All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
"helping hand"
      #281497 - 09/10/06 07:53 AM

Unregistered

IBS-c, i can never go to the bathroom without self-moving it along, is this very common? I mean its right down there close to coming out, but i have to get it out with my hand, or else i can't go. What's the problem, in the long run is this dangerous or anything? sorry for the gross stuff.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: "helping hand" new
      #281519 - 09/10/06 10:24 AM
Tilden

Reged: 08/13/06
Loc: Bay Area

I'm sorry, that really sounds uncomfortable. This has happened to me a few times and I know it sucks. I'm not sure how common it is or if it's dangerous. I know it can be embarrassing, but you should probably ask your doctor about whether this could cause any other problems if this is happening on a regular basis.

Are you drinking alot of water and getting enough soluble fiber in your diet? This would probably help soften up your BM's so it's easier to go. I'm pretty new around here so others will probably have some more specific advise for you.

I'd do a search on here about constipation, I bet you could find some good tips and suggestions as well.

--------------------
Jen

#281522 - 09/10/06 10:32 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Are you eating enough insoluble fibre?

#281562 - 09/10/06 05:21 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I've had the problem in the past...but the water and IF have helped a lot!! Had to help my son (as a baby) with that as well. I felt so bad for the little guy.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#281621 - 09/11/06 09:18 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I have found that a magnesium citrate supplement called "Natural Calm" is very helpful with C. I've tried regular plain-jane mag-citrate supplements and they don't work as well as the NC. If your store doesn't carry it, (it might be a HFS thing), you can probably find it online. It's pricey, but one bottle will last you a LONG time. I mix it with tea every night before bed.

Others have also mentioned ground flax seeds, though I've never tried them.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#281660 - 09/11/06 01:16 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hi there!

I've had a paralysis disease called transverse myelitis (TM) and in TM patients it's quite common with constipation. I know that many TM patients use a finger to help stimulate the BM. (Typically called digital stimulation which can be misunderstood as using an electrical device but it simply means inserting a finger.) Of course then the bowels are already affected by the TM, so I still think you should talk to your doctor about this as there might be other things you can do. But as far as I know for TM patients it's ok to use this technique daily.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Natural Calm amount new
      #281915 - 09/12/06 07:55 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Hey, Lisa. How much natural calm do you take a day? Do you still take a cal/mag with it?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Natural Calm amount new
      #281918 - 09/12/06 08:29 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

What is natural calm??? Thanks

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#281996 - 09/13/06 09:34 AM
Lisa Marie

Hi Jordy,

I'm somewhere between 1.5 and 2 teaspoons of NC each evening. I take my cal/mag supplement in the early afternoon so that I'm not taking so much magnesium at one time.

BMs keep getting better! I had a short setback after going out of town for the weekend (two days of C), but things seem to be getting back to where they were.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#281997 - 09/13/06 09:36 AM
Lisa Marie

Natural Calm is a magnesium citrate supplement. Magensium is a natural laxative, which is why most IBS-Cers take a calcium supplement that contains magnesium, to offset the constipating effect of the calcium. NC is a powder that you add to water/tea/juice and drink at night. It also relaxes you and helps you sleep! I'm guessing Whole Foods would have it, I buy it at Wild Oats. It has worked wonders for my C!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282113 - 09/13/06 05:48 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I'm sure this is a question that a doc can answer, but can a pregnant woman take this? I'm assuming yes, because it's just mag citrate.

I'm 15 weeks along and want to make sure.

--------------------
~jules

#282207 - 09/14/06 09:07 AM
Lisa Marie

actually, i remember reading on my bottle of natural calm that they have a formulation especially for expectant mothers!! i would check the product website.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

CAN I GET DEPENDENT ON?Re: Natural Calm amount new
      #282233 - 09/14/06 10:34 AM

Unregistered

i don't want anything i will get dependant on,i took gycolax and that rarely did anything. I don't like supplements...oh, and i took benefiber for about a year, and drank plenty of water, never seemed to help me, maybe i should take a powder fiber or another brand?

Re: CAN I GET DEPENDENT ON?Re: Natural Calm amount new
      #282244 - 09/14/06 11:06 AM
Lisa Marie

From what I have learned, Natural Calm is meant to be taken as a daily supplement, just like a vitamin or calcium. It's safe and non-addicting, which is contrary to what I've heard about things like Milk of Magnesia.

I don't know about you, but I'm WAY more open to taking natural supplements than a bunch of prescription drugs every day!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282277 - 09/14/06 12:54 PM
jules

My local hfs had Natural Calm Mama on sale, so I picked up a bottle. I just had my first dosage, so we'll see what happens...

--------------------
~jules

#282285 - 09/14/06 01:45 PM
Lisa Marie

That's great! Let me know how it works for you. Make sure you take it in the evening; it can make you sleepy...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282366 - 09/15/06 08:26 AM
jules

Talked to my OB, she said it was fine.

I was having a really bad night last night, the worst one in months. I took 1t of Natural Calm around 3 p.m. or so...nothing. Bloating got worse. Then around 6 p.m. I took another dose of 2t. Still nothing. Felt even worse, bloated and in pain. Went to bed feeling that way.

This morning I took a 3t dosage and I finally went (before I had even finished the drink)! It was a run-to-the-potty type deal, but I feel so much better. I think that now that things are moving better, I'll be able to regulate my dosage and prevent things from blocking up again.

I'm also taking something called Florify Probiotic from a wellness company that I'm building a business with. My doc looked at the ingredients and said it was fine. I've heard good things about it, so we'll see what happens. I tried a probiotic a long time ago, and can't remember if that helped or not. All I know is that it was really expensive. I think it was that Primal defense stuff.

Just wanted to give an update.

--------------------
~jules

#282391 - 09/15/06 09:48 AM
Lisa Marie

Well... I'm glad it worked - eventually! Like I said, I started with just 1/2 teaspoon before bed, and have spent a couple of weeks working up to my current 2.5 teaspoons. I'm going to stay at this dose for awhile and start increasing my acacia again. Things "came out" well this morning!

Not sure why it gave you bloating/gas... did it make you sleepy? Since I take it at night, I don't notice any side effects from it (other than tiredness).

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282398 - 09/15/06 10:07 AM
jules

Wow...still working over here!

I feel as though I've been totally emptied out. I feel really really good.

I'm going to try two 2t doses tomorrow and see what that does. I have to go to a wedding tomorrow up in Traverse City (2.5 hours away) and don't want to be rushing out of the room for a bathroom-bathroom emergency.

Last night, I did not notice any sleepiness with either dose. But, by 7 p.m. I'm wiped out and ready for bed anyway, I've been that way since I was pregnant.

I did feel extremely tired right after my morning dose today. Felt like I could lie down and sleep for three hours. I felt more alert after I went to the bathroom.

Does anyone else notice that if you're backed up, you feel more tired and sluggish? I usually feel that way if it's been a while since my last BM.

--------------------
~jules

#282410 - 09/15/06 10:58 AM
KateGreen

Reged: 09/15/06

When I have headache I drink natural juice,
then I gargle my throat with sunflower oil, then spit out it
It simple method feal work!!!

#282435 - 09/15/06 02:04 PM
Lisa Marie

Yay! Such a great feeling, huh?

I definitely get all out of sorts when I'm "backed up." Lately, that gives me backaches, too. But yes, it definitely makes me more tired and unmotivated (which is not a good combination at work!)

I'm so glad it's working for you!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282442 - 09/15/06 04:23 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Where do you get the Natural Calm - what company makes it? Do you take anything else to help with the C? Thanks, Debbie

#282443 - 09/15/06 04:25 PM
feelinggood

I totally feel fatigued with I am C. Debbie,

#282450 - 09/15/06 04:54 PM
jules

I just went online and looked it up. It's made by a guy named Peter Gillham. Check first with your local health food store, then you won't have to pay for shipping...and you get it a whole heck of a lot faster.

It doesn't taste so good to me. Neither does the mag citrate that you buy in glass bottles at Walgreens either. But, I mixed mine with more water the second time and that sort of diluted the taste.

Any suggestions to make it more palatable? I want to stay away from fruit juices, however.

I'm still feeling pretty good here, and that's even after a large lunch, with a lot of unsafe foods!

--------------------
~jules

#282470 - 09/15/06 06:29 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Any health food store in canada should sell it, we do here in calgary, so your local place should have it, or at least be able to order it for you, however sometimes it is just quicker and cheaper to order it online yourself. AVIVA.ca sells it oline from a canadian site so you don't have to do conversions or pay duty, they are out of winnipeg and charge a flat rate shiping charge fo 7.50 which isn't too bad, better deal if you are ordering more than 1 product. some in canada may ship for free though.

#282490 - 09/15/06 07:19 PM
feelinggood

Thanks for the information - I will look into that.

#282574 - 09/16/06 02:34 PM
Lisa Marie

I actually like the taste of it! Is there a really strong-flavored tea you like that you could mix it with? Or just try to dilute it more.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

not a dependance, its a deficiency new
      #282581 - 09/16/06 03:51 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

natural calm is meant to do all its good things by fixing our body's deficiency of magnesium, we all get told about calcium, but more people are magnesium deficient than calcium, its just not publicized, so it isn't that you are dependent on it in the drug sense, but that your body needs it to function sense replacing the deficiency that exists in so pmany peoples diets. Plus it has been shown that with differenty disorders that our body needs more of one nutrient than others and for ibs c magnesium is one of them, same with fibromyalgia patients, that why they take magnesium and malic acid supplements, it helps their body replenish store to deal with the muscle spasms, fatigue etc.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1996 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13752

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review