All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
About to start lotronex...
      #280351 - 08/30/06 07:33 AM
jessicastein

Reged: 04/27/06
Loc: Rochester, NY

I am an excellent candidate for lotronex and will hopefully be starting it in the next week, or as soon as my pharmacy can find some...my doctor wants me to go on it for a month or less, then cut to a half dose, then wean off it altogether, and then only use as needed. I am wondering how to tell when I'm ready to go off it; I had the impression most people stay on it or else symptoms return. Also, how do you go about adding in foods to tell if they are safe or not? I'd appreciate any suggestions from those who are on it.

Further info on my IBS:
My IBS-D started a year ago out of the blue (I'm 28). I found Heather's site and books at Christmas and have faithfully followed the diet (no cheating)(I've lost 83 pounds in 10 months), am taking acacia, exercising and working out, getting enough sleep, no stress that I know of...however, I have never been able to eat more than 1 gram of fat per meal (so most of Heather's recipes are out for me), and absolutely no ISF. I had worked up to 4 raisins in a muffin or three bites of potato skin--that's it. I went 4 months with no attacks on this limited diet, but this past month have had a serious setback and have literally been eating nothing but rice, applesauce, pretzels & oatmeal for a month, and have left the house maybe twice. My doctor decided it was time to try lotronex...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: About to start lotronex... new
      #281429 - 09/09/06 12:27 PM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

I used to take Lotronex. I loved it. My diet is very restricted (mostly white bread) absolutely no ISF. However, when I was on the Lotronex I was able to expand my diet greatly, for me. I was able to eat soy yogurt, oats and honey bars, pita chips etc. The only reason I stopped taking it was because I started to notice blood after bowel movements. If this did not happen I would still be on it I believe. You really need to pay close attention to your body when on it though. Any bleeding, contact your doctor immediately. I'm sure they have explained the risks. I hope it does well for you!

~Courtney

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

"Lotronex And The FDA: A Fatal Erosion of Integrity" new
      #286551 - 10/15/06 01:41 PM
tistenleigh

Reged: 10/16/05
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta .Canada

http://www.naturalcures.com/NC/ftc_horror_stories/lotronex_and_fda.aspx

Try www.quackwatch.org instead (m) new
      #286553 - 10/15/06 02:07 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

There is no date on the article you linked to but I don't see any references later than 2001. Lotronex was returned to the market largely because of pressure from patients whose quality of life had been totally destroyed by IBS-D and who were able to function somewhat normally as a result of using Lotronex.

I agree that Lotronex is a big dangerous drug and should absolutely be a treatement of last resort after ALL other approaches have been honestly tried and have failed. Anyone considering taking Lotronex should inform herself of the possible side-effects and their early symptoms and should be prepared to seek immediate medical attention if problems arise. However, if I had to choose between sitting at home for the rest of my life because of my IBS-D and taking Lotronex under the supervision of a qualified gastroenterologist, I'd pick the latter every time.

I notice that the Website you link to features Kevin Trudeau on its home page. You might find this interesting.

Also, frankly, as a breast cancer survivor the following blurb on the home page of the Website makes me see red:

Quote:

Find out how Dr. Lorainne Day M.D. refused to undergo traditional cancer treatemets and healed herself using simple, inexpensive natural remedies.

I hate to think how many people who could have been saved by chemotherapy and radiation have died as a result of this type of nonsense.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Sand new
      #286591 - 10/15/06 08:06 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Thanks for the link on the Trudeau story. I knew that guy was a creep! I see so many elderly and chronically ill patrons checking out his book and I have family members asking about it - I worry about the information they'll find in there and that they'll possibly skip out on important treatments because "it's not natural." I'm going to have to share this info about his shady reputation with them.

Re: Try www.quackwatch.org instead (m) new
      #286593 - 10/15/06 08:09 PM
tistenleigh

Reged: 10/16/05
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta .Canada

hahaha ya that is pretty interesting.. i will definitely take that into account.
but since i am the type of person who likes to form my own opinion, i am reading his book and i would like to try some of his "natural cures" and other natural alternatives that other people have come up with.
because i do believe depression, anxiety and other conditions can be managed by natural means.
For i do my best to avoid having to take medications.

Maria new
      #286628 - 10/16/06 08:22 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Yes, I think that's the great danger - that people will delay or avoid helpful medical treatment because of his influence. (Whenever someone tells my old college roommate that a treatment is better because it's natural, she always says, "Yeah, so's arsenic". )

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: About to start lotronex... new
      #286632 - 10/16/06 08:34 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Have you had all the tests needed to rule out everything else and be diagnosed as IBS? IBS just coming out of the blue make me think that there could have been something to cause your symptoms.

If it is IBS, then there are other less harmful medications you could try such as anti-spasmodics, Imodium and even anti-depressants have helped many people with their symptoms. Not everyone can manage their IBS simply with good diet and lifestyle.

As others have said, Lotronex is a last-resort medication, after trying everything else.

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2484 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1744

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review