All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
I'm very confused
      #278427 - 08/15/06 01:42 PM
demo

Reged: 08/15/06
Loc: New York

I've had IBS-C for about 10 years now. I'm on Zelnorm, which has helped considerably, but lately, I've been experiencing horrible episodes of flatulence, about which I'm indescribably embarrassed. I think I've tried everything on the market--simethicone, beano, etc.--and I've not really had remarkable results. It's affecting my sleep because I'm afraid of what the night will bring for my boyfriend.
I was following all of the advice on this site (including fennel tea and acacia), but nothing has really helped me.
I started seeing a nutritionist, and she recommends upping the fiber intake (whole grains, beans, etc.)--i'm a vegetarian also--because fermentation of the stool can cause these side effects.
I'm really at a loss. And I'm miserable.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm very confused new
      #278432 - 08/15/06 02:14 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Whole grains - bad idea. Try for small meals (5 or 6 throughout the day), always eat SF and then something else. Also, avoid all the gas producing veggies, or eat them in small quantities, and very well cooked.
Chew thoroughly and slowly.
Eat slowly and don't gulp your drinks.
There's some great gas relievers in the Yoga for IBS icon on the Left hand side of this page.
Keep up with the fennel - drink several cups a day.
It could also be you might be trying too much acacia at once. What's your dose? Did you increase it slowly????

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#278453 - 08/15/06 04:42 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

It's affecting my sleep because I'm afraid of what the night will bring for my boyfriend.

I understand your embarassment but your BF should be supportive of this. It happens to us all. Gas comes with the territory for many of us. Something like hypno may help - it should reduce the gas, and will likely allow you to not be embarassed by it.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#278458 - 08/15/06 05:06 PM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

Just read your siggy line-HA HA! Don't know whether to laugh or cry though!

--------------------

#278507 - 08/16/06 06:49 AM
demo

He is supportive, but it doesn't relieve my embarrassment!

#278508 - 08/16/06 06:52 AM
demo

Thanks, HanSolo. I'll try the yoga advice. My nutritionist tells me that white breads and potatos are constipating, though. How do I win and does anyone have suggestions on what I can eat to avoid both constipation and gas in terms of flour products?

My GI doctor and IBS dietician told me the same thing. new
      #278525 - 08/16/06 08:21 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I guess we are suppose to just eat more IF with the white products? I still think I get constipated with white rice and white breads even when I eat them with IF veggies. Maybe it's all in my mind, though?

I want to try Acacia soon too! Keep posting on how you are doing with it. How much do you take? Is it causing you gas/bloat?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Soluble fibre is your friend!!!!! READ!!!! new
      #278565 - 08/16/06 12:07 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

NO!!!@! White bread and potatoes do NOT cause constipation. If you read the dietary guidelines on soluble fibre, you'll discover that it draws water into the stool to make it soft to pass. Know what virtually ALL fiber supplements are made of? Yup! Soluble fibre. Yes, if you ONLY ate soluble fibre and nothing else, yes, chances in the end you would be constipated. Not from the SF, but from the lack of insoluble. You need to keep taking in the SF FIRST. Then add in the insolubles slowly and carefully. SF is now your best friend.
I get really angry when doctors or nutritionists say that potatoes or white bread or white rice have no fibre. That's not true at all - it's SOLUBLE fibre. And all they care about is insoluble - because they think that's the only kind that counts. Not so. Soluble has lots of benefits, too. Especially for us.
I know it's confusing. Hang in there, and sorry for the rant. I just love my SF and get defensive (not at you, but at ignorant doctors, etc.)

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#278606 - 08/16/06 02:56 PM
demo

Okay, I'll keep up the SF intake. Thanks again. So much.

#278614 - 08/16/06 04:03 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

I agree wholeheartedly about the importance of soluble fiber. SF is so soothing to your gut, and will not produce the kind of gas you are suffering from. However, if you struggle at all with constipation, it is really helpful to eat IF foods with things like potatoes and white rice...in my experience, those kinds of starchy things don't provide enough fiber on their own to keep me regular. It also depends on your individual tolerances, though...I need lots of safe(r) IF like cooked lentils and beans, brown rice, and cooked veggies, but I know some D people who can only tolerate a very small amount of IF in their diet. Of course, the most important thing is to eat both kinds of fiber at the same meal or snack, in the right combination for you. Your best bet is to experiment, and find out what works for you! Good luck!

--------------------
Julia

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 508 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11905

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review