Loc: NM

Thanks for the links. Good info.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

No simple answer new
      #279564 - 08/22/06 06:23 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

From a digestibility point of view soy, egg whites, casein, milk and whey have a digestibility of 1.0 measured using the 'Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score'(PDCAAS). This is a method of evaluating the protein quality based on the amino acid requirements of humans. Things like beans, peanuts, beef and lentils are not as digestible and have PDCAAS between 0.52 and 0.68.

http://www.jssm.org/vol3/n3/2/v3n3-2pdf.pdf

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Soy is a BEAN.... new
      #279686 - 08/23/06 06:13 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

And it is one of the hardest beans to digest! My friend was in accupuncture school, and the whole class tested food allergies. They did this by eating only white rice for a few days, then slowly adding in a new food a day and seeing how their bodies reacted to it. Apparently, 90% of the class was allergic to soy!! I for one cannot tolerate it. It makes me bloated and gassy.... Even Luna Bars mess me up! So just remember, soy is a bean and a hard bean to digest!
Also, I notice that a LOT of soy products have A LOT of ingrediants. I try to eat as many "whole foods" as possible. It seems the safest to me on many many levels. Even though some of those products taste awesome (I love fakin' bacon by Morning Star Farms), I don't think they're much better than other processed foods!

Re: Soy--Good or Bad? new
      #279692 - 08/23/06 06:25 PM
lms1977

Reged: 08/22/06

It really depends on your body. I know that for women it is highly subjective. Most people say that soy is great for hormones but it threw mine completely out of whack and made my PMS an absolute nightmare. I finally left it alone.

Speaking of PMS: Does anyone else find that it makes their IBS worse? How do you deal?

What do you mean by "whole foods"?-nt new
      #279693 - 08/23/06 06:28 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: What do you mean by "whole foods"?-nt new
      #279713 - 08/23/06 08:49 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

What I mean by whole foods is foods as close to their natural source as possible. Not processed, very few ingredients. So I'd rather eat a soup I make myself with carrots, potatoes, spinach, etc, then a soup I bought from the store with tons of ingredients that I don't even understand. Does that make sense? There is a book called Healing with Whole Foods. It's all about eating foods that are natural and not processed.

Re: What do you mean by "whole foods"?-nt new
      #279745 - 08/24/06 06:54 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Thanks, I thought you meant you ate raw foods.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Check out the "That time of the month" thread... -nt- new
      #279815 - 08/24/06 10:58 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

In regards to previous posts about soy being good or bad new
      #288957 - 11/03/06 07:16 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I have never done any research, but have always heard the commercialized messages that soy is good for you. I just read through this interesting previous thread about soy and its pros and cons. What I'm hearing is that if you can tolerate it, it is good for you. Is that correct? In other words, pre-Heather I never touched an ounce of soy in my life. Now I drink Soyfee (brewed soybeans) EVERY morning, have soy milk in my oatmeal, and make smoothies out of soy milk. Those are the daily staples and then I might add some more if I make something requiring a dairy alternative. I am tolerating it extremely well. So am I becoming healthier for it? (besides improving the IBS) Or is there such a thing as "too much of a good thing?" with soy? Also, I know that the soy milks often say, "not suitable as infant formula." I was wondering if soy is beneficial for children too (toddler/preschooler). I have been sharing my smoothies with them (which has been a great way to get them to eat some fruits they dislike) and I was wondering if using milk instead of soy milk at their age would be better. Any thoughts? thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: In regards to previous posts about soy being good or bad new
      #288962 - 11/03/06 08:58 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I have never done any research, but have always heard the commercialized messages that soy is good for you. I just read through this interesting previous thread about soy and its pros and cons. What I'm hearing is that if you can tolerate it, it is good for you. Is that correct? In other words, pre-Heather I never touched an ounce of soy in my life. Now I drink Soyfee (brewed soybeans) EVERY morning, have soy milk in my oatmeal, and make smoothies out of soy milk. Those are the daily staples and then I might add some more if I make something requiring a dairy alternative. I am tolerating it extremely well. So am I becoming healthier for it? Personally, I'm not sure, but as long as you find it a suitable IBS sub for dairy I don't see any harm. (besides improving the IBS) Or is there such a thing as "too much of a good thing?" with soy? Oh I'm sure there is, as with anything. Also, I know that the soy milks often say, "not suitable as infant formula." I was wondering if soy is beneficial for children too (toddler/preschooler). Here is where I may be able to help you with WHY that has been put on labels. Here is a VERY old, 2004 post that you may want to read throughout, plus all the good replies. I have been sharing my smoothies with them (which has been a great way to get them to eat some fruits they dislike) and I was wondering if using milk instead of soy milk at their age would be better. If it's very little it probably doesn't hurt but if you don't want them to have soy or dairy then you could always use a rice or nut milk alternative. I happen to like the nut milk alternatives so much better than the rice, especially the Almond and Hazelnut ones. Hope this helps a little, and welcome to the boards. Heather's diet is amazing, isn't it?
Kandee
Any thoughts? thanks.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 695 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18788

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review