All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
gas and stuff new
      #280799 - 09/04/06 11:57 AM

Unregistered

Does anyone ever feel a gas bubble, or something, then feel it up in their throat like a swirling or like your going to burp, does anyone relate or know what this is?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: gas and stuff new
      #280863 - 09/05/06 08:10 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Do you get an acidy taste in your mouth, a burning in your throat, or feel like there's something stuck in your throat? Either way, it could be acid reflux or indigestion.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#280975 - 09/05/06 08:32 PM

Unregistered

Well i went to the doctor monthes ago because i was having horrible breath and like a soar throat feeling that wasn't very noticeable, i was told it was acid reflux, i took omperazole for it for a very short time and have never had it since, must be indigestion because i don't get any hearburn feeling or anything, just a feeling in my throat after my stomach does a gas thing.

#280983 - 09/06/06 03:31 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I had the same thing and just rare heartburn so I was sure it was a hiatal hernia or something but after my endoscopy, it turned out to be reflux. I took Nexium for about 8 weeks and it healed up and I'm fine. No more gas bubbles. No more feeling of having something stuck in my throat. No more sore throat (was usually just in the a.m.). Very well could be reflux even without the heartburn....sometimes it's there and we just don't feel it!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#281007 - 09/06/06 08:12 AM
Lisa Marie

When I was recently diagnosed with acid reflux, I didn't have the heartburn feeling, just the feeling of a lump in my throat. The prilosec is definitely helping.

Are you taking peppermint supplements or drinking peppermint tea? These will aggravate acid reflux. The peppermint capsules did it for me.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#281028 - 09/06/06 10:38 AM

Unregistered

no, i'm waiting for them in the mail, i don't care about my reflux getting bad from peppermint, i want relief from ibs, when i'm at school all day i can just pop a peppermint or something.

This is not a good idea new
      #281035 - 09/06/06 11:00 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Reflux can be more than just indigestion. It's not the horror story the Nexium ads make it out to be, but it can damage the esophagous and cause problems down the road. You should really talk to your doctor about this and if you're sure you have reflux, I'd at least take it very easy on the peppermint. You can probably use the caps, but Heather's peppermint tea is very powerful.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: This is not a good idea new
      #281039 - 09/06/06 12:15 PM
Lisa Marie

I agree with Sand - sort of. I would honestly stay away from the peppermint caps. I was only taking them twice a day (and peppermint tea was never a problem for me), and that's what caused my reflux to begin with. Please discuss this with your doctor or pharmacist.

I understand your frustration, but there's no "magic pill" that is going to make your IBS instantly disappear. It's a long period (months, maybe a year) of following the diet and trying to determine what foods aggravate your condition. It's different for everyone. You have to be patient. The people on these boards have a lot of knowledge; take advantage of it.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#281068 - 09/06/06 03:08 PM

Unregistered

I'm in high school all day, what do you reccomend when i have ibs problems? should i run out of my class and walk a few miles to home and boil some tea? i don't think so...

#281078 - 09/06/06 04:10 PM
Sand

What you can and cannot tolerate in the way of peppermint varies from person to person. I have mild reflux. I can tolerate store-bought peppermint tea, but Heather's is too strong for me. I can tolerate peppermint candies. I never had trouble with the peppermint caps, although I've seen other people post that, like Lisa Marie, they did.

All I'm saying - and I think all Lisa Marie is saying - is that reflux is something to be cautious about, not something to brush off, assuming it's "just indigestion". That's why I think you need to talk to your doctor about it and see if he knows how bad it is.

If you feel you can tolerate peppermint tea, caps, and candy, fine. If it makes your reflux worse, consider talking to your doctor about a presciption antispasmodic instead.

(Is this National Sarcasm Week? Did I miss the memo?)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#281082 - 09/06/06 04:43 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Reflux can get bad. Mine got to the point that I was having little attacks. I felt tightness in my chest, pain and then had trouble breathing...all from the reflux. The Nexium worked well for me.

I wouldn't take peppermint if I were you. It may sooth your IBS some but you'd be surprised how miserable reflux can make you if you don't take care of it.

BTW, I agree with Sand. The sarcasm is uncalled for. The people that have responded to your post were merely trying to help. That's what this board is for.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#281090 - 09/06/06 07:02 PM

Unregistered

i do truly appreciate this information, the sarcasm was out of my own frustration and not meant twards anything posted, i wanted to know what i should do when i'm in school with ibs problems...? would it be reasonable to eat the fennel out of the teabags if the capsules cause me problems, what can i do during school all the time?

What kind of symptoms are you having during school? -nt- new
      #281161 - 09/07/06 08:41 AM
Sand

--------------------

Re: What kind of symptoms are you having during school? -nt- new
      #281178 - 09/07/06 10:34 AM

Unregistered

gas, spasms, pain, some embarassing noises

antispasmodics new
      #281180 - 09/07/06 10:43 AM
Lisa Marie

Have you talked with your doctor about trying antispasmodics? They would probably help a LOT with those symptoms. Bentyl works great for me.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Peppermint caps, fennel caps (Miso?), fennel tea, and OTC anti-gas meds new
      #281239 - 09/07/06 03:07 PM
Sand

If I were you, I would try the peppermint capsules. They're enteric coated, which means they are supposed to dissolve in the bowel, not in the stomach. Be sure to take them as directed - if I remember correctly, you take them on an empty stomach so they take the express route out of the stomach. And be very cautious. See if you're tasting peppermint or your reflux gets worse. And don't take them right before bed or right before you lie down.

If the capsules bother you or if you'd rather be super-safe with regard to your reflux, then definitely talk to your doctor about prescription anti-spasmodics. Peppermint is a natural anti-spasmodic, so prescription anti-spasmodics should have the same effect. The only downside is that they can make you a little spacy.

If you can't take the peppermint capsules, then for the gas, you might try fennel capsules. I don't know much about them, but some people have posted their Health Food Stores carry them - maybe Miso can chime in.

Also, if you can take beverages with you, you can brew fennel tea and drink it at school. Herbal teas are best hot because the heat itself is very soothing, but lukewarm should help, too.

And there are OTC anti-gas meds. I don't know much about them, but you can search for stuff like Gas-X and simethicone.

And, of course, the EFI Diet should help calm things down in the long run.

HTH. Good luck.

--------------------

#281241 - 09/07/06 03:19 PM
sophiejay

Reged: 07/26/06
Loc: England

i just wanted to say i can completley sympathise with your situation i was going to school but had to drop out because my ibs was sooo bad so i just wanted to say well done for sticking at it and I hope your ibs gets better soon well done again

Re: antispasmodics new
      #281248 - 09/07/06 04:46 PM
scigal

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: Texas

I agree about the Bentyl. I am a teacher and cannot just run off to the bathroom, nor can I make "noises" and odors in a room full of 10-11 year olds. I take Bentyl twice a day and it works great. If I am having an "off" day, I can take as many as four per day. I drink peppermint or ginger tea all throughout the day and I always have my Altoids on hand. I don't have GERD or heartburn, so the peppermint doesn't bother me. Hope you find some relief soon.

Christy

#281252 - 09/07/06 05:57 PM

Unregistered

I swore to myself to quite all the prescriptions, and i have, heather's products work just as well as the chlordiaz i was on(took one at bedtime) I guess if the casules don't ever cause me problems, i took 2 today, and they didn't, i can pop them at school.

Re: Peppermint caps, fennel caps (Miso?), fennel tea, and OTC anti-gas meds
      #281257 - 09/07/06 07:35 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

fennel caps should be available at all health food stores, bu tthere is a catch, you will rarely find fennel oil caps, so it will be the whole herb in the capsule, this can in some super sensitive people cause problems, for me all whole herbs in cap form make me nauseous whereas tinctures are fine, so you could also try a fennel tincture that you just put a few drops under your tongue and swallow or just chew the seeds. The most effective way is the tincture which is super concentrated yet easy to absorb or doing th etea and you are essentially making a quick tincture, but in a pinch chew the seeds. If peppermint doesn't bother you then by all means you can go with that.

#281844 - 09/12/06 12:28 PM
demo

Reged: 08/15/06
Loc: New York

so, bentyl helps a lot with gas? i have crazy symptoms at night and sometimes in the morning. is it the safest antispasmodic for ibs-c?

#281847 - 09/12/06 12:46 PM
Lisa Marie

I'm not sure what you mean by "safest", but it has never made my C worse.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

National Sarcasm Week new
      #281895 - 09/12/06 06:22 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

Sarcasm is a natural bi-product of high school. But we'll accept that, I guess.

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

#281962 - 09/13/06 07:12 AM
demo

i just didn't know if there was an antispasmodic out there that didn't have constipation as a side effect. i guess that's contradictory because of it's methods. you can't be on zelnorm and an antispasmodic at once, right? that would be doing two opposite things to your digestive motility. so you don't have any less bms on it?

Re: Peppermint caps, fennel caps (Miso?), fennel tea, and OTC anti-gas meds new
      #281971 - 09/13/06 07:47 AM
demo

do you know of a brand that makes fennel oil caps?

#281990 - 09/13/06 09:15 AM
Lisa Marie

No, but I also don't take it regularly. I used to take ~2 pills per day, in the afternoon, when my gas and bloating would start. Since starting Heather's diet, I try not to take it at all, unless I'm in pain. When when I was taking it several times a day, I don't remember it making C worse.

You'd have to ask a pharmacist/doctor about taking zelnorm with it...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282046 - 09/13/06 01:34 PM
demo

i've been on heather's diet, but i'm still not feeling very well.

#282065 - 09/13/06 03:09 PM
Lisa Marie

I'm sorry!! To be honest, I'm not too great myself, but I'm trying to be optimistic. I know I'm being super careful and doing everything I possibly can to get better, and therefore, I WILL! Eventually... The fact that others have said it took them MONTHS to become stable has given me hope.

What else are you doing besides just the diet? What supplements, if any, are you taking? Are you doing any yoga, hypnosis, or other therapy?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Peppermint caps, fennel caps (Miso?), fennel tea, and OTC anti-gas meds new
      #282085 - 09/13/06 04:38 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

fennel oil caps i have never found, its either fennel seed caps, which should work or get a fennel tincture in a dropper bottle and take it under the tongue, yes its less convenient than caps, but more convenient than tea as you can transport in your bag wherever you go.

#282167 - 09/14/06 06:32 AM
demo

i'm taking only fibersmart and a multi-v right now. i'll have to go back to trying lots of enzymes, etc. i did walk last night but ended up having a really bad night anyway. i had a little soy but maybe it was too much. i'm not doing any other therapy, but i might end up in therapy. i've been crying too much lately from my condition and it's making me truly depressed.

therapy and ADs new
      #282202 - 09/14/06 08:50 AM
Lisa Marie

That's EXACTLY how I felt two months ago. I felt sick, cried a lot, and was SO depressed. That's when I started on the ADs. Perhaps that would help you? It took awhile, but lately I have been feeling so much better emotionally. My coworkers have even commented that I seem "happier" lately. Having that mostly under control gives me one less thing to deal with and worry about!

A therapist might also be a good idea. I have heard that both ADs AND seeing a therapist are more effective together than separate. For now, just stick to the diet, and don't be afraid to try other ways of helping yourself to feel better. That's great that you took a walk last night! Although I'm sorry you ended up not feeling well. Keep trying; go a little farther each night. Exercise is a natural mood-lifter.

Feel better, and keep us posted!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: therapy and ADs new
      #282234 - 09/14/06 10:40 AM
demo

thanks so much for your support. i just got back from the doc, who prescribed miralax. he also did a very cool thing and told me about a female doctor he knows of who is an "expert" in ibs-c. she amazingly had an opening for two weeks from now (i'm used to waiting a month at least to see my present doctor).
i will keep the exercise up, and i will end up asking the new doc about ADs, etc. i looked her up and she promotes a lot of supplemental therapies also, so i'm very excited and i have a little more hope for the future.

Re: therapy and ADs new
      #282240 - 09/14/06 11:03 AM
Lisa Marie

No problem! We're all in this together, right?? I was just telling my mom what a great support system this website has been for me the last few months. I'd be an emotional wreck without it!

The new doctor sounds great! I hope it goes well. In the mean time (if there's one thing I've learned from this website), keep trying new things! Something's bound to help.

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Effexor new
      #282259 - 09/14/06 11:38 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Is the effexor still causing you worse C?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Effexor new
      #282286 - 09/14/06 01:53 PM
Lisa Marie

I think it might be if I weren't taking the natural calm every night. But as long as I can take that, I'm okay. I'm still experimenting with dosage though (of NC). I'm not quite at a high enough dose yet!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 919 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10331

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review