All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Mornings worse?
      #277475 - 08/07/06 10:37 AM
chica77

Reged: 07/25/06

Hi there,
I find that mornings are the worst part of the day. Like clockwork around 7am I need to have a BM. This can alternate from loose stools to harder ones, but it continues for hours where I feel I need to go and sometimes can't and sometimes it turns into diarrea....about mid day it ususally stabilizes and then by night time I feel bloated and constipated and then the cycle begins again in the morning...anybody have these symptoms? Any suggestions as to how to improve this?

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mornings worse? new
      #277478 - 08/07/06 10:52 AM
sophiejay

Reged: 07/26/06
Loc: England

well i do get that feeling of needing to go even after i've been it doesn't feel complete and i have to have a bm in the morning before i can do anything else. But ever since starting heathers diet i cut out dairy and its slowly improving and it just leaves me less bloated and annoyed. What is your diet like? maybe your eating a trigger food hope this was helpfullxxxx

#277482 - 08/07/06 11:01 AM
chica77

Well, I have not taken my fiber supplements lately, so I need to start doing that again. Last night I had some pasta with some marinara sauce and some coffee cake....felt okay last night...but I do try to stick with Heather's diet...no dairy, alcohol or caffeine anymore, but not sure what else to do..I usually eat a plain bagel in the morning, than a turkey sandwich for lunch and then maybe some chicken with bread and some carrots for dinner......so not sure...maybe it is the lack of the fiber supplements...usually feel ok during the day but the morning is always feeling like I never went enough..any suggestions?

#277484 - 08/07/06 11:12 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

It sounds like you're hardly getting any IF. SF helps keeps things calm, but you definitely need plenty of IF to keep things moving. And drink plenty of water.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#277485 - 08/07/06 11:14 AM
sophiejay

well what usually works for me unless i'm having a flare up is i eat about say twelve times a day, thats not twelve items of food but the amount of times i put something in my mouth chew and swallow and then stop eating. I found that if i eat around the same amount of times each day my bowles worked like clock work! I'm not sure if this is just my bodies way of working but thats how i try to make sure i am regular. Also maybe taking some of heathers tummy fibre might work well. I havnt enough money to get some yet but i'm saving up for some prehaps you could give that a try and let me know how it goes. Also if i feel like its not all out, i do a little light exercise, i know thats the last thing u want to do when you feel bloated, but i literally just walk up and down my stairs and that helps too. Hope this was helpfull for you get better soonxxx

#277486 - 08/07/06 11:16 AM
sophiejay

just wondering when u can start incorporating IF into your diet after you start.

#277490 - 08/07/06 11:25 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

It depends on your symptoms. I'm IBS-C, so IF is very important. Most of my diet is IF now. It wasn't always that way, but I never eliminated it completely. I would say don't go more than a few days without it if you're C. And it's all trial and error. Try one thing at a time. If you do ok, then try adding a little more. Your body will let you know if it's unhappy. I also take about 20 g of SFS each day. That probably makes up for me not eating a ton of SF to cushion my IF. I have some before or with every meal. And some IF is easier to handle than others. Try things that have both SF and IF first. I eat carrots every day. They are my staple...some IF, but still easy on the tummy. I microwave them so that they are soft. I'd say start with cooked veggies, then expand from there.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#277491 - 08/07/06 11:28 AM
chica77

Thanks for the info. I believe I am IBS-A. I alternate from constipated to diarrhea..so I will try to increase my IF and see how that goes as well as take the SF supplements.

#277492 - 08/07/06 11:34 AM
sophiejay

well latley i've been having bm but then stil needing to go in small amounts through out the day, then i cut out dairy and have been going more and its more bulky, but still sometimes get the needing to gos till. I usually eat honey corn flakes for breakfast(dry) then for lunch its uasually low fat corn crackers or gluten free toast then rice cakes for snacks and cereal for dinner. I used to have a bran bar before bed thats made with oats wheat bran and honey and puffed rice and it usually gives me loose stools depending on how much i eat but i stoped eating eat because i thought it might not be doing me any good. Do you think its wise to maybe go back to eating a small amount?thanksxxx

Re: Mornings worse? for sophiejay new
      #277552 - 08/07/06 05:58 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

where are all the protein and veggies in your diet, all you listed was grains, just want to make sure you are eating healthy.

Re: Mornings worse? for sophiejay new
      #277626 - 08/08/06 09:43 AM
sophiejay

hey I do have chicken just the breast usually in soup but i usually make my own chicken soups so i k now exactly whats in it and i sometimes have peanut butter (lowfat) on my rice cakesxxx

#277632 - 08/08/06 10:09 AM
whoopiecushion

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: South Carolina

Wow, that is exactly me. I wake up everymorning with stomach pain, It takes me 3 hours every morning to get out of the house. I have to use to bathroom a minimum of 3 times and my stools are just like you say, some soft, some pieces, then soft, some ribbon like, all morning. Then sometimes when I get to work, I still have to go suddenly again. But after it is all out, the afternoons start getting better, then as the night goes on I start to bloat up and have gas problems and I go to bed everynight with a stomach ache. Then it is back to the same thing again in the morning. I don't have bouts of IBS, every single day is exactly as I have written above. This has gone on for 20 years. I can't find a solution, even on this diet, the pattern is still the same, the bowel consistancy is still the same, the only difference is it is not as explosive on the diet. Good luck.

#277635 - 08/08/06 10:19 AM
chica77

Wow. Atleast I don't get the explosive episodes as much on the diet, but the cycle does seem to be the same every morning. It is annoying. So have you tried different things, like supplemets, etc? And nothing has helped?

#277651 - 08/08/06 12:40 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

My mornings are also the worst time of day for me. I usually wake up with abdominal pain and feeling overly bloated. It doesn't help when I have to get up early, though!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#277661 - 08/08/06 01:33 PM
neves4

Reged: 04/30/06
Loc: Redding, CA

Ok that is so me...i'll have to read what people said to you. It's awful in the morning isn't it? I am getting tired of feeling like all day I have to go. Now, I have been told it's usually what we ate the night before. I have noticed there is a pattern with that.

#277662 - 08/08/06 01:38 PM
chica77

Hi,

I try to stick to the diet, so not sure what I would have eaten the night before to cause it. Yes, it is annoying to feel like I have to go all day. The one good thing is that when I go in the morning I atleast am not worried about becoming constipated. Usually aroud 11am I feel better and then do not have to go again until the next morning and no more explosive D unless I eat a trigger food. So that is the only good thing, but wonder if anything you have tried has made it better....

#277664 - 08/08/06 01:57 PM
neves4

I know the tummy fiber (acacia) works and I stick to the probiotics and notice if I take after an episode each day, it helps some. I also notice as long as I make sure and not eat anything close to bed time helps too-no junk food, nothing! Since changing my diet, it has helped for sure.

#277666 - 08/08/06 02:26 PM
chica77

Which probiotics do you take and how often, when do you take them?
Also, you say it helps. Does this mean that how often you had to go in the morning is reduced? Thanks!

Re: Mornings worse? or middle of the night? new
      #277667 - 08/08/06 02:28 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

Does anyone have (in addition to the morning problem) episodes of getting up several times in the middle of the night with gas or bloating? I am so tired and worn out anyway, and now this new thing of getting up 3-4 times during the night is really awful!

Mornings are still worst, though!

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

#279087 - 08/19/06 10:08 PM
neves4

I am so sorry I haven't responded until now-August just flew by and I have been very busy. I use a probiotic called IFlora (that's on the bottle anyways), it's always refrigerated and you can get it at health food stores. It doesn't stop my morning bouts right away but I notice if I keep up on it daily like 2 x's a day, for me anyways, it gets better and I even feel better (in my gut that is).

YES Mornings are worse!! new
      #279095 - 08/19/06 11:05 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Hey guys!
When i was going through my major obsession with IBS, and with tons of anxiety, my mornings were always worse! And they still are... I just ignore it a little more then I did then.
In any case, just to look at it from a different perspective... I had an accupuncturist who I would talk to about IBS. And he said that going to the bathroom a lot in the morning is called "Cock's Crow Diahreah." Basically it's D that comes in the morning, and it is caused by anxiety. So that's how they see it in Chinese medicine.
Also, in Aruyveda (Indian Medicine), IBS-A is known as "variable digestion." I'm not sure if Cocks Crow D and Variable Digestion are online, but you may want to look into both of them and see what suggestions these modes of healing offer. I think they are pretty similiar to those offered on this website, however with a different spin and a different way at looking at the body/mind.
One thing I remember from these two modes of healing is how important it is to have a regular schedule in terms of eating, sleeping and lifestyle. Eat small frequent meals that are COOKED. That part is very important. I think mostly for D's....
Also, in Chinese medicine, I am always told that I have "dampness" in my body. Which is what causes D, bloating, naseua, etc...
I enjoy different ways of looking at the body and trying HARD not to freak out about it like I have my whole life. Because now I realize that freaking out is so much of what causes it, for me. And this is exemplyfied in my accupuncturists definition of Cock's Crow D...
Just thought I'd put in my two cents!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1706 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3901

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review