All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Reply to Syl to Sand new
      #277721 - 08/09/06 06:09 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Your are right! I did not say she did not know ... I said "Heather does not seem to emphasis ...". If you look at the trigger foods page you will not find fructose mentioned. It is mentioned a few times in other places. On the insoluble fibre page you linked to she says "Fructose, a fruit sugar, can cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea (this is typically not true for sucrose, or plain table sugar)."

Fructose is not a fruit sugar. It is a simple sugar that is often found in fruit but occurs in many natural foods. In fact plain sugar contains fructose (1 molecule fructose + 1 molecule glucose = 1 molecule sucrose or white sugar). It is the amount of free fructose - not bound to glucose - that causes the problems.

Research shows that 40-70% of IBS suffers are also suffer from fructose malabsorption. Surely, a trigger with this sort of incidence is worth mentioning on the trigger pages.

Also, a look at the recipes shows that fruits like apples, pineapple, oranges, etc - high fructose fruits - are included in the recipes. If you scan the postings you will find that there is a lot of talk about HFC - unfortunately HFC is but only one of many foods such as honey which has high amounts of fructose.

On the EFI page it gives "Cold fat-free cereal such as Corn Chex, Kix, Rice Chex, Rice Krispies, Honeycomb, or Corn Pops, eaten dry." and "Homemade dried or fresh bananas". Unfortunately, many of these cereals contain HFC and bananas are high in fructose. Rice Krispies and bananas bothered me for years and I could never figure it out. It was the high fructose content.

Don't get me wrong. I have been lurking on this web site for a few years. Switching to SF was important thing I learned from Heather. I still use the basic diet BUT now I am extremely diligent about removing ALL high fructose foods from my diet! What a difference!!

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Edited by Syl (08/09/06 07:08 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oranges new
      #291645 - 11/28/06 12:34 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

fruits like apples, pineapple, oranges, etc - high fructose fruits

Oranges are low fructose. Or at leaat they have enough glucose to make them safe. web page

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 727 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9493

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review