All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Poll - anxiety/depression
      #277546 - 08/07/06 05:47 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

I am curious to know how many people with IBS have trouble with anxiety or depression or both. I am considering going on medication to get a better handle on my anxiety and occasional depression. I just wonder how many of us out there are stressing our guts with our anxiety or depression. In the search for total body wellness I think it's important to look at these issues and how they relate to IBS. If anyone would like to elaborate on particular medications or other strategies they have tried that would also be helpful as well. Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Poll - anxiety/depression new
      #277548 - 08/07/06 05:54 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I have had anxiety/emotional issues for years.. An emotionally abusive childhood i'm sure is the cause and the effect is the ibs.. I used to be a bit of a cutter in my teen years, replacing the emotional anxiety and pain with physical because it was easier to deal with..
Anyways, I hate taking pills, I don't like medicating the problem because it seems like it's just a band aid insted of actually dealing with the problem.. I have tried going to a therapist to get out alot of my issues.. It helped but it was a temporary fix.. I went to a hypnotherapist to deal with certain things, and again, that helped alot as well. But so far, the BEST thing I could have ever done, was the hypno cds.. They help deal with the anxiety in a safe and natural manner.. No side effects. By helping the anxiety, I don't get panic attacks anymore.. I don't get ill if I get freaked out by a thunderstorm... I don't even get freaked out by storms in the first place. Confrontation at the work place is no longer a problem... So yeah... Medication works for many people, but personally the hypno cds will end up being cheaper in the long run and are a great asset.. But again, those are just my personal thoughts and I hope I didn't offend anyone.... good luck...

#277558 - 08/07/06 07:24 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i have anxiety and minor ocd and mionor depression, i was on meds in the past then tried 2 years of all, and i mean all things natural, which all helped to some de gree but never enough, so after some consideration and lots of crying i am back on antidepressants, i am taking cipralex, the canadian name for lexapro and so far so good, getting a handle on things and th eonly side effect i have so far is poor sleep.
good luck in your quest as different htings work for different people, if you have any other questions about meds or natural ffel free to ask as i have experienced much myself but also work at a health food store, so i have all that info too.

#277570 - 08/08/06 01:18 AM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

I've had anxiety/panic attacks and depression for many years. Probably from sexual abuse as a child (not at the hand of either parent). But the anxiety and depression got really bad in my mid 20s. I have had one-on-one counseling, hypnotherapy, group therapy, and have taken several different medications. The medication and one-on-one therapy is what worked for me. I did well on Paxil and Prozac. I did not do well on Celexa, Lexapro (couldn't stay awake), and Zoloft (diarrhea). I am currently on Prozac and Xanax when needed. I've always wondered which comes first...the anxiety then the IBS symptoms. Or the IBS symptoms then the anxiety??

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

me new
      #277572 - 08/08/06 01:54 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

yep- OCD for me so anxiety is a part of my life unfortunatley but I try not to make it my life

I sure do new
      #277576 - 08/08/06 04:44 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My problem is definitely anxiety moreso than depression. I'm on 20mg Lexapro daily, which seems to keep it in check really well. Before that, I was seeing a therapist, which didn't really go very well at all, but I think that had more to do with the therapist - she wasn't very good.

I noticed a HUGE difference for the better IBS-wise when I started working on the anxiety problems. Anxiety is seriously THE worst non-food IBS trigger.

#277577 - 08/08/06 04:58 AM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

What perfect timing! I guess I suffer from anxiety. I haven't been on any medicine for it - mainly because it just started. Back in April when I first got IBS symptoms, but that just lasted a week or so, since then I've been doing fine. Then Saturday morning, I woke up with the nervous stomach and spent alot of time in the bathroom. I know my problem is anxiety/stress. I have twins who will be freshman this fall and school starts in 2 weeks. They have both started practices for soccer (2 a days, running a total of 5 miles) and volleyball, plus they will both be working their first job at our State Fair, which starts on Thursday. I'm involved in many organizations and it seems like everything is looming over me. I've called my Dr. and am waiting for his reply. Would the dicyclomine I was prescribed at the beginning help any? I'm handling things ok so far, but 2 more weeks of feeling like this is going to be hard. I'm glad I'm not the only one out here feeling like this.

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

Re: Oh yeah! new
      #277578 - 08/08/06 05:13 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I have OCD and Bipolar (just recently diagnosed) but was diagnosed with IBS in early 20's. I found Effexor made my IBS go away completely. Unfortunately, I'm not still on it.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: which came first? new
      #277616 - 08/08/06 09:04 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

Actually there is a theory out there that the aniexty came first. Now of course i'm not a dr. so I'm not totally sure if this is true but the theory being that the food allergies/triggers are merely a side effect of the anixety. Some people just have a more sensitive stomach to these kinds of thing, and if a person could live a totally stress free life, then ibs wouldn't even really exsist. Of course the only way to do that is by a frontal labotomey but hey, it's an interesting view.

Re: Oh yeah! And to HanSolo new
      #277618 - 08/08/06 09:13 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I am not sure how anyone with IBS cannot have anxiety and depression, it makes me both, when I'm not already there. I have been on Prozac in the past with good and bad results, have not tried anything else. I have an OCPD (obsssive compulsive personality disorder), I just don't understand how people can acutally live without anxiety or depression. When I get an attack, I become very depressed, when I'm about to have one, I'm very anxious, wondering how long it's going to last, it's a never ending cycle. Hans, how come you aren't on the effexor anymore, if I can ask, it would be worth a try if it would make me stable.

LtDan Fan

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 953 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16985

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review