All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Aloe vera juice
      #281398 - 09/09/06 06:13 AM
mandi1655

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: ny, usa

Is anyone using aloe vera juice? If so what kind. I am using the Georges aloe vera juice from one of my HFS. I just want to make sure I am taking stuff that works well. I read that 95% of the aloe vera juice on the market doesn't work!! [af]

--------------------
I choose to be a person living with a disease, not a diseased person.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Aloe vera juice new
      #341537 - 02/02/09 11:21 AM
lkwas

Reged: 09/11/05

I've used Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Juice for quite some
time now. I do find it helps with digestion. I'm to understand it works best drinking it before or after a meal.

Re: Aloe vera juice new
      #341538 - 02/02/09 11:28 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You may find Heather's write-up "Aloe Vera and IBS: Can aloe vera help my IBS symptoms? Is it safe?" in this newsletter of interest.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

please read new
      #341550 - 02/02/09 05:15 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have cut and pasted some of the comments from the link Syl gave above.
Quote:

Because aloe is well-known as a gentle external treatment for minor burns and skin irritations, it's easy to assume that it would be safe for use internally as well. This is not necessarily true. Even though aloe vera is a plant, and thus "natural", it is still classified by the FDA as a Class 1 harsh stimulant laxative. There are substances called anthroquinones and anthrones in aloe, which produce a laxative effect by increasing colonic peristalsis and intestinal water content, by opening chloride channels of the colonic membrane to cause a net reduction of liquid absorption by the colon.

In plain English, this means that aloe causes faster and stronger contractions of the colon - something that people with IBS are already overly prone to, and which can cause violent abdominal cramps, painful spasms, and diarrhea.

The safety of aloe is another concern. All anthranoid laxatives (not just aloe, but senna and cascara sagrada as well) can cause melanosis coli, cathartic colon, and possibly increase the risk of colonic cancer. (In fact, genotoxicity studies show that aloe-containing laxatives pose cancer risks to humans even when used as directed.)
As if this isn't bad enough, chronic use of aloe can also lead to serious medical consequences such as fluid and electrolyte imbalance, steatorrhea, gastroenteropathy, osteomalacia, and vitamin and mineral deficiencies. When aloe is discontinued, radiographic and functional changes in the colon may only partially return to normal because of permanent drug-induced neuromuscular damage to the colon.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: please read new
      #341556 - 02/03/09 06:38 AM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

Minnie and Syl - could you tell me where you got your information from? I have been using liquid aloe for at least a year if not longer, but it really seems to help me. I tend more toward constipation so it doesn't affect me like it might someone with IBS-D. I did read the article on Heather's website but I'm curious on where the info on cancer came from. Thanks!

#341557 - 02/03/09 07:00 AM
Syl

Read Heather's newsletter, Some notes on Aloe Vera and Aloe, cascara sagrada, and senna laxtives can cause cathartic colon.

Aloe vera and senna are stimulant laxatives. Here is an IBS reference from the University of North Carolina School of Medicine that says "If a laxative is needed, osmotic laxatives such as Miralax, sorbitol or lactulose (all of which are prescription drugs) are recommended over stimulant laxatives. Stimulant laxatives, when taken over a period of time, may harm the bowel and should be avoided for chronic use. Most over-the-counter varieties are stimulant laxatives, including "natural" laxatives containing senna."

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#341574 - 02/03/09 01:56 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

From my online friends who have used aloe and found success with it, they say look for whole leaf brands with the aloevin (laxative-causing)agent filtered out. I also hear the GEL may be better to take than the JUICE if you have D issues.Lily of the Desert is one brand name others have mentioned that is good. Both gel and juice products in this brand name have the laxative part removed. Not sure about the other brands. I think it is like anything else. You won't know if it works for you until you try it yourself.

Syl new
      #341661 - 02/04/09 06:38 PM
Little Minnie

do you think there has historically ever been use of aloe internally by native cultures? Just curious.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Syl new
      #341674 - 02/05/09 05:03 AM
Syl

An interesting question. I am not sure. There is a good historical overview the use of aloe vera on this web site. The plant isn't indigenous to North America. It is a succulent belonging to the lily family that is native to the Mediterranean region and northern Africa. Apparently it was brought here after 1700 and Aloe was officially listed as a purgative and a skin protectant by the United States pharmacopoeia 1820. Another history of Aloe is given in this book "The history of vegetable plants in the pharmacopoeia of the United States" (see page 9) published in 1887. It also gives a brief overview of Acacia, peppermint and fennel.

I have not been able to find a reference to its use by North American native cultures perhaps because it isn't an indigenous plant to North America.

--------------------

Re: Syl new
      #341720 - 02/05/09 04:59 PM
Little Minnie

I know it was used topically and in burial preparations and with other topicals. But I suspected that in history it wasn't used internally because they seem to know how best to use medicinal plants. However its use as a purgative speaks for itself!

--------------------

Bloating big time new
      #342149 - 02/15/09 04:05 PM
AnnieM

Reged: 02/15/09

I have been reading some of the messages and now I'm getting really worried. I have IBS-C and have had this for 25 years. The constipation has gotten so bad that I have taken laxatives for years. I now have bloating so bad I can't seem to get rid of it. It might last for months and then subside for a little while. This has started to get real bad this last year. Since Zelnorm went off the market, I have taken magnesium and cascara sagrada every night to make myself go. Now with what I've read I may have ruined my colon with the cascara. Is there any hope for me now? What happens to you if you have a "cathartic colon"?

ALOE is completely fine if new
      #342171 - 02/16/09 06:51 AM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

All the irritants and laxative components are removed- like in Georges Aloe...many healthcare practitioners recommend Georges Aloe. I used to take whole aloe and went everyday but stopped cause i found out it was a harsh laxative and i didnt want to become dependant on it

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 459 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4297

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review