All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How much salad is too much
      #280705 - 09/02/06 09:57 AM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

I have read plenty of times that we are not supposed to eat raw veggies that they are to be steamed or boiled. I love salads and I know that we are supposed to eat our salads after a meal, but how much of a portion can we have or is it all trial and error? I love to put grapes and pineapples with turkey slices and bacos with light ranch dressing. Salads just dont taste good boiled or steamed.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

any salad is too much for me new
      #280707 - 09/02/06 10:52 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I can't digest lettuce at all. It causes me great pain. There aren't many people on this site who can eat salad period. I am assuming when you say we are supposed to eat them after a meal that you are trying to eat it after a strong SF base, so you have a buffer and your tum isn't empty? Are bacos, bacon? cause that would be a no no, also, does your ranch dressing have dairy in it?
I am with you on the boiling or steaming, that would not be appetizing to me either!
It is all trial and error, some people can tolerate salad and some can't. I wouldn't try it unless I was stable and didn't have any important plans for a day or so

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: any salad is too much for me new
      #280734 - 09/02/06 11:28 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I agree with Betharoo. For me it's just better to say away from salads.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Salad is just a mess new
      #280753 - 09/03/06 12:52 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm with Betharoo & company. SOME of us IBS'ers can digest/process a "salad" without it being a mess. I am not one of the lucky few. My body basically "spits" it out virtually unchanged, even in colour--just really well chewed-up. I stick to really yummy salads of grilled or cooked veggies, etc., and do just fine that way. I've stopped wasting my $$$ and spending time being frustrated about the whole salad thing and farting lettuce leaves all night. I stick to my beloved cooked dark leafy greens like spinach & swiss chard & kale and enjoy them thoroughly because they won't ruin my evening. Besides, they pack more "punch" in terms of vitamins/minerals.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: How much salad is too much new
      #280767 - 09/03/06 10:27 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

It's basically trial and error as some can tollerate it and others can't. I think a good test might be to start off with about a half cup and see how you handle it. Don't use dressing with dairy in it (I prefer a little olive oil, squeezed lemon juice, salt and pepper) and no bacon.

the other side of things... new
      #280782 - 09/04/06 07:54 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

There are some of us who can handle salad. As long as it's not on a completely empty stomach, and I'm careful about which vegetables I use, I can eat a salad fine. Long after I'd reincorporated cooked veggies and raw SF veggies into my diet, I was still scared of salad. It is one of the harder things to reincorporate, but once you're stable you might be able to handle it. Spinach is an easier base, I think, than regular lettuce. And I try to include SF veggies like carrots and mushrooms. I also try to eat it with some bread, and never the first thing on an empty stomach. But it doesn't bother me at all now.

Once you're stable, and can handle cooked vegetables, give it a try. Do it when you're home or somewhere safe, and feeling well otherwise. But aside from hard-and-fast triggers, don't be afraid of any food.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re: the other side of things... new
      #292639 - 12/05/06 09:30 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I was under the impression that
1) If you had a lot of solubale fiber first
2) Took Beano
3) Had a small salad

You would have no problems, is it better for IBS C to just avoid salad altogether?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

I'm IBS-C new
      #292650 - 12/06/06 06:13 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

And never touch salad of any kind. I don't think it matters if you are D or a C....some people can tolerate it and some can't. I can't without painful results.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: I'm IBS-C new
      #292671 - 12/06/06 07:55 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Even if you were to say have a huge pile of soluable fiber right before?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: I'm IBS-C new
      #292680 - 12/06/06 08:22 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

I'm IBS-C, pain predominant, and before I started following the EFI diet, I had a large salad every day. I always had a lot of pain afterwards, but because it was 'healthy' and my nutritionist said to eat lots of veggies, I kept doing it.

Although I am still not stable, I am so much better since stopping all raw veggies. I stick to soups and pureed cooked veggies now with a good SF base and have much less pain and hardly any bloating (a big problem before). But I think that it's a very individual thing and as others have said, it's trial and error.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3763 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2684

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review