All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Going from D To C with new diet?
      #279847 - 08/24/06 03:17 PM
Klinky

Reged: 07/06/06

Hi all first real post here. I've been doing OK on the diet. I've had some attacks & the most recent one being caused by stress & AcipHex my doctor prescribed to me for acid-reflux. Which hopefully I am starting to work my way out of... Has been a hard couple last days...

But I am going to get myself back on track and I am wondering what I should do if I notice that instead of having diahrrea I am having what seems to be constipation. I've usually been a 'D' type of guy, but while on the diet & eating about 1/2 teaspoon of fiber(2x daily) it seems motility down there slows down. So I wouldn't really feel the urge to go or I'd feel the urge to go but nothing would come out. Also felt a little bloated as well. What do you guys think I should do to help out the motility? Maybe up my fiber a bit?

Thanks,
Gabe

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Going from D To C with new diet? new
      #279851 - 08/24/06 03:41 PM
Kgrl17

Reged: 08/09/06

I've talked to a couple people whose symptoms just changed from meds or food for no reason. I used to have IBS C pretty bad and now I go to the bathroom every day but sometimes have D and I have a ton of bloating and cramping

#279881 - 08/24/06 08:46 PM
iwish1

Reged: 08/08/06

Sometimes the SFS can stop you up... it did that to me. Just a thought.

#279890 - 08/25/06 03:45 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

It has happened to me. the constipation is getting worse.

I don't know what to do. Stop the SFS? Eat more insoluble and cut the white rice products? My body is not liking this.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#279895 - 08/25/06 06:26 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

First, consider that what feels like C might just be emptiness. I know that if I have a bad D attack, once it's calmed down it might take as much as 72 hours before my body has accumulated enough "stuff" to need to get rid of it. (Sorry, overly graphic image.)

If that doesn't seem like what's going on, I suggest more SFS *and* make sure you're getting IF in your diet. The SFS will provide bulk and help with the feeling of incomplete evacuation. Make sure you increase the dose slowly. The IF will make sure you feel the urge to go. Just be sure you cushion the IF with SF first and, like the SFS, increase your IF slowly especially since you're a D. Oh, and make sure you're getting enough fluid (water, herbal tea). SF needs to be wet to do its best work.

HTH. Welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#279897 - 08/25/06 07:25 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Sand is exactly right. It's the combo of both SF and IF that helps with IBS-C. I experimented with cutting back my acacia while eating more fruits and veggies a month or so ago - holy cramptastic! I increased my acacia while keeping the fruits and veggies - no more C.

Remember that with IBS, too much IF without SF will get you more constipated (and crampy/bloated)! Also, fiber isn't everything: you need fluids and exercise, and stress control/hypno will also help.

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6074 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 591

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review