All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Soy--Good or Bad?
      #279314 - 08/21/06 11:10 AM
wombat

Reged: 08/18/06
Loc: NM

What do you all think of the Soy debate? One side says that it's healthy, the other side says that soy has all these things that are unhealthy. Aside from Heather, who do we trust?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy--Good or Bad? new
      #279333 - 08/21/06 01:55 PM
sarah123

Reged: 06/19/06
Loc: canada

I actually wondered about that too!I heard that some soy products can cause breast cancer if it runs in your family.I do drink soy milk and it does worry me a bit cause breast cancer runs in my family.I'm not sure who to talk to about that,but I would like to know.If you find anything out email me to let me know if you don't mind.

the sorta deal on soy new
      #279337 - 08/21/06 02:41 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Soy issue is complicated, there is rising evidence that soy in certain forms is not that great for us in large quantities, so its kinda up to the individual, the best forms of soy are the fermented ones, miso, soy sauce and tempeh, but tempeh takes osme getting used to. i eat tofu 2-3 times per week in stir fry's and sandwiches,and some bragg's as seasoning but that is all the soy i eat. i drink rice or almond milk, make sure anything that i buy has no soy ingredients, do not eat soy cheese, etc, so to me that makes an ok consumption of soy. The problem is when people have tofu and soymilk and luna bars and etc since most packaged products have soy added to them in droves. Look for rice or almond alternatives to soy when possible, galaxy foods make a fantastic rice cheese, that does contain casein, but so do most soy cheeses.
Hope this helps.

Re: the sorta deal on soy new
      #279366 - 08/21/06 07:16 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Oooh where do you find galaxy cheese? I love rice milk and would love to try rice cheese! How does it taste?

#279392 - 08/22/06 05:32 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

the mozzarella is great, i used to love it before i ditched cheese altogether it even melts nice. I find it at loblaws or health food stores, check galaxy foods website and see who they have listed near you. It the same company that makes veggie slices soy cheeses, there is even a rice parmesan and a rice cream cheese, sour cream and butter.

#279408 - 08/22/06 06:32 AM
demo

Reged: 08/15/06
Loc: New York

Isn't casein a no-no, though? I've been trying to avoid it, but honestly, there aren't many soy products out there that don't include some sort of milk derivative in their ingredients. I thought casein was just as bad as lactose.

So did I new
      #279409 - 08/22/06 06:34 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I can't tolerate soy and can't find any rice alternatives without casein.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: So did I new
      #279411 - 08/22/06 06:38 AM
demo

Jordy, are you a vegetarian, too? If so, how do you deal with not eating soy replacements?

No new
      #279412 - 08/22/06 06:40 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I'm not a vegetarian. I'd starve because I cannot tolerate the alternatives...like soy.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: No new
      #279413 - 08/22/06 06:49 AM
demo

I know what you mean. Do you get bloated and stuff from soy, if you don't mind my asking?
Anyone else out there a vegetarian who doesn't do well with soy?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 581 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18601

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review