All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Trip to the USA
      #280775 - 09/04/06 05:43 AM
WelshLady

Reged: 08/25/04

We're visiting New York City and New England from the U.K. this fall and I was just wondering whether you had any tips for the trip. I'm taking acacia and will pack this in my suitcase, especially given the tighter restrictions in place recently. I'm very nervous about the long flight as I feel quite claustraphobic on board the plane - does anyone else suffer from this and do you have any tips? Obviously whenever I get nervous I get stomach pains and I want to try and control this..I'm a lot better since being on the acacia but I want to do everything I can to keep stable whilst on the trip - I s'ppose I'm just a control freak in need of some reassurance!
Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Trip to the USA new
      #280780 - 09/04/06 07:14 AM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Interesting that you post this. I live in California (US) and am taking a trip to upstate NY at the end of this week. THe long flight (total trip is 8+ hours with the layover and such) is also making me nervous about the state of my stomach during that trip. Nothing's worse that feeling like you're stuck, trapped, in a plane (or other place) feeling like crap.

That said, to avoid trouble I was planning on being REALLY REALLY good this week leading up to the trip. Avoiding triggers like the plague (coffee, getting great sleep, low stress, etc.). And arming myself with tons of tins of Altoids or mints for the trip, as they're my saving grace when out in public and I'm in pain or feel nauseous. Bring whatever works for you when you're feeling badly - heating pad, meds, whatever.

All that said, that's all I can offer you. Arm yourself with the things that you know work if you're uncomfortable (like my Altoids). Knowing you have what you need, even while away, will hopefully help.

~ E.

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

#280784 - 09/04/06 08:00 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

Well, first, an early welcome to New York! One good thing about your trip is that it's very easy to eat safely for IBS in NYC - I think there's an old restaurant thread that you could search for. And with a Starbucks on almost every corner, a free bathroom's never too far away. It's a great city, and I hope you have a fantastic time.

As for IBS, if there's any way to address the stress you have about travel, I'd do that. Make the flight as easy as possible - bring music, magazines, books, or anything that helps distract you from the flight and calm you down. Eat very safely for the few days leading up, and bring everything you could need - fiber, safe snacks, medicine (immodium, etc.). Knowing that you're prepared might help with the stress. And keep in mind that there's always a lavatory on the plane - you're never really trapped, at least in terms of IBS. I sometimes have trouble with claustrophobia, and I find that visualizations - imagining myself in a large, cool, open space - really helps.

I'm a control freak, too, and I find that in situations like this, planning as much as possible really helps - I know I've done everything I can, and that I'm prepared for almost anything that happens. Good luck, and enjoy the trip!

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#280795 - 09/04/06 10:29 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I do a fair amount of international travel. Air travel use to stress me out but it doesn't so much anymore. However, over the years I have developed some rules to keep my IBS at bay.

I never eat anything they serve on the aircraft. There is no way to know what the ingredients are. I pack my own meals.

While I travel I follow a strict diet of oatmeal for breakfast and grilled chicken breast, rice/boiled potatoes and steamed carrots for lunch and supper. I have found that most restaurants will prepare the grilled chicken even if it is not on the menu.

From time to time I may vary this diet by adding some low fat fish instead of the chicken and other safe veggies if the restaraunt can prepare them.

Although rather boring these meals keep my IBS in check during the stress of travel.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#280797 - 09/04/06 11:46 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

My advice would be to sleep on the plane!! Ask your doctor for a prescription sleep aid such as Ambien. I did this on a trip to France and I felt SO much better when I arrived (my husband not so much - he wouldn't take the pill!). Not only will it help you sleep, but it will help calm you down, too. Then you don't have to worry about being stressed during the flight since you won't even be awake!

Have a safe trip!
Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Good idea new
      #280807 - 09/04/06 02:03 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I do that too. However, I experimented with the dose of my sleeping aid to make sure I wouldn't feel too groggy at the end of the trip. I wanted to be alert when talking to the customs/immigration people

My sleeping aid of choice is 3.75 mg of zoplicone

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3979 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 776

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review