All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
is splenda okay?
      #278230 - 08/14/06 07:46 AM
dancer1

Reged: 08/14/06
Loc: Orlando, FL

i just got heathers book. i've had ibs for almost 2 years. i've just started reading. it was writen in 2000 and splenda has since come out. is that okay to use as a sweetener or is that on the no list also?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: is splenda okay? new
      #278231 - 08/14/06 08:15 AM
craftymeg

Reged: 07/07/06
Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Unfortunately, Splenda is made up of sucralose which is an artificial sweetener and is referred to as a trigger. At least as far as I have been able to understand.

#278241 - 08/14/06 09:15 AM
vls

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Central Ohio

Yea, splenda is bad stuff. As it's a chemical, no one, even those with out IBS, can digest it. Which can cause gas, bloating, D, etc.

#278242 - 08/14/06 09:21 AM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

Unfortunately, probably not. Ever since my symptoms have increased here lately, I've done some reading up on Splenda, and I definitely believe it IS a trigger. There is much more negative info out there than positive. I have a contact who lives in this area I wrote to after reading this info, and he too encouraged me to stay off it, saying I would feel much better. Unfortunately, I don't, because I have other issues, but I still don't dare risk any Splenda. Here's a link to a good resource page for you. http://www.foodanddiet.com/NewFiles/splenda.html

Good luck! Amy

--------------------

Do you do okay with Stevia?-nt new
      #278250 - 08/14/06 10:01 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#278256 - 08/14/06 10:36 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

Splenda doesn't work for me. I actually think it is a BIG reason for the IBS issues I have now! I was having some problems late 05, was diagnosed w/IBS in Jan 06, At that time I was told to "watch my diet, be careful of greasy, fatty foods". I started doing a lot better. Then I went on the South Beach diet, started using a LOT of Splenda. Now I'm sick again, have been since May. It was hard to stop using it because I was so "into" South Beach, but I finally have stopped using it totally & am starting to get better. The other posts are right, sucralose cannot be digested, so it goes right through, taking everything else with it (sorry to be so gross). I will never use it again, & I would definitely not suggest using it to anyone else.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

just wanted to add--I use stevia & it doesn't affect me -nt- new
      #278257 - 08/14/06 10:38 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#278264 - 08/14/06 10:58 AM
dancer1

Reged: 08/14/06
Loc: Orlando, FL

thanks eveyone! i am so new to this. (literally today i started eating for my ibs) it is going to take some getting use to. i just realized i drank a propel today which has sucralose in it. dang it!

i will definitely try stevia.

Re: Do you do okay with Stevia?-nt new
      #278282 - 08/14/06 12:10 PM
Ericasmom

I use it from time to time-and may use it more often now that I'm trying to cut back on sugar and really get back into shape. I've never noticed the effects because my tummy is so messed up right now I can't tell WHAT's upsetting it. I just know my doctor reccomended it, and it is marketed as a "fiber" supplement.

--------------------

#278283 - 08/14/06 12:13 PM
Ericasmom

Oh geez! Thanks for telling me that about the Propel. I was drinking it all the time. It didn't have the prominent "splenda" label on the front like most products. But I looked at the ingredients, and there it was-the evil Sucralose! I'm throwing it away right now! I swear-I'm afraid to drink anything but water anymore!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1040 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1576

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review