All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: In regards to previous posts about soy being good or bad new
      #288978 - 11/04/06 06:45 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

soymilk is not suitable as an infant formula because it doesn't have all of the right components to be complete for a baby, not enough fat etc. there are soy infant formulas that have the fat etc added so those are what are used fir formula.
i personally go on the diversified idea that i use soy, but not as my relacement for everything, i rotate so that my body doesn't develop an aversion or the hormone thing doesn't become an issue. I only eat tofu 2-3 times a week max and rotate between rice and almond milk as i don't like the taste of soy milk, i also avoid products with all of the processed versions of soy as they are almost always GMO.
i would say go ahead and give your kids the soymilk, it is much better for them than regular antibiotic laden milk and less allergenic, but also try other alternative milks so thats its not always soy.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi, Kandee. Nothing to add, just wanted to say that seeing you always makes me smile. -nt- new
      #288983 - 11/04/06 08:04 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#288991 - 11/04/06 09:11 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Interesting. Here I thought that I could just substitute everything with soy, but apparently I was having more dairy than I realized b/c I'm realizing how much soy replacement I'm using (forgot to mention the soy cream cheese and Luna Bars that I just tried). I don't mind my kids having dairy...they have no adverse reactions to it...I just wanted to be sure that the soy was okay for them. For example, we don't usually drink chocolate milk, but if my son wants some, now I will give him the soy chocolate milk instead of Hershey's syrup in regular milk. I was assuming that was a better choice.

As for me, that is a good idea to switch off with the soy/rice/almond milks...I can certainly do that for my smoothies and oatmeal. I don't think I will notice a difference. (I really don't like how any of them taste by themselves..I'm really missing my cold cereal with milk...by the way is the "oat milk" much different tasting?)

My question seems to be answered, but I'm still wondering what amount might be too much. The fact that I'm drinking the Soyfee (1-2cups/day) adds a definite soy intake daily.

And yes, Heather's diet and information is soooo helpful. So are the people on this board. It is so relieving to hear such similar concerns/issues without thinking that it is all in your head.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#288999 - 11/04/06 12:20 PM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

Soy BAD. Soy = high in weak phytoestrogens.
If you are not menopausal you do not need to put extra estrogen in your body. Not good.

Think about it. The truth is SOY Milk is simply LIQUIFIED BEAN OR BEAN JUICE - but that doesn't sound very marketable now, does it. So silly - if you ate a BOWL OF BEANS...what WOULD A PERSON WITH IBS EXPECT TO HAPPEN? (think people) Come on...would you eat liquified bean juice? How about mashed bean anything...bean beans...there is a reason why we avoid them! And recent research says Soy - no no...don't do soy.

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/index.htm

Read it and ... you know.

Edited by sweetpea (11/04/06 12:27 PM)

too extreme saying soy=no new
      #289014 - 11/04/06 02:28 PM
Miso

soy is not horrible fro you but it should not be consumed in the amount that we have led to believe that we should. For some reason in north america we get told one thing is good for us and we go overboard with it. Soy is good for you in moderation, just like anything else, but yes too much of it, especially non fermented and it has the potential to cause problems with thyroid etc. For this reason as i mentioned i do tofu max 3x a week and drink rice and almond milk instead of soy milk and do not purchase products that contain soy as additives as much as i can, that way i am getting fairly pure say and only a certain amount of it. I would advise against soy coffee, cheese, milk, cream cheese and ice cream, yogurt and tofu in ones diet, that is too much soy in my opinion, if it is eaten in more than 3 products a day.
As i saud thereare rice and nut alternatives that match the soy versions, so perhaps someone could do as i do with my milks and rotate with versions.
Hopefully no one runs away from soy, but also don't go totally nuts over it.

#289031 - 11/04/06 07:21 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Thank you SO much, Kandee. I had NO IDEA whatsoever about any of this. I don't like soy milk and other soy products, but I think my mom has been overdosing on soy for awhile... and I think this is really important to know... THANKS!

I am probably not going to stop eating soy burgers (but I only do onse a week, I'm not a burger lover anyway), but I will know and I won't make myself eat one if I don't feel like it just for the alleged health benefits.

I'm in complete shock about soy new
      #289034 - 11/04/06 07:40 PM
line415

I don't understand. How can some of these articles say such bad things about soy while so many other claims promote it to be healthy...or at least a healthier alternative. I have to wonder while I was reading the basically "anti-soy attacks" if the same type of articles could be written about so many other things that we ingest (ie., milk, meat, etc. can be reported as harmful). I am so glad that I posted this question, as I was starting to go "soy crazy" and now I will reconsider and do everything in moderation. The one thing that I don't want to give up is the daily Soyfee though. You don't understand...I was one of those people who NEED their morning cup of coffee (whether it was physical or psychological...it doesn't matter). I can't stand tea and the warm morning "coffee-tasting" replacement is the only thing from keeping me from a cup of real joe. Rocomojo sells a coffee replacment too but that is soy...I'll look into teechino...I don't know what that is made of or if I like it. (Meanwhile, I just ordered 8 bags of Soyfee to get the bargain price) Well, I guess I will switch up on the milk replacements and watch how much other soy I ingest. This was a real surprise to me to hear all this negativity about soy. I'm wondering if Heather has any comments. (Also, I didn't read all the articles so the ones I read were not 2006 research.)

--------------------

don't go into avoidance though new
      #289037 - 11/04/06 08:57 PM
Miso

remember to see the good and bad pointing research for its potential to be right and wrong. like i said i moderate my intake, but definetly still eat it, i love tofu. So by all means enjoy your soyfee, just don't overdue it on a daily basis with all the other soy things, like i said max 3 a day or something is a decent way to look at it. Soyfee + a piece of soy cheese one day and soyfee + soy something else and soy icream, etc. Don't get too scared, it is god for you, but yes moderation is key, even with anything i try to rotate my foods so that i don't become sensitive to any of them.

In regards to the SOY.... new
      #289052 - 11/05/06 08:38 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Its not bad for IBS. But anything in moderation is fine. Period.

Thanks Miso...I'm sipping a cup right now! n/t new
      #289056 - 11/05/06 09:31 AM
line415

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 820 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18787

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review