All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
gas and stuff
      #280799 - 09/04/06 11:57 AM

Unregistered

Does anyone ever feel a gas bubble, or something, then feel it up in their throat like a swirling or like your going to burp, does anyone relate or know what this is?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: gas and stuff new
      #280863 - 09/05/06 08:10 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Do you get an acidy taste in your mouth, a burning in your throat, or feel like there's something stuck in your throat? Either way, it could be acid reflux or indigestion.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#280975 - 09/05/06 08:32 PM

Unregistered

Well i went to the doctor monthes ago because i was having horrible breath and like a soar throat feeling that wasn't very noticeable, i was told it was acid reflux, i took omperazole for it for a very short time and have never had it since, must be indigestion because i don't get any hearburn feeling or anything, just a feeling in my throat after my stomach does a gas thing.

#280983 - 09/06/06 03:31 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I had the same thing and just rare heartburn so I was sure it was a hiatal hernia or something but after my endoscopy, it turned out to be reflux. I took Nexium for about 8 weeks and it healed up and I'm fine. No more gas bubbles. No more feeling of having something stuck in my throat. No more sore throat (was usually just in the a.m.). Very well could be reflux even without the heartburn....sometimes it's there and we just don't feel it!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#281007 - 09/06/06 08:12 AM
Lisa Marie

When I was recently diagnosed with acid reflux, I didn't have the heartburn feeling, just the feeling of a lump in my throat. The prilosec is definitely helping.

Are you taking peppermint supplements or drinking peppermint tea? These will aggravate acid reflux. The peppermint capsules did it for me.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#281028 - 09/06/06 10:38 AM

Unregistered

no, i'm waiting for them in the mail, i don't care about my reflux getting bad from peppermint, i want relief from ibs, when i'm at school all day i can just pop a peppermint or something.

This is not a good idea new
      #281035 - 09/06/06 11:00 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Reflux can be more than just indigestion. It's not the horror story the Nexium ads make it out to be, but it can damage the esophagous and cause problems down the road. You should really talk to your doctor about this and if you're sure you have reflux, I'd at least take it very easy on the peppermint. You can probably use the caps, but Heather's peppermint tea is very powerful.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: This is not a good idea new
      #281039 - 09/06/06 12:15 PM
Lisa Marie

I agree with Sand - sort of. I would honestly stay away from the peppermint caps. I was only taking them twice a day (and peppermint tea was never a problem for me), and that's what caused my reflux to begin with. Please discuss this with your doctor or pharmacist.

I understand your frustration, but there's no "magic pill" that is going to make your IBS instantly disappear. It's a long period (months, maybe a year) of following the diet and trying to determine what foods aggravate your condition. It's different for everyone. You have to be patient. The people on these boards have a lot of knowledge; take advantage of it.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#281068 - 09/06/06 03:08 PM

Unregistered

I'm in high school all day, what do you reccomend when i have ibs problems? should i run out of my class and walk a few miles to home and boil some tea? i don't think so...

#281078 - 09/06/06 04:10 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

What you can and cannot tolerate in the way of peppermint varies from person to person. I have mild reflux. I can tolerate store-bought peppermint tea, but Heather's is too strong for me. I can tolerate peppermint candies. I never had trouble with the peppermint caps, although I've seen other people post that, like Lisa Marie, they did.

All I'm saying - and I think all Lisa Marie is saying - is that reflux is something to be cautious about, not something to brush off, assuming it's "just indigestion". That's why I think you need to talk to your doctor about it and see if he knows how bad it is.

If you feel you can tolerate peppermint tea, caps, and candy, fine. If it makes your reflux worse, consider talking to your doctor about a presciption antispasmodic instead.

(Is this National Sarcasm Week? Did I miss the memo?)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1787 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10336

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review