All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sucralose safe for IBS????
      #278336 - 08/15/06 04:38 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Does anyone know if Sucralose, which I believe is splenda is safe for IBS'ers??
Thanks

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sucralose safe for IBS???? new
      #278337 - 08/15/06 05:51 AM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

Everyone here says it's not, but I use it all the time and don't have a problem with it. I'm not sure what the basis is for believing it is a trigger. I understand sugar alcohols cause lots of problems but sucralose is not the same as those.

--------------------
Kim

#278342 - 08/15/06 06:30 AM
NancyB

Reged: 08/13/06

I have a feeling that all of this (what is a trigger/what is safe) ultimately comes down to personal experience and each person is different. Some people can tolerate things that others can not. Heather's guidelines are a great place to start/experiment and ultimately decide what works for you and what doesn't. I don't know about Splenda and IBS -- however, I have a huge personal bias agains artificial sweeteners in general; don't trust them and they taste bad when you really think about it. A little sugar doesn't usually hurt unless you are obese or diabetic.

All that being said, I can really identify with your frustration expressed in your other posting. I tend to not experiment with anything new because I hardly ever "stabilize". Some of the suggestions from others are absolutely worth pursuing -- especially parasites (you may need them to take a scraping from inside you instead of a stool sample to get a good specimen). I had chronic dysentary for 6 years in my 20's that was misdiagnosed as IBS (then I had 10 good years until my gall bladder had to come out!). Have you had CT scans or MRI? Intestinal blockage can cause diarrhea and severe pain...Good luck and hope you are feeling better!

#278349 - 08/15/06 07:18 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I don't think it's safe for non-IBSers! All the folks I know get horrible stinky gas with it, particularly if it's in a cold product like ice cream.

--AC

Nope! Not safe. -nt- new
      #278356 - 08/15/06 07:48 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Stay away from Splenda new
      #278377 - 08/15/06 09:50 AM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

A woman from work who does not have IBS but was on a diet through Lindora using a lot of Splenda enhanced products got very sick. She went to a regular doctor and then to my allergist... both of them told her it most likely was a reaction to the Splenda. The one told her the FDA is going to have to do something soon because it seems many people have a lifetime cap on Splenda. She apparently had reached her threshold and then it became toxic to her system.

The product has become so prevalent in the food and drinks on the grocery store shelves and as more people hit that cap they are going to have to address the issue. It really concerns me how much kids consume without even being aware of it.

The woman from work basically had to go through a detox time for 6-8 weeks - she is fine now - but reads every label!

Leigh

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4762 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3716

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review