All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Oatmeal?/Fiber? and Constipation
      #281014 - 09/06/06 09:22 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

I'm in so much pain and have ibs-c but also in process of other tests and may have chronic pancreatitis. I can't seem to find my trigger foods. I was wondering about oatmeal I have that a lot because its bland but could I be sesitive to that? Also I read the stickies but I try to get in enough fiber but regardless am constipated and is making me more bloated and burning with a swolen feeling stomach has anyone tried a lower fiber diet but who has constipation issues?I was reading about delayed empting and I have a lot of similar symptoms. Thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oatmeal?/Fiber? and Constipation new
      #281015 - 09/06/06 09:37 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Are you currently on the Eating for IBS Diet? If not, sounds like you need to do the Break the Cycle diet first. Eliminate all IF for a few days, then gradually add in IF - but blend or cook everything first!

Oatmeal gives me gas and bloating; try cream of rice cereal instead.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#281155 - 09/07/06 08:24 AM
kalosis

Thank you. I have tried so many things. Like things that should be safe effect me and then non don't sometimes. There seems no ryme or reason. I am wondering if someone could be allergic to oats but not other grains? I hate the constipation but I don't understand the burning and bloating of stomach lately that is worse along with a swolen feeling.

#281172 - 09/07/06 10:13 AM
Lisa Marie

What are you eating? Are you on the "Break the Cycle" diet, or have you moved onto the "Eating for IBS" diet? What prescription medications and/or supplements are you taking?

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#281175 - 09/07/06 10:23 AM
kalosis

Your so sweet to keep responding. If I can help you in any way please. Anyhow I was diagnosed with ibs-c put on zelnorm,colace,etc but then we think I have chronic pancreatitis( high liver enzymes but then they will go more to normal range).I no longer take those. I started benefiber. I am also going for gluten testing which was not for some reson testsed in my ct scan/colonscpy,etc.Even one of the tests even through the barium drink they couldn't see cause of the constipation.I have tried the diet and now I just try to be careful and eat what I can for enough calories. I see a nutritionist and my major concern is eating enough so I'm just making sure I finish everything regardless of pain. What type of diet do you follow?Or what has helped? Thank you again.

#281179 - 09/07/06 10:41 AM
Lisa Marie

Sounds like you have a lot going on! I'm fairly new to all of this too, just been on Heather's diet for about two months. But I feel SO much better. I would really recommend going back and trying it again. It's not a quick fix; it really does take time. I'm still not "stable", but I'm getting there. I tried the nutritionist route, but she just told me to eat more fiber. Yeah, right. Does the nutritionist you're working with really understand IBS?

So, I follow Heather's diet RELIGIOUSLY, and I don't eat any meat except fish. I exercise EVERY day, and I use acacia. I have also found that Natural Calm works wonders for constipation. It's a type of magnesium supplement, and is gentler than milk of magnesia because you can safely use it every night. I would highly recommend that if C is a big issue for you. Are you taking a calcium supplement or vitamin that contains magnesium? If so, you might need to do some math to figure out how much more magnesium to take. This is some info my doctor gave me:

"The recommended daily allowance of elemental magnesium for women is:
19-30yo: 310mg/d elemental Mg
If pregnant: 350mg/d elemental Mg
There is not an upper limit, but most patients do not need more than these recommended daily allowances which are generally obtained through the diet. Most calcium products come with magnesium. Contain magnesium oxide. Generally 130-160mg of magnesium oxide per tablet. This is roughly 75-95mg of elemental magnesium per tablet."

I'm currently stable on about 1.5 teaspoons of Natural Calm each night, and I take a calcium/magnesium supplement every day. But I started with about 1/2 teaspoon and increased a little each day until the C improved.

While you're waiting for all of your tests, I would really try the "Break the Cycle" diet and Natural Calm for a few days, until your BMs start becoming regular, then slowly add in IF. The safest way I've found to get IF is to make a smoothie every morning for breakfast with a banana and either a peach, pluot, or berries. Unfortunately, being C, that means we need MORE IF than those with D. But, start slow.

Good luck!

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 435 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1098

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review