All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Depo Provera
      #27891 - 11/19/03 11:07 AM
Jessica

Reged: 11/18/03

I started Depo Provera three months agi (BAD decision) I had awful side effects from it and still having spotting and cramps, so obviously I have decided not to use it anymore. However, I was wondering if this form of birth control could bring on IBS or aggravate it> Like, maybe when it wears off I will feel better? ANyone know anything?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Depo Provera new
      #27892 - 11/19/03 11:11 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

Wow. That stuff is scary. Lot's of prog, no est... causes severe moodswings, weight gain, hormone changes, etc. I think it could definitely affect IBS. You should return to normal within 4-12 weeks. I have heard good things about the patch -- it is a good balance of est and prog, not oral (duh, lol), and is a VERY low dosage -- that's my recc.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#27960 - 11/19/03 08:22 PM
jules05

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: ON, Canada

I've been on depo provera for about 4 months now because i was having an awful time with my period...cramps, mood swings and diarrhea...and i've found that it's really helped me those departments. I have gained weight tho and i'm thinking that it's probably linked with that. I'd rather deal with the weight gain then what i was going through every month. I know that everyone reacts to the shot differently and I feel really bad that you're having such a rough time. Hopefully it'll be out of your system soon. I guess that's the risk we take trying something that is going to stay in us for awhile. I was planning on trying the patch before depo provera but it's still not available where I am in Canada (not sure if that's all over canada or not) and got tired of waiting. If it's available to you I would suggest to try it if your main reason is for birth control purposes. Not sure how it affects or helps the body for other purposes. Hope you feel better soon!

#27967 - 11/19/03 08:57 PM
Kristin

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: New Jersey

Hi Jessica,

I was on Depo about three years ago. I was spotting all the time, had horrible periods (with terrible d) and wanted to find something to stop the pain. The depo stopped my period completely, which was great at first because of the horrible cramps/d. But, I ended up losing a lot of hair (I guess because of the hormones) and had to stop. I'm now (after trying many pills) on NuvaRing. It has done wonders for me. But, if you're IBS-C, I don't recommend it.

Good luck!
Kristin

#27974 - 11/19/03 09:35 PM
Shanna

The patch was not in production for a while... I think it is back.

I'm glad that you have something that's working for you!

Weight gain is normal when taking birth control, but it is even more of an issue on Ortho Evra.

--------------------

OOPS new
      #27975 - 11/19/03 09:36 PM
Shanna

I mean that weight gain is more of an issue on Depro (the shot).

--------------------

#28159 - 11/21/03 05:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi Jessica

I've been on Depo for years and I'm pretty sure it has no effect on my IBS - I was on the injections WAY b4 I developed IBS.

I guess the side effects just get everyone differently. My weight went up a bit when I started on it, but then it stabilised. That's about all the side effects I had, although I did get spotting and periods for the 1st couple of jabs. All gone now.

I have the Depo not a hormone mixture because I get migraines and oestrogen triggers those.

Each to their own, I guess.

linz

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3845 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1608

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review