All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Soy--Good or Bad? new
      #279418 - 08/22/06 07:22 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Here's an old thread on this. I'll just add that my oncologist (I had estrogen receptor negative breast cancer) prefers I stay away from all of the phytoestrogen supplements (like black cohosh and red clover), but believes that eating soy products is fine. You might also take a look at this web page for an overview of phytoestrogens and a brief discussion of how woefully little we know about them.

The other thing to remember about soy if that is you have thyroid problems, you should talk to your endocrinologist about soy. My own endocrinologist's view is, again, that soy as a food is fine as long as I don't eat it right on top of taking my Synthroid, but I know others feel differently.

I think the best way to look at this is to remember that, as Marian Burros says, food is not medicine. Eat soy if you like, don't eat soy if you don't like it, and all things in moderation.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Casein new
      #279422 - 08/22/06 07:26 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This is a dairy protein that is hard for IBSers to digest, just like whey. What I found is that once I was stable for a while I could tolerate it as a relatively minor additive in stuff like soy cheese. I do think, though, that you need to wait until you're stable to try it, because otherwise you won't be able to tell if it bothers you. If I remember correctly, the reason it's in so many non-dairy cheeses is that it makes them melt realistically.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

veganrella new
      #279440 - 08/22/06 08:12 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

vegan rella is a oat/rice based cheese that does nt use any milk ingredients at all, as it is vegan, however it is a very individual taste, so if you would like to try that one i say go for it, the mozzarella is always better than the cheddars, but if you are able to tolerate a tad of the casein the galaxy rice cheese is amazing, truly amazing.

Re: veganrella new
      #279442 - 08/22/06 08:19 AM
demo

Reged: 08/15/06
Loc: New York

thanks, i'll try the veganrella. i know i've seen it before. are there any cheddar-flavored cheese substitutes that taste okay? i think i might even be okay with the casein. i never thought cheese was a problem for me; i just stopped eating it because of the diet guidelines.

I'm a vegetarian... new
      #279453 - 08/22/06 09:56 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

...and I have to be careful with soy. I used to drink soy milk, but decided it gave me gas. So I switched to rice milk, and also I LOVE rice cheese (not sure which brand). Soy does tend to give me gas, so I don't eat a ton of it, but I make sure to take 3 beano caplets every time I eat it. That usually helps. But I'm also not "stable" yet, so hopefully I will be able to tolerate it a little better once I am.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: I'm a vegetarian... new
      #279494 - 08/22/06 11:52 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i call myself a fishetarian, as i don't eat eggs or dairy, but do eat fish. I eat tofu 3 x per week with digestive enzymes and do fine, but i avoid most soy in my diet otherwise to not overload my system. So no soymilk, or soy margarine etc.
i eat a lot of pureed bean dips and mashed bean burgers that i make from scratch and fish 3 x per week, so that is how i get my protein without making myself sick.

Re: I'm a vegetarian...(and nighttime problems) new
      #279495 - 08/22/06 12:05 PM
demo

Reged: 08/15/06
Loc: New York

i'm going to try the rice products (even if they contain casein) and see how i do. i'm nowhere near stable either, but i definitely think soy is hard for me to take. beano doesn't seem to do much for me, even if i take 3 tablets. i can avoid soy for most of the day, so i'll just save it for my dinner, i guess, although my symptoms are worse at night. any advice on avoiding/treating nighttime gas and pain? i have a hard time sleeping next to my boyfriend when i have these symptoms and i often sleep in the next room if it's bad enough. how long does it usually take to stabilize?

I thought I was the only one new
      #279497 - 08/22/06 12:08 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

....that Beano didn't work for!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Yes new
      #279498 - 08/22/06 12:09 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I get bloat and gas from soy.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Soy--Good or Bad? new
      #279512 - 08/22/06 12:47 PM
wombat

Reged: 08/18/06
Loc: NM

Google Dr. Kaayla T. Daniel. She wrote a book on the dangers of soy. There are tons of sites, books and testimonials on the health benefits of soy, but precious little about the possible harmful effects.

I still have not gotten a definite answer on whether or not soy is good for you. It seems that the pat answer is it's okay in moderation. I'll continue my research, but I just wanted to know if anyone had heard anything above and beyond my own limited knowledge.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 905 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18787

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review