All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New to this
      #279613 - 08/23/06 09:20 AM
Dionne

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Alberta

I should clarify - new to this web site not new to IBS. I think I've probably had IBS-C since I was a kid. Diagnosed in my teens. I think it's going to take me a while to really wrap my brain around this diet. I'm so used to whole wheat everything. I haven't bought white bread ever! I'm still waiting for the kit with the books to arrive but for now I'm thinking I need to do the "get control" diet for a few days. My symptoms have been pretty mild for the last couple of years and I blew it by trying a 5 day cleanse called Reset by USANA. I have thrown myself into a full blown attack like I haven't experienced for a long time! OK - after all that, here's my question..... What can I put on rice, potatoes or toast, if I can not eat butter, marg, or sour cream? What about pasta if I can't have cheese or meatsauce? Should I be drinking vegetable juice? I'm sure you can guess the rest. I have a lot of changes to make and I love dairy products. Is it possible that some people can tolerate them in small amounts? Help !!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to this new
      #279623 - 08/23/06 10:07 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hi!

I'm fairly new to this diet myself and dairy has been the trickiest thing for me to give up too. (Apart from that I was pretty much following the diet already.)

When you do the first few days with just soluble fiber foods I guess the point is to really just stick to just soluble fiber foods. I was stable when I started with the diet so I didn't have to do that, though.

As soon as you feel you're stabilized you can start to eat more fun food. I'm sure you'll find the Eating for IBS book really helpful there. You'll find there is absolutely nothing boring or bland about this diet. There are many things you can use to replace the things you normally cook with. Just remember that you might have to try different brands as sometimes there is a big difference and one brand can taste really bad and another one really delicious. For meat there are many vegetarian alternatives and for dairy there are rice, oat, and soy substitutes. Since I live in Sweden the brands I know are probably different from the ones you can find, but I'm sure there are many people on this forum who will be able to suggest brands for you.

Good luck!!!

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#279628 - 08/23/06 10:27 AM
Smiling Strange

Reged: 07/13/06
Loc: Florida, USA

Hello there! I am also new to the bored, but I've been on the diet for about 5 years now.

When you're trying to get back on track, it's best to stick to eating the soluble fiber foods as plainly as you can. When you are less touchy, you can add things like "light" dairy-free margarine and jellies/jams to toast, soy or rice sour cream on baked potatoes, soy/rice cheeses on pasta, etc. I can usually handle marinara sauce, also, but it can be tricky due to the acidity of the tomatoes so if you try that make sure you're stable. I usually make my own marinara so I can control the amount of spice and garlic in it.

There's a whole load of yummy alternatives for the things you need to leave out of the diet. In fact, I just yesterday discovered some low fat vegan meatballs at Whole Foods that are delicious! I definitely recommend taking a trip to your nearest health food/natural food store!

#279633 - 08/23/06 10:57 AM
JAK

THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT, AS I AM JUST BEGINING THIS NEW PROCESS AND STILL UNSURE OF IT ALL. I AM WILLING TO TRY ANYTHING AT THIS POINT, YOU MENTIONED MARINARA SAUCE, I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES WITH TOMATOES OR GARLIC, THE ACIDIC LEVEL DOES NOT AFFECT ME. NOW ORANGES I CANNOT EAT EVER. I GUESS EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, AND WE MUST ALL TRY TO SEE WHAT WILL HAPPEN!!

#279659 - 08/23/06 01:45 PM
Dionne

Loc: Alberta

Thanks to all who responded! Finding new products can be frustrating here. I always hear of great new products and guess what - Not available in Canada! If anybody knows some great brand names that are available here - let me know. Thanks again, Dionne.

#279667 - 08/23/06 02:40 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

It's hard to find all the products in Canada that people list on here. I find I have to go to a few health food stores to get everything I'm looking for.

As for the dairy, I cut it out completely and it helped so much. I now eat soy alternatives. Check out Tofutti products, they have great cream cheese and sour cream. Also Soy Delicious and Purely Decadent ice creams are tasty. For milk I like Silk soy milks that are available at Loblaws. Others have said Almond Breeze, or some rice milks are good.

For stuff to put on pasta: I make a homemade 'sauce' which is simply a can of tomatoes purreed cooked with some vegetables I can tolerate, and some spices. I add shrimp, or ground chicken/turkey sometimes too. Rice I cook with chicken broth and put some soy sauce on.

Hope this helps give you some suggestions for what to look for.

--------------------
Kat

#279771 - 08/24/06 08:48 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Check out this post for some baked potato ideas. I also love Skinny Mashed Potatoes from the Recipe Board.

Check out this post for some pasta ideas. When my tummy is very touchy, I'll eat pasta plain or with some garlic salt (not powder) on it. Garlic never bothers me in any way, shape, or form, thank goodness.

Rice I like plain, especially the "mati" types: Basmati, Kasmati, Texmati, Jasmati. If you check the Recipe Board and the Recipe Index, though, you'll see lots of recipes. I really like the Persian Rice Pilaf.

On toast, you can use dairy-free margarines. I use Smart Balance Light (only Light - regular is not dairy free). First thing in the morning, though, I do better with as little fat as possible.

Vegetable juice I'm not sure about. I think it would be okay since it should be relatively low fructose, but I wouldn't drink it on an empty stomach.

As someone else has said, there are dairy alternatives. I use rice milk and soy sour cream and ice cream. Both soy sour cream and soy ice cream are high in fat, so go easy on them.

I'm not crazy enough about any of the alternative cheeses to use them regularly, but if you can find Lisanatti brand, it seems to be pretty good. They make soy and, I believe, also almond cheeses. There's some info on it in this old thread. You can also do a Board Searches on "soy cheese", "rice cheese", and "almond cheese" (don't use the quotes but try searching for the Exact Phrase) and see what other people have said. Note that most dairy alternative cheeses have casein in them, a dairy protein that is problematic for IBSers, so you should probably save these for after you're stable.

HTH. Welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#279821 - 08/24/06 11:41 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Dionne!

Welcome to the boards! Sorry to hear that your stomach was thrown into such a bad state from the cleanse, that sucks.
I think everyone has given you good ideas so far, but I thought I would chime in with a few too..
First, I would say to definitely cut out all dairy for a while. It's true that some people are able to tolerate it in small amounts, but while you are trying to get stable I would elminiate it completely and give your gut a chance to heal itself. In it's place, I have also have trouble (I'm in Vancouver) but I have found some good replacements..
- Milk = Silk Soy Milk (the chocolate is delicious!)
- Cheese = I use a soy cheese called "Okanagan's Soya Loaf", which I dunno is available everywhere but it makes *great* mozarella cheese for soy pizzas. Soy cheese is sort of a guess and test - some are horrible and some are really good.
- Yogurt = Although I have found quite a few brands of soy yogurt, I have yet to find one I like. But "So Good" makes some you might want to try.
- Ice cream = Tofutti Cuties! OMG, soooo good. Tofutti fudge bars are good, and their other ice cream is good too. I also eat a lot of sorbet which is dairy free (Hagen Daaz Mango is really yummy).
- Sour Cream - Tofutti makes a good one, good for baked pots.
On toast, I use "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter - Light" and I also put this in recipes, for cooking, on periogies, on pasta, on baked potatoes.. Love it!
I also use low fat peanut butter in small amounts.
For rice, I like to cook rice using half water and half chicken broth (make sure it is Fat Free with no MSG) and some lemon juice (or rinds) to give it more flavour.
Pasta is pretty easy as I usually just eat a tomato and herb sauce. If you are craving meat sauce, cook up some ground turkey with onions and garlic to keep it moist and then throw that into the tomato sauce - yummy! Then use some soy parmesan cheese if you can find it, or melt a little soy mozarella... mmmmm.

I personally don't drink vegetable juice because it bothers my reflux and I find the pure veggies make my tummy rumbly. What I do like to do to get my veggies in is make a batch of vegetable soup with a SF base (carrots and potatoes) and have servings of that to up my vegetable intake.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

i live in calgary new
      #280044 - 08/27/06 08:09 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i can help you find things that are available here if you like, you can email me privately if you like.

Re: i live in calgary new
      #331604 - 06/26/08 09:54 AM
Hera

Reged: 06/26/08
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Did you ever find a support group in Calgary, I'm looking for one and can't find one.

#331623 - 06/26/08 05:54 PM
alyssum

Reged: 06/01/08
Loc: Ohio

I use a few tsp of Organic Coconut oil on pasta, bread, etc. in lieu of butter, margarine, etc. My mom sent me a link about IBS and Coconut oil. Just like fiber supplements, I had to slowly increase my intake over a month or two. I take 2 to 3 Tbsp per day, but use NO other fats in my diet. Save for those naturally in my foods. I eat only the leanest cuts of white meat poultry (NO processed meats).

The bread part was VERY hard for me to get used to. And eliminating HIGH FIBER (the insoluble type) cereals. At least I have a true reason to eat Fresh Italian Bread from the bakery around the corner. I HATE "white" bread, but enjoy the crusty fresh baked types. I was raised on only "nutty" whole grain breads, it has been a big adjustment. My local baker has gotten to know me and my needs. He makes these "Spinach Rolls" of crusty Italian bread wrapped around Chopped spinach and a little garlic. YUM!!!

I now steam or gently sautee (in 1 tsp of coconut oil in a non stick pan) my veggies vs. eating them raw. It works for me, but I know others cannot eat them this way. I was raised eating the fresh, crunchy and rarely cooked!

It was hard for me to get over the fact that my "healthy" diet was making me miserable! Heather's book and this forum have brought me a huge comfort in more ways than one!

--------------------
"Learn to write your hurts in the sand and your benefits in stone . . ."
IBS-A, predominantly D, Gas & bloating.
Chronic Migraines

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2174 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3279

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review