All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
BUMP and Lisa Marie, question... new
      #308911 - 06/11/07 08:16 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

When you say you can vouch for the sit-ups, do you mean they help with the "rounded" stomach or cause more harm than good?

Can anyone else shed light on which way to go here? I just got off browsing on the weight watchers sight and I'm thinking maybe I should just try to lose 5 pounds first and see if that helps before continuing the pilates, etc..??? I'm confused.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Sit-ups??? new
      #308936 - 06/12/07 11:23 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

I have found that doing hard work in the house, garden or exercise will tighten all the gut muscles in a knot. I do some simple yoga moves, twists and inversions to help relax them. That works for me. Don't stop exercising, just do some things to relax the gut muscles. I've been doing a new workout called T-Tapp and find I really like it but my gut is more rounded than it has been. New muscle, I hope. I do find taking a couple of days off of exercise calms that down so there must be some sort of inflamation going on outside of the attack type reactions.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#308939 - 06/12/07 12:53 PM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

Doing ab exercises will build muscle in the stomach area, but if you have extra fat there, only cardio will get rid of it. So you would have to do cardio to get rid of the fat for your muscles to show through. You can't do ab exercises to get rid of fat on your stomach, it doesn't work that way.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

Catnut and Elena new
      #308960 - 06/12/07 07:31 PM
line415

Thanks so much. It makes sense what you are saying b/c if I tighten my stomach muscles, you can feel that my (rounded) belly is quite hard, thus the pregnancy look...it is unbelievable. I always think, "Awww, if I was really pregnant, it would look so cute in this shirt!" But...I'M NOT so I guess I have to face it that you probably hit the nail on the head...I need to lose some weight, particularly the weight in my mid-section. My stomach muscles are hopefully hiding somewhere under there. I am the worst at dieting. I know it should be a change of lifestyle but I guess I'm at a plateau b/c I worked so hard to stabalize with the IBS that I'm not motivated to work toward something else. I think I'll skip the ab exercises for a week or so and see what happens. Thanks.

--------------------

#308977 - 06/13/07 05:27 AM
Gaia

Reged: 11/16/06
Loc: NY

I exercise often. I go to Curves at least 3x's a week and I have noticed that when I avoid the abdominal machines, I don't have any discomfort in my tummy. I only noticed this when I had a bad attack a couple of weeks ago, and didn't exercise for a few days, my tummy felt fine. When I returned, I didn't do the ab exercises and didn't have any discomfort. I don't understand it myself, but I think there might be something to this.

Thanks Roseanne...interesting. N/T new
      #308994 - 06/13/07 10:30 AM
line415

--------------------

Re: BUMP and Lisa Marie, question... new
      #309094 - 06/15/07 05:20 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I meant that I think abs workouts HELP me! I notice things start to "slow down" when I miss my exercise classes. Working my abs helps keep things moving. And my tummy is definitely way flatter than it was before I started! Yay!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 173 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21103

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review