All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Confused?!
      #28117 - 11/20/03 06:13 PM
stephh

Reged: 11/16/03

Hi everyone,

New here and today was my first "shopping" day to try and find appropriate foods....I'm so confused and overwhelmed!!!! I have seen the galaxy food veggie slices somewhere on this board but when I looked at the ingredients, it said casein. Isn't that something we're not supposed to have? Also, when something has in bold black letters on the ingredient list: Contains WHEAT or Containes MILK Products etc. is that something to automatically stay away from? I even noticed that the Fortune Cookies I picked up had whey (I think?-I looked at so many things today but I know it was something questionable so I put it back) Please help me to understand a little more about those "trace" ingredients. I have an Amy's pizza in the freezer with no cheese but there is that bold CONTAINS WHEAT at the end and I'm afraid to eat it?! Help Please!

I am into the easier "no cook" stuff right now until I get to read my cookbook a little better (just got it yesterday) so I need those "pre-packaged" staples to tide me over. I did eat an Amy's organic "Shepherd's Pie" yesterday and so far, so good! (My main problem is the bloating and gas though-alternating C and D but not a HUGE problem with either of those YET-thank goodness!) I just had a staple hemorrhoidectomy last month-after which I had an attack with D and that was a miserable week!-- I go back to the doc tomorrow, I'm going to ask him about the colonostomy because I haven't had one done yet. Any advice?

I've read through about 3 months worth of posts from you guys so far and you seem to REALLY have wonderful advice! I've learned so much already!

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give and I'm looking forward to "meeting" everyone!

Stephh

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Confused?! new
      #28118 - 11/20/03 06:28 PM
stephh

OOps, I mean colonoscopy!? Right?

#28129 - 11/20/03 07:40 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I understand just how you feel! I remember when a doctor about five years ago told me I was both lactose and milk protein intolerant and that I shouldn't have any milk products. I was overwhelmed because almost everything I had in my fridge contained a milk product. In fact, it seemed like almost everything in the North American diet contained a milk product! In your case, though, you are not only suddenly being faced with having to remove milk products from your diet, but many, many other things as well. So no wonder you are feeling confused and overwhelmed!

The best thing to do is to read Heather's diet information, including the IBS trigger foods, on this website. It will give you a good idea about what can trigger an IBS attack. It's possible you may be able to tolerate some of those trigger foods -- you will have to figure out which ones are bad for you.

In terms of the immediate questions you pose... Both casein and whey are milk products. As you may suspect, milk products are not recommended for IBS people. If you read Heather's website, you will learn there are two types of fiber -- soluble (easily digested) and insoluble (difficult to digest). You need to stay away from the insoluble form of fiber. In the case of wheat, the soluble form would be refined white flour (like white or French bread) and the insoluble form would be whole wheat flour (like whole wheat bread).

Hope this gets you started on the pathway to feeling better!

Belinda

#28130 - 11/20/03 07:54 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the boards! It is all a bit overwhelming - but you will puzzle it all out in time. Casein and whey are dairy products that are in a lot of foods. For example, the soy parmesan I use has casein in it. They do it for flavour - the ones without are terrible. You'll have to see for yourself whether it's tolerable. For me, it's a whole lot better than the real dairy. Until you are feeling better, best avoid it.
Stick to simple things for now, like lots of potatoes, white rice, and white bread. Then add in your simple chicken, fish, turkey meat cooked in herbs or baked (NOT fried). Then add in your cooked veggies and fruits. Then look for some good alternatives - like soy milk, etc.

Here's a link for more dietary guidelines to get you started, and if you have questions, hit the search button or post a note. You will figure it all out and feel better in time. web page

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Stephh new
      #28156 - 11/21/03 05:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi there!

Have you had your colonoscopy yet?

If not, do a search for the advice given on the prep - I really wish I'd had this when I had my colonoscopy.

How's it going with the diet? I know how confusing and overwhelming it can be at first - I was put on my first restrictive diet 10 years ago! Btw, if something says it contains Wheat don't worry - this is likely to be safe (most things containing wholewheat advertise this as a good thing! ).

Try cooking something, even if it's just something really simple like a chicken breast baked with herbs or a grilled fish fillet.

Good luck.

Linz

Re: Stephh new
      #28320 - 11/21/03 04:22 PM
stephh

Thanks for the help everyone! I have an appt. for Dec 1st to talk with the gastro doc. I'll keep you posted!

Stephh

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 445 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1094

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review