All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
after the BTC die
      #279918 - 08/25/06 10:20 AM
sapphiremel

Reged: 05/15/06
Loc: New York

Iam doing the BTC diet because I had some bad days with D, I will be on it until Sat and then Sun I will try something different at this point after the 3 days on the BTC diet what would you suggest is good to eat on Sun? Any suggestions I really want to understand this diet better so I am starting it over and try to do it right this time any suggestions thanks

--------------------
IBS D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: after the BTC die new
      #280017 - 08/26/06 12:33 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'd still stick to very low fat first thing in the morning. Try applesauce and maybe some dry cereal (I ate Rice Chex and Corn Pops). Heather's Brown Sugar Banana Bread and Cinnamon Zucchini Bread would probably be fine later in the morning. I always did fine with Kree's Crockpot Chicken Stew - it's in the Recipe Index. Since you're D, you can take your time re-introducing IF.

There are some nice baked chicken recipes in the Recipe Index: a balsamic baked chicken and a honey-baked chicken. MCV's Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are wonderful and I think they'll be okay.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

thanks sand new
      #280045 - 08/27/06 08:10 AM
sapphiremel

i read your post after I ate and i wish i had waited although I don't know what I did wrong but had a bad day again. Ok this is what I had this morning i wasn't able to eat anything had my tea with sfs, then the afternoon i had a turkey sandwich plain on bread, w plain baked pot. ran some errands and came back my daughter had made for dinner some rice and beans and chicken on the bbq had that and was in the bathroom actually this time a little different feeling I had the feeling of D and couldn't go right away, not sure if the hypo tapes are kicking in but i didn't go right away which was worse the feeling was there for a long time and finally went to the bathroom not too long after that the feeling came back went again and went to sleep. The rice had saute pepper and onions in small amount of olive oil, seasoning sazoon (it's a spanish seasoning) and beans I didn't really eat the beans and the peppers and onions were very little, I am not crazy about chicken and had broke up a thigh and had maybe 1 or two sm pieces, (very little amount!!) I realized that the chicken now is considered dark meat could that little bit of chicken could cause me to feel that way? The rice and beans I have had this recipe many times without problems so I don't know what to stay away from I am going away in 10 days and If i can't figure out what to eat at home, what am I going to do when I am away? I just don't know how to eat thanks for always responding to my post, I do take alot of what you say, as far as the chicken stew (made with chicken breast) the last time I made that I was in the bathroom (but i had a small piece of graham cracker later that night) sometimes I think (not sure) yet if it's the chicken yet chicken cutlets I do ok and the terriyaki chicken recipe on this board i had twice with no problems. I am just not getting it!!!! I am not feeling healthy anymore, lost some weight and I really am not in a position to lose weight, I am very thin already. I was trying hard not to stress myself with the trip but know since i don't know why I am having D so often I am starting to feel the stress because what do I eat when I am away. I wanted to start to add more stuff. Thanks again, I know I have the immodium and usually that helps me, I try to not take it when I am home trying to figure out the triggers, Hope I figure this all out one day!!!

--------------------
IBS D

You're welcome and new
      #280052 - 08/27/06 10:29 AM
Sand

this will have to be quick because it's almost lunch time.

I consider beans and peppers to be Advanced Eating for IBS. I could always eat onions, but some people can't. Also, if your rice seasoning is store-bought, you need to double-check the ingredients. I spent months eating packaged rice mixes and getting sick. I would read the ingredients, see nothing bad, eat it, and feel horrible. I finally ran down every single ingredient listed, including the ones with incomprehensible names, and discovered that MSG goes by lots and lots of different listings. So check the ingredient lists on everything you ate that was store-bought and if there's anything you don't recognize, check it out.

Truly, the safest course for the first little bit after the BTC is to eat stuff you make yourself with ingredients you recognize. Jack LaLanne says, "If man made it, don't eat it" and that's good advice.

Also, eat something in the morning, even if it's just some room temp applesauce or some dry safe cereal. If your tummy gets too hungry, then when you do put something in it, it starts up violently and runs rough. You want to coax it into running smoothly by feeding it a little bit at a time until it's going good.

I don't know if you've ever built a fire, but that's a good analogy. To get a fire going, you have to start if off with small, easily flammable stuff (paper and twigs), then add larger pieces of wood as it gets going, then finally you get to put on logs once the flame is strong enough. It's the same with your digestive system. You're trying to get the furnace going and to do so, you need to start off with small stuff that burns easily - little meals of SF.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: You're welcome and new
      #280070 - 08/27/06 01:20 PM
sapphiremel

O.K. I did check one of the ingredients did have MSG I will be careful of that, this week I will be home to cook for myself but next week I am taking a trip to Florida this should be interesting because I never flew before and so we will see what happens with my ibs (kinda scared) but I am going to try to do this, this will be a big accomplishment if I pull it off. My problem will be what to eat when I have to eat out for 4 nights, I don't know what to eat home How will I ever figure out what to eat when I am not home.
Any suggestions?

--------------------
IBS D

Look what I found... new
      #280074 - 08/27/06 02:06 PM
Sand

I knew I'd done something like this at some point and I finally remembered enough of what was in it to find the old post:

A list of meals

The simplest thing to do about lunch is make extras of dinner and reheat the next day. And forget the Zesty Chicken and Rice Supper right now - it's calls for a lot of green pepper and I think it's a little early for you to be eating that. Also, you might do better with plain rice right now than with the Persian Rice Pilaf or the Basmati Rice with Onion and Ginger.

Okay, there are some ideas for what to eat at home. Now, when you're in Florida, are you staying in a hotel or at someone's house?

--------------------

Re: Look what I found... new
      #280082 - 08/27/06 03:33 PM
sapphiremel

I will be staying in a hotel which means I have to eat out all the time.

--------------------
IBS D

Eating away from home new
      #280089 - 08/27/06 04:07 PM
Sand

Assuming you're going to have a rental car, stop at a grocery store and buy yourself some individual applesauces (Mott's Natural Applesauce is sold in little 6-packs); some plastic spoons; some pretzels; and some dry cereal - I do well with Rice Chex and Corn Pops. If you have a fridge in your room, you can add some rice or soy milk and some little paper bowls. The applesauce and the cereal can be breakfast. The pretzels are to snack on throughout the day. I also buy bottles of water.

For lunch, Pizza Hut is, oddly enough, a good choice. Get a Personal Pan Pizza with no cheese and only vegetable toppings. If you want to be super-safe, get just mushrooms. I can also eat their yummy soft breadsticks dipped in marinara sauce - supposedly they have no cheese and no butter, but I wouldn't swear to that.

For dinner you should be able to find some kind of grilled/baked chicken or grilled/baked fish in a lot of places. Most places will also serve you a plain baked potato, although I know they can be hard to find in some chains, like Chili's. I would think, though, that non-chain seafood restaurants would serve them. Also, a lot of places have bread baskets, so assuming the bread doesn't look whole-grain, that's a good choice, too.

Pasta places can be good, but the sauces can be tricky. Tomato sauces may have meat, some have cheese or cream built in, so be sure to ask.

I've gotten quite good at questioning waiters. If you simply explain you can't have dairy, so you need to know if a dish has butter, milk, cream, or cheese in it, they can usually find out for you. It's not uncommon for people to avoid dairy. And, if push comes to shove, you can eat a shrimp cocktail, baked potato, and bread basket every night.

If you find herbal teas help, you can carry your own teabags with you. Most places will happily sell you a cup of hot water. Even McDonald's usually sell tea and you get the bag and the water separately so you can toss their teabag and use your own.

Here are a couple of restaurant posts I know about, but if you do a Search on the Diet Board with no time limit for restaurant you'll get a lot of hits. Also, if there's a particular chain you like to eat at, you can Search for that chain's name, like Chilis or Olive Garden.

Summary on restaurants

Pizza!

HTH.

--------------------

Re: Eating away from home new
      #280097 - 08/27/06 04:39 PM
sapphiremel

I will jot down all that you said and take that with me, question though i just had some plain pasta and bread and my stomach feel a little funny didn't go to the bathroom yet. I had a bad day yesterday so can this still carry on the next day even if i eat something safe. Also I had alot of bread store baked Italian bread and I am reading the ingreidients on bread which I didn't realize i should be doing and there are ingredients in there I don't think i should be having HFSC is one and one bread had eggs. Also wheat flour in mostly all my breads and even in my pasta.
If I go to the bakery how will I know the ingreidents and when I go to the restaurants and eat their bread besides the grain how will i know the bread is safe. Also the pretzel have ingreidients too. Since My stomach feels a little funny tonight curious if it's the pasta, bread, pretzels or just not doing good last night. Thanks for the tips about going away, i hope my stomach gets stronger before I go. Thanks again Sand you have been so helpful to me sorry if I am a pest just trying to get this but it's not working as easily as I would like it to.

--------------------
IBS D

wheat flour is fine, it is whole grain or whole wheat flour you need to look out for new
      #280099 - 08/27/06 05:00 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1942 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1570

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review