All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Would like to hear from anyone who has tried Imodium products...
      #277583 - 08/08/06 06:47 AM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

I have seen Imodium products in the stores and have used the AD capsule. I'm not quite sure how much I should take to keep from being constipated. Is there a rule of thumb on this, or does it depend on the individuals system?? Is there anything else that works on D.

Snow White

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Would like to hear from anyone who has tried Imodium products... new
      #277589 - 08/08/06 07:17 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I found Imodium was the easiest and most effective on D. I take 1-2 capsules if I'm having too many BMs. It does vary person to person, start with 1 capsule and see how it affects you. If your bms haven't slowed down, take another. If you notice you get more C for the next few days then next time take less. Also, I find that even if I'm C after taking too much Imodium, eating more veggies/IF helps me go.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#277591 - 08/08/06 07:22 AM
JJBean

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Buffalo, NY

I've found that even a half a pill causes constipation for a day or so afterwards. However, it really does stop the D, so it's totally worth it if I'm in a tight spot and can't spend a few hours in the bathroom. Some people on the boards take a pill each day as a preventive measure, so you'll just have to try it and see what works for you.

Jeannine

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

are you a c or a d? new
      #277597 - 08/08/06 07:45 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

reading your post- it sounds like you are a c- in which case imodium will NOT help - it is an anti D agent for those with D or A it can help

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: are you a c or a d? new
      #277599 - 08/08/06 07:48 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I've been a c person all my life. That is until this spring when I started taking medication for my rheumatoid arthritis. The medications causes horrible D. I find that taking one pill after D is usually enough to slow it down. If I have to go someplace and having really bad D, I'll take two and bring one with me. It does seem to make me not go at all the next day so its not perfect but there are times when you just can't be running to the potty 15 times a day!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#277602 - 08/08/06 07:56 AM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

Actually I am an A I alternate between D and C which makes it hard from day to day. Then if I'm not carefull with my diet, I get hemmhoroids and have to have them lanced. OUCH!!

Marilla

#277605 - 08/08/06 08:27 AM
BJay

Reged: 08/18/04

I originally used imodium only after the D. Then Heather suggested taking it prophylactically. I started taking 1 in the morning and 1 at night. In addition my doctor gives me Librax to take with each meal. Now I haven't been checking into this site, because I can almost forget that I have IBS. On occasion if I do get D. I just take 2 more imodium. I have found that the thing that definitely gets the IBS started is when I get upset. My son recently had an accident late at night and while I was driving to the hospital myself, my stomach started in the car and I was struggling to get 2 imodium out of my pocket while I was driving to make it to the hospital ASAP. That week my stomach acted up but now he is fine and so is my stomach. ps: my doctor never told me to take the imodium prophylactically but when I told him I was he said "that's fine continue it" I'm so glad Heather made that suggestion over 2 years ago.

Exactly how I am (m). new
      #277617 - 08/08/06 09:12 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

when I get upset or have anxiety, immediately my bowels can turn to water! I too have reached for the imodium before going to something stressful or an engagement of some sort. It really helps!

Sandy

#277659 - 08/08/06 01:31 PM
neves4

Reged: 04/30/06
Loc: Redding, CA

I use the Immodium ad/anti gas capsules all the time. I have a bottle in my bathroom, car and purse. It's terrible to never know when they will be needed but reading all of these posts, everyone seems to get the D when they are anxious and/or nervous. So do I and I think that's weird how our systems do that, don't you??? Since I get stressed about 99% of my life, I have a hard time controlling it. I also live on the Immodium during my period as that is the worse time every month for me!! I have read that hormones are related to IBS as well.

#277687 - 08/08/06 04:43 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

I take immodium regularly. I also have tablets at home, in my purse, at work, and in my car. I know, it sounds desperate, but when in a pinch, it really does work.

I've found three types of immodium. If I have a nervous stomache, and I have a meeting or something I usually grab the quick dissolves, it works really fast and 1 is good for the day. There is also one for gas and bloating and then just the regular ones.

I was taking the immodium regularly before checking out this site. But since starting the diet and taking Benefiber daily, I only take it now when I need it, or when I feel an episode coming on. I've noticed also that I don't usually get "C" symptons anymore since taking the additional fiber. But as you can read, many of us are different.

Personally, my life would not be the same without the immodium, diet and additional fiber supplement.

Good luck

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

#277692 - 08/08/06 06:01 PM
caroll56

Reged: 04/01/06

Someone handed me an article about immodium. I haven't tried it, but will make sure I have it handy. This week, so far, so good, no "D" symptoms. I've been on accacia for one week and eliminated coffee. Drinking Mint tea. My plan is to increase accacia gradually.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3943 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3551

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review