All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and Gastric Bypass
      #281384 - 09/08/06 08:13 PM
Patty_S

Reged: 09/08/06

Hello everyone,
My name is Patty and I'm new and I'm hoping that I am posting on the right board.
15 months ago I had gastric bypass surgery. I have to be on a special diet and limited amount of food as it is..no sugar, no carbonated drinks, low fat ect. Over the past couple of months I have started having horrible abdominal pain, bloating, gas, and nausea. If I'm not constipated, I have diarrhea. Most of my attacks are at my job. I work 12 hour shifts and I'm on my feet the whole time, and I spend a good part of my time running to the bathroom.
I went to a gastro doctor and he told me to take Zelnorm and do laxatives and enemas. That has made it worse! If I do that in the morning before work I have gas pain all day long.I work in very close proximety to others and needless to say, this can be very embarrassing.I need relief from this in someway or I'm afraid I could lose my job because of all the time I spend in the bathroom. All I have for lunch everyday is chicken broth and water and I still get attacks. I have 2 questions..has anyone ever heard of gastric bypass patients developing IBS and could stress play a part in these attacks? Thanks in advance.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Gastric Bypass new
      #281393 - 09/09/06 03:47 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I don't know anything about gastric bypass...you should probably ask your Dr. about that. As far as attacks, stress is my biggest trigger...and the root cause of my IBS. Stress = bad tummy. Also, you said you have chicken broth every day. That could be causing major problems. I am SUPER sensitive to MSG (mono-sodium glutamate). It is a trigger for a lot of people. Most boughten soups and broth contain MSG. Try one that doesn't. Just read the ingredients. Most organic soups/broths don't have it. I would start by changing that and trying to manage your stress.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Dr. advises laxatives and enemas? new
      #281395 - 09/09/06 04:05 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I'm pretty sure that laxatives and enemas is not the greatest idea. I think maybe seeing a different GI doctor might be a good thing to do. Have you tried Heather's breaking the cycle diet for a few days? That just doesn't sound right to me. Hopefully others will chime in.

Re: IBS and Gastric Bypass new
      #370865 - 02/08/14 09:17 PM
Majinjagail

Reged: 01/30/14

Patty,
Maginjagail here, I've had IBS for 40 years and had the gastric by pass in 2010. I've noticed that I cannot eat chicken broth purchased anywhere!. I must make it myself by poaching the chicken myself with only salt and a very very small amount of chopped onion in the broth, which I strain out. Then I chop up the chicken in the broth and only eat a small amount of chicken and broth at one time. There should be nothing in that, that will cause you pain. If you eat the onions they will hurt you, cause bass. This is something I just learned in the last couple of days because I'm new here too! Don't use bouillon cubes or chicken broth purchased from the grocery store or restaurant. You do not know what seasonings they may have used that can cause you even more D and more gas.

One of the things I stumbled upon in the last 40 years since I was diagnosed with IBS-D is plain toasted white bread calms the tummy down, as does plain baked white potato with noting on it but a little salt. No wonder these foods are on Heather's safe foods.

My Bariatric surgeon just could not understand this, and accused me of being a carb addict. Needless to say, I don't go to her except to keep up on my blood work. I had been having problems with anemia so I had been eating red meat and my blood is nearly back to normal. I've stopped eating the red meat in the last week. Hard to do, but right now, it's necessary to get the D under control. Hope you can get your symptoms under control too.

There is a product called Devrom. It is a capsule that when taken by mouth takes the bad smell out of the gas. Most people who take it are by pass patients and those with the osotomey pouch. It does work, I have taken it in the past when I worked. It is available online and is not too expensive. Good Luck and good heath!
Virginia

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 312 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2166

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review