All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: I'm very confused new
      #278631 - 08/16/06 05:39 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I understand. I'm glad that he is supporting you through this. If you haven't tried hypno yet, I suggest giving it a go. It was the only thing I found that really helped reduce the amount of gas I had.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Probiotics new
      #278636 - 08/16/06 05:43 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

It helps with gas. You should probably tell a difference after a couple of months.

Re:Extremely well said, D! -nt- new
      #278701 - 08/17/06 05:53 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

About the fiber new
      #278705 - 08/17/06 06:31 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

I get really angry when doctors or nutritionists say that potatoes or white bread or white rice have no fibre

Why does the label on my white rice and french bread say 0 grams fiber? I'm really confused. If they contained soluble fiber, how can it say 0? That would include SF and IF.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Good question. new
      #278719 - 08/17/06 07:25 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

It's because they're counting the insoluble fibre and not the soluble. In these days, they really have us brainwashed that soluble fibre is not really a fibre and therefore doesn't exist.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Good question. new
      #278721 - 08/17/06 07:31 AM
Jordy

But with something like Oatmeal, they put 4 grams down for fiber (2 of which are SF and 2 IF). If it contains no IF at all, they wouldn't just state the SF?

--------------------

Re: Soluble fibre is your friend!!!!! READ!!!! new
      #278726 - 08/17/06 07:35 AM
demo

Reged: 08/15/06
Loc: New York

Thanks for your recommendations. I do suffer from constipation, and will try what you suggest and eat the two fiber types together. I'm also going to try to take Beano with every meal I eat that contains IF, such as beans, to see if that helps. So, brown rice is IF? I figured as much, since it still has the rice bran attached, but wasn't certain.

Re: Probiotics new
      #278727 - 08/17/06 07:37 AM
demo

Reged: 08/15/06
Loc: New York

Getting some today!

Brown rice new
      #278728 - 08/17/06 07:38 AM
Jordy

so, if we have a meal of chicken, brown rice, and spinach, we aren't getting any SF with that meal? Would it be advisable to change the veggie to squash or carrots then? I love brown rice....but I've been eating it with spinach, green beans, zucchini, peas.

--------------------

Nutrition labels, oatmeal, bananas, trust Heather's list, and brown rice new
      #278742 - 08/17/06 09:28 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Some products list only INsoluble fiber, some products list both combined, and some break them out. As HanSolo says, many health claims today consider only INsoluble fiber, which is insane not only because of IBS but also because soluble fiber seems to be the one that best removes cholesterol from your system. Oatmeal, on the other hand, lists both types of fiber because oatmeal's health claims are based on the fact that is has both: soluble fiber to "sweep" cholesterol out of your system and insoluble fiber for the benefits it seems to bring with regard to some colon cancers.

As if that isn't confusing enough, some products label like this:

Fiber: 4 grams
Soluble Fiber: 4 grams

Now, does that mean 4 grams of IF *and* 4 grams of SF, or just 4 grams of fiber all of which is SF? It depends on the product. (I actually emailed one of the banana companies about their bananas because of this type of labeling. For bananas, it was all SF.)

Everyone will have a little variance, but I strongly recommend you begin by trying the EFI Diet as Heather lays it out: avoid the triggers like the plague; make SF (as defined on Heather's list) the basis of every meal and snack; eat safe proteins; eat IF safely - always cushioned by SF and, if you need to, chopped, cooked, and pureed to make it easier to digest.

If you're IBS-C, you want to eat as much IF as possible while cushioning it with enough SF to keep your gut from spasming. Think of starting with SF as getting your digestive motor going, priming the pump, and cushioning the blow all at once. (how SF works; cars and charts; metaphors; SF is your friend - and so is your SFS)

As for brown rice, it's one of those strange foods like oatmeal and cornmeal - some SF, some IF. All three show up on Heather's list of SF foods, but tolerance for them varies a lot. I wouldn't make brown rice or oatmeal my SF base, but some people may be able to - and I do fine with cornbread as my SF base. Here's an old thread that will tell you more about brown rice than you probably ever wanted to know.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1500 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11675

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review