All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Poll - anxiety/depression
      #277546 - 08/07/06 05:47 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

I am curious to know how many people with IBS have trouble with anxiety or depression or both. I am considering going on medication to get a better handle on my anxiety and occasional depression. I just wonder how many of us out there are stressing our guts with our anxiety or depression. In the search for total body wellness I think it's important to look at these issues and how they relate to IBS. If anyone would like to elaborate on particular medications or other strategies they have tried that would also be helpful as well. Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Poll - anxiety/depression new
      #277548 - 08/07/06 05:54 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I have had anxiety/emotional issues for years.. An emotionally abusive childhood i'm sure is the cause and the effect is the ibs.. I used to be a bit of a cutter in my teen years, replacing the emotional anxiety and pain with physical because it was easier to deal with..
Anyways, I hate taking pills, I don't like medicating the problem because it seems like it's just a band aid insted of actually dealing with the problem.. I have tried going to a therapist to get out alot of my issues.. It helped but it was a temporary fix.. I went to a hypnotherapist to deal with certain things, and again, that helped alot as well. But so far, the BEST thing I could have ever done, was the hypno cds.. They help deal with the anxiety in a safe and natural manner.. No side effects. By helping the anxiety, I don't get panic attacks anymore.. I don't get ill if I get freaked out by a thunderstorm... I don't even get freaked out by storms in the first place. Confrontation at the work place is no longer a problem... So yeah... Medication works for many people, but personally the hypno cds will end up being cheaper in the long run and are a great asset.. But again, those are just my personal thoughts and I hope I didn't offend anyone.... good luck...

#277558 - 08/07/06 07:24 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i have anxiety and minor ocd and mionor depression, i was on meds in the past then tried 2 years of all, and i mean all things natural, which all helped to some de gree but never enough, so after some consideration and lots of crying i am back on antidepressants, i am taking cipralex, the canadian name for lexapro and so far so good, getting a handle on things and th eonly side effect i have so far is poor sleep.
good luck in your quest as different htings work for different people, if you have any other questions about meds or natural ffel free to ask as i have experienced much myself but also work at a health food store, so i have all that info too.

#277570 - 08/08/06 01:18 AM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

I've had anxiety/panic attacks and depression for many years. Probably from sexual abuse as a child (not at the hand of either parent). But the anxiety and depression got really bad in my mid 20s. I have had one-on-one counseling, hypnotherapy, group therapy, and have taken several different medications. The medication and one-on-one therapy is what worked for me. I did well on Paxil and Prozac. I did not do well on Celexa, Lexapro (couldn't stay awake), and Zoloft (diarrhea). I am currently on Prozac and Xanax when needed. I've always wondered which comes first...the anxiety then the IBS symptoms. Or the IBS symptoms then the anxiety??

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

me new
      #277572 - 08/08/06 01:54 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

yep- OCD for me so anxiety is a part of my life unfortunatley but I try not to make it my life

I sure do new
      #277576 - 08/08/06 04:44 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My problem is definitely anxiety moreso than depression. I'm on 20mg Lexapro daily, which seems to keep it in check really well. Before that, I was seeing a therapist, which didn't really go very well at all, but I think that had more to do with the therapist - she wasn't very good.

I noticed a HUGE difference for the better IBS-wise when I started working on the anxiety problems. Anxiety is seriously THE worst non-food IBS trigger.

#277577 - 08/08/06 04:58 AM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

What perfect timing! I guess I suffer from anxiety. I haven't been on any medicine for it - mainly because it just started. Back in April when I first got IBS symptoms, but that just lasted a week or so, since then I've been doing fine. Then Saturday morning, I woke up with the nervous stomach and spent alot of time in the bathroom. I know my problem is anxiety/stress. I have twins who will be freshman this fall and school starts in 2 weeks. They have both started practices for soccer (2 a days, running a total of 5 miles) and volleyball, plus they will both be working their first job at our State Fair, which starts on Thursday. I'm involved in many organizations and it seems like everything is looming over me. I've called my Dr. and am waiting for his reply. Would the dicyclomine I was prescribed at the beginning help any? I'm handling things ok so far, but 2 more weeks of feeling like this is going to be hard. I'm glad I'm not the only one out here feeling like this.

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

Re: Oh yeah! new
      #277578 - 08/08/06 05:13 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I have OCD and Bipolar (just recently diagnosed) but was diagnosed with IBS in early 20's. I found Effexor made my IBS go away completely. Unfortunately, I'm not still on it.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: which came first? new
      #277616 - 08/08/06 09:04 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

Actually there is a theory out there that the aniexty came first. Now of course i'm not a dr. so I'm not totally sure if this is true but the theory being that the food allergies/triggers are merely a side effect of the anixety. Some people just have a more sensitive stomach to these kinds of thing, and if a person could live a totally stress free life, then ibs wouldn't even really exsist. Of course the only way to do that is by a frontal labotomey but hey, it's an interesting view.

Re: Oh yeah! And to HanSolo new
      #277618 - 08/08/06 09:13 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I am not sure how anyone with IBS cannot have anxiety and depression, it makes me both, when I'm not already there. I have been on Prozac in the past with good and bad results, have not tried anything else. I have an OCPD (obsssive compulsive personality disorder), I just don't understand how people can acutally live without anxiety or depression. When I get an attack, I become very depressed, when I'm about to have one, I'm very anxious, wondering how long it's going to last, it's a never ending cycle. Hans, how come you aren't on the effexor anymore, if I can ask, it would be worth a try if it would make me stable.

LtDan Fan

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#277619 - 08/08/06 09:14 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I started taking Prozac about 7 weeks ago for depression; I think I can add anxiety to the list, too. I think I spend too much time worrying about having an attack, and stress management is seriously lacking in my life. But I'm working on it. I JUST ordered the hyno CDs, and I'm starting to work with a therapist. I'm not sure I like the Prozac, but my doctor wants to give it a full 8 weeks.

--Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Oh yeah! And to HanSolo new
      #277656 - 08/08/06 01:18 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Long story. Diagnosed w/ postpartum depression 2002. Diagnosed OCD same time. Went on Paxil. Got pregnant again and had to stop. 2003 - another baby, postpartum again, and the Paxil wasn't working. In comes effexor, risperdal and wellbutrin. Effexor took forever to work (I mean 6 months) and just didn't cut it.
Last summer hospitalized for depression, diagnosed bipolar, switched to Luvox (for OCD), added Epival, seroquel.
If you want to talk OCD, e-mail me anytime. It's a painful disease. Just let me know who you are in the title line.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Poll - anxiety/depression-I haven't been on here for awhile! new
      #277658 - 08/08/06 01:26 PM
neves4

Reged: 04/30/06
Loc: Redding, CA

Hi all!! I am back trying to get caught up with this website. So much to read and learn and I'd really like to get to know others on here-need to with the IBS and such I have. Anyhow...Oh my goodness yes!! I am a person who is always anxious and stressed out. It's almost like if there isn't anything to be stressed over, I find something because it's just impossible for me to relax. I also feel that I could be borderline OCD (if that's possible) and I was having terrible anxiety attacks. I have been on WellButrin XL and it has really worked for me. My doc was worried it may effect the IBS a bit but it hasn't-everything else does. Hang in there cuz the anxiety/depression can get bad. I also had the postpartum and it's not fun either.

dicyclomine new
      #277672 - 08/08/06 03:20 PM
czukster

I take dicyclomine when I absolutely need to but I try to avoid it if I can help it because it makes me so disoriented. I also had my doctor cut my dosage from 20mg to 10mg so that if I have an attack at work I can take one pill and still function. (20mg really puts me flat out and I shouldn't be driving or anything when I take 20mg.) Anyway, the way I look at dicyclomine is that it's great to have for attacks, but it's not good to be on it all the time because it's mainly just treating the attacks, as opposed to coming up with a diet/stress/sleep plan that avoids attacks all together. As far as dicyclomine and anxiety I would say yes it calms me down a little in that I can actually sit still but I also try to avoid taking it late at night because it makes it hard for me to sleep. Anyway, just a little of my experiences with it.

Re: Poll - anxiety/depression-Miso new
      #285075 - 10/03/06 02:47 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hi Miso - I know I have alreayd probably asked you this but how long until your sleepiness went away with celexa or Zoloft? I am so anxious about it. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am considering asking for cipralex?

Re: Poll - anxiety/depression-Miso new
      #285086 - 10/03/06 04:37 PM
Miso

it took about a month and a half for it to go away completely, the first 3 weeks were rough, plus iwas waking up at 4:30 each morning so my sleep quality was poor on top of it.
Also remember there are lots of natural things to take to counteract the tiredness of AD meds, since some side effects do stay sometimes, also when chemicals are off in the brain, it can make us need more of certain nutrients. Magnesium potassium aspartates seems to work well for a lot of people, or euleuthero works too, its siberian ginseng. Greens powders helop by supplying nutrients, but non of them agree with my stomach.

Lisa Maria... new
      #285101 - 10/03/06 06:09 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Are you still on Prozac? Is it helping your IBS at all? My doctor has mentioned this AD to me.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Lisa Maria... new
      #285202 - 10/04/06 12:47 PM
Lisa Marie

Nope, I was on it for 7 weeks then switched to Effexor. I like it MUCH better. I didn't really "feel" anything on the Prozac, and I didn't like the side effects.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#285203 - 10/04/06 12:48 PM
Jordy

How long have you been on Effexor? What side effects did Prozac cause?

--------------------

#285208 - 10/04/06 12:57 PM
Lisa Marie

Prozac caused some frustrating sexual side effects for me. I've been on the Effexor for a couple of months now, and have really noticed a difference. I'm not sure if it's just that, or the Effexor combined with the hypno, but I have definitely chilled out and become happier. I'm also finally beginning to feel more stable, which is SO good! I've had two symptom-free days in a row now, which is HUGE for me!!

Has anyone else in your family been on ADs and had good luck with them? I chose Effexor because two family members use it and have had great results.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#285220 - 10/04/06 01:56 PM
feelinggood

Hi, Well , my sister was on Prozac quite a few years back. She lost her sexual libido but at that time she did not care - she then met her husband and went off the Prozac as she wanted a sex life. Does the effexor take away your libido? I guess it is such a personal chemistry that it is an individual thing? I just keep battling if it is worth the side effects? Thanks. P.S. Do you mean the Effexor has been sympton free? Did it decrease your appetite? I am told that Effexor does that? Thanks.

#285235 - 10/04/06 05:07 PM
Lisa Marie

Hmmm... how do I put this? I wouldn't say it was a matter of libido loss, just, things becoming more "difficult", if that makes any sense...? I haven't noticed this nearly as much with the Effexor, but I'm sure it can be somewhat of an individual thing. I don't think Effexor has affected my appetite (my weight hasn't changed), but it did increase my constipation. That lasted quite a long time, until I finally started on the Natural Calm every night.

If you really think an AD will help you, then give it a shot - but give it a fair shot; at least 8 weeks. So far, it's been worth it for me!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#285242 - 10/04/06 06:06 PM
Jordy

Thanks Lisa Marie. Nobody else in my family has taken an AD....but many of them sure need to be.

--------------------

#285248 - 10/04/06 06:27 PM
feelinggood

thank you Lisa Maria - I understand what you are saying - so thus far Efforex has been the best med you have been on for side effects? Thanks, Debbie

#285249 - 10/04/06 06:28 PM
feelinggood

What hypno are you doing - the IBS tapes? Do they help relaxation in general? Thanks, Debbie, Ontario Canada IBS-C

#285311 - 10/05/06 10:22 AM
loverufus

Reged: 10/05/06

Have had panic attacks since childhood. Depression runs in both sides of my family.

Take Elavil and Paxil. The Elavil is SUPER for IBS-D! And the Paxil has eliminated all panic attacks.

Also see a therapist.

WARNING: I have gained about 70 pounds in the last 3 years on the meds. Dr. just says it's just that I was borderline anorexic with the anxiety/IBS.

I know what you mean! -nt- new
      #285337 - 10/05/06 01:03 PM
Lisa Marie

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#285338 - 10/05/06 01:04 PM
Lisa Marie

Yes, I'm doing the IBS hypno. I'm almost halfway through! I find them to be the most relaxing part of my day.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#285340 - 10/05/06 01:06 PM
Lisa Marie

Yup. But it's only the second one I've tried. I guess I got lucky!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#285716 - 10/08/06 10:49 PM
czukster

I have been on Effexor now for about 5 weeks. It's the first antidepressant I've ever been on. Things have been going alright though I wish that it had done more for my anxiety. (I have always been scared of Paxil because of the bad things that came out about it.) I'm very interested to hear that you like Elavil because I read somewhere that the tricyclic antidepressants (of which Elavil is one) are supposed to work well for people with IBS but your the first person I've heard who's been on it. I'm looking into this one.
Your post really hit home for me because sometimes I feel like I'm borderline anorexic or something. It's been alot better since I got on the IBS diet but I still lost alot of weight (I'm 5'2" and I went from a size 10 to a size 0 in little under a year and a half.) Now that I know what I can tolerate and what I can't I'm not so anxious as I was when I was in constant pain and having diarrhea and not knowing why. And truth be told, I would say that living practically 2 years like that is definetly enough to give anyone an eating disorder! And now it's still hard because food rules my life and puts me outside of the norm (can't eat out, gotta read every freaking label, gotta find time to cook good food I can eat) but I'm learning to accept it and certainly being on Effexor has helped. Having a supportive partner has also been a blessing. Anyway, thank you for your post!

Re: anyone had diffuculty taking ADs-stomach pain? new
      #289173 - 11/06/06 05:08 PM
mrsbunker

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Minnesota

I was just wondering if anyone has had diffuculty taking ADs? I'm trying to take them & can't seem to find one that doesn't kill my stomach. I'm having headaches all the time, chest pain & problems sleeping. Plus IBS which is not all that bad right now. The last suggestion was to take a Zelnorm before I take the AD. Seems silly to take a pill so I can take another pill but I think I'm going to have to try. This is killing me!

--------------------
Judy

Edited by mrsbunker (11/06/06 05:17 PM)

#289175 - 11/06/06 05:13 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Do a search on Lexapro and you'll see some of the recent posts on it. I took it for almost a year with no adverse reactions (low dosage).

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Me too new
      #289214 - 11/07/06 06:43 AM
Jordy

I've tried many with failure. Which ones have you tried? Are you C or D? I assume a C since you mentioned Zelnorm.

It makes a big difference because the side effects often cause either C or D to worsen.

--------------------

Re: Me too new
      #289273 - 11/07/06 03:55 PM
mrsbunker

Quote:

I've tried many with failure. Which ones have you tried? Are you C or D? I assume a C since you mentioned Zelnorm.

It makes a big difference because the side effects often cause either C or D to worsen.

Yes, I have C.
The most recent ones I have tried are Cymbalta gave me a horrible Stomach ache. Effexor Stomach ache. This is just after taking one tablet. Now I'm going to try Lexapro again which I took 6 years ago & it made me ill then.
I had this same headache/chest pain(did not have IBS @ the time)6 yrs ago I had it for 2 years before I found any help & that was Celexa. I took Celexa for 1 year (best thing ever for me) but I broke out & stopped taking it. They then put me on Lexapro which gave me a Stomach ache. So went off entirely. Stayed well(headache/chest pain)for 3 years now I'm sick again & also have isommonia. I think I'm just about out of luck! I may have to try Celexa again because my Doc said people usually have reactions right away so it may have been something else that made me break out. Wish me luck tonight with the Lexapro! Do you have other health problems also or just IBS? The IBS alone is enough to make you depressed having other things is horrible!

--------------------
Judy

a question for msbunker new
      #289316 - 11/07/06 08:03 PM
Miso

with all of the meds you have tried how long did you try each one for?
because way too many people give up on certain meds thinking they do not agree with their bodies when they make them feel horrible in the first few weeks, almost all AD's make you feel terrible for the first week to a month before the side effects go away and the benefits show up, but many people think they are making them feel worse and gove up too early.

Re: a question for msbunker-MISO new
      #289409 - 11/08/06 05:56 PM
mrsbunker

Quote:

with all of the meds you have tried how long did you try each one for?
because way too many people give up on certain meds thinking they do not agree with their bodies when they make them feel horrible in the first few weeks, almost all AD's make you feel terrible for the first week to a month before the side effects go away and the benefits show up, but many people think they are making them feel worse and gove up too early.

Yes, I think your right! I only took 1 -2 tablets ea time. I started taking Lexapro last night(took Zelnorm an hour before)& didn't sleep most of the night because of the stomach pain. I will try to continue taking it pain or not. If I get rid of the head/chest pain it will be worth it! Hopefully the stomach pain will get better as I go. When I took Celexa I had no side effects at all.
If you don't mind me asking, have you had experience with uncomfortable side effects from ADs? If so how long did it take for you to feel better?

--------------------
Judy

#289419 - 11/08/06 08:30 PM
Miso

when i was younger i was on zoloft and i remember the first 2 weeks were realy weird, lots of nausea, insomnia, sweating, etc and then by week 3 i started feeling better all around, i was on that for 5 years with very little side effects, just some fatigue and a bit of sexual side effects, but it helped my stomach and anxiety immensely.
wellbutrin made me really anxious and edgy and gave me bad GERD, i took that for a year then finally gave up.I am now on lexapro and doing very well, anxiety is so much better controlled, stomach is calmer as a result, the first week i was nauseous and crampy, the second week less, by week 3 i was good to go. It is weird though because i am super sensitive to anything that i put in my body, yet AD's have always agreed with me very well compared to some people. Atomic rose had bad D and severe nausea for the first 2 weeks where she was on dramamine constantly. We are all different, you just have to ride it out, if by week 4 you are not starting to feel better and week 6 you are not on track then ask to switch meds, but you have to give it at least 2-3 weeks min.

#289479 - 11/09/06 10:07 AM
czukster

Make sure also to take AD's with food. I notice even now after being on Effexor for 2 months that if I don't take it with food it upsets my stomach.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1122 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16986

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review