282640 - 09/17/06 07:59 AM
Jordy

What's the difference between raw and regular? I forget! Is one type better for C?

--------------------

Re: Raw Almond butter new
      #282651 - 09/17/06 09:54 AM
Miso

no difference for c, but the raw has a different flavour and texture and is well, raw so the diff is the reguklar is roasted. the raw is better as it retains omre nutrients.

Re: Raw Almond butter new
      #282653 - 09/17/06 10:02 AM
Wind

Raw nuts/nutbutters are healthier in general. Heat has not altered the fatty acids.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Almond butter new
      #282804 - 09/18/06 08:46 AM
Lisa Marie

That is the brand of PB I bought! I tried it over the weekend and love the taste. Next time I will try their raw almond butter.

I found the plain rice protein powder and tried it this morning. I have to admit, I could definitely taste it in my smoothie, which I didn't like too much... oh well!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Me too...same brand but Almond butter new
      #282823 - 09/18/06 10:28 AM
Jordy

And it is yummy!!! I dumped half the oil out. Did you keep all the oil? The "raw" butter looked too rough. It's safe, huh?

--------------------

Re: Me too...same brand but Almond butter new
      #282943 - 09/18/06 06:38 PM
Wind

Actually, I dumped alot of the oil out too. Yes, it's safe in small quantities & with SF.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Almond butter-sauces?? new
      #282947 - 09/18/06 07:10 PM
Jordy

Would love some ideas, Wind!

How much oil do you poor out? More than half?

--------------------

Re: Almond butter-sauces?? new
      #283039 - 09/19/06 11:04 AM
Wind

I just tipped the jar over & let it all the visible oil drip out--so, most of it, I suppose!

Re: sauces

It adds decadence to a thick soup/stew. I got this inspiration from a Deepak Chopra recipe. Alot of African recipes for soups/stews use peanutbutter, but this is way better. It's fabulous when blended with herbs for a kind of pesto. It makes an awesome "creamy" dressing for noodles or quinoa & veggies. I usually use a little rice vinegar, lime juice, soy sauce, etc. It combines well with spicy stuff like chiles and curry. I've even blended it with silken tofu & herbs for sauces. Search the web & you'll find tons of ideas. Try it in a sort of "hummus" too! Or with roasted pureed red peppers! You're only limited by your imagination. Oh! It's great in a satay kind of sauce/dip as well.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Frustrated: need vegetarian protein suggestions-Quron new
      #291246 - 11/25/06 02:14 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Thank you for posting the page by John Robbins on Quorn - my daughter has just discovered it and thought it was great - yikes, I just read John Robbins info on it and send it to her - thank you very much. Debbie IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 185 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14668

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review