All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: lisa iam on the board now thinking of ordering it too new
      #277829 - 08/10/06 06:38 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Well, as I said, you can overanalyze all you want, but it still works. I can say from my skeptical astronomer viewpoint that no wacky doctrines were imparted to me at any point - it was some very gentle visualizing. If I could go back to two years ago when I started hypno, I would tell myself that I can listen and think, but there's no secret message I need to ferret out of it. Oh, and drifting off a bit is rather enjoyable.

--AC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

astro chick did the tapes help your ibs new
      #277839 - 08/10/06 07:46 AM
sapphiremel

Reged: 05/15/06
Loc: New York

Thanks for the post on the hypo tapes I just ordered mine but besides from the relaxation part did it help your ibs at all, did you have fears of going out, traveling etc. if so did it take the edge off of that, that is what I am hoping i get out of this the most.

--------------------
IBS D

Re: astro chick did the tapes help your ibs new
      #277857 - 08/10/06 09:05 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

It helped me a lot, but in a more slow and subtle way than Heather's diet. (I was walking to the train about 2 days after starting fiber + Heather's diet and I realized that for the first time in my life, my belly wasn't rumbling. This was such a revelation - I didn't even realize how miserable I was feeling until it stopped!)

About a month or so after I finished the program, my husband and I were heading to the grocery store. I started feeling a little rumbly and sick, and then I thought "I shouldn't be tensing up. I should just relax a bit. And we can always go home if I'm really having an attack." I *never* would have had those thoughts pre-hypno! I relaxed a bit, I felt better in 5 minutes, I never had an attack that day. And, in general, I have fewer attacks now even under stress, and those I do have are an hour or two of feeling punky rather than a half-day of misery followed by a week of feeling out of it.

It reduced my fears of going out, too. Now, the only times I don't want to go out and travel are because that's the way I feel (being a big ol' introvert) and not because I think my body is going to misbehave on me.

--AC (IBS-C, with stress-related D attacks on occasion)

thanks astro chick new
      #277884 - 08/10/06 10:24 AM
sapphiremel

Reged: 05/15/06
Loc: New York

I am excited to start the hypo the diet I've been on and the fiber I have been on for at least 3 months now but I am still having problems still not sure of my trigger foods yet but learning alot from this board still have alot of learning when it comes to the diet but trying very hard I not sure if I need more fiber I have been doing 6 gms total.
Hope the hypo tapes make a difference can't wait thanks

--------------------
IBS D

Re: Aww... hang in there.... new
      #278425 - 08/15/06 01:37 PM
funmom

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: California

Okay, I feel like a goof, cuz I'm replying to A BUNCH of posts...looking for help! And unless you guys physically come to my house and work,etc. and hold my hand through the pain, I don't know what any of you can do. Anyways, this past week has been awful - only one severe blinding pain attack but just overall feeling awful, not eating, and mostly just the impending doom, dread and fear of another attack. I have the peppermint tea, caps, Acacia powder (just started) and diet book. I am doing all I know (and have learned) to do!!! I just feel completely despondent and hopeless. I'm only 36 and have a hubby and 4 beautiful children but I really feel like it's all pointless right now - I feel like my whole life is over and I am on the verge of wanting to quit work (I've been here 11 yrs) and not go on any trips with my family or even leave the house. When I calm down and look back at my life over the past 10 or so years (when the attacks first started) I see that for the most part the past 10 yrs have been attack free (just a couple of blinding pain attacks and the occasional "I should NOT have eaten that" feeling in my tummy) but now that it's happening again, I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Which would be soooo awful for my family. Part of me tells myself that "this too shall pass" and that life will get back to normal but the other part of me wants to give up. Please help anybody.

Sounds like anxiety to me... new
      #278438 - 08/15/06 02:40 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Have you tried anti-depressants? What do you do for stress management? Exercise? Have you given any thought to trying the hynosis CDs? Was there some sort of stressful or traumatic event that triggered this recent series of attacks you've been having?

Sorry to answer your questions with more questions...

--Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Sounds like anxiety to me... new
      #278439 - 08/15/06 02:50 PM
funmom

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: California

I started taking Wellbutrin XL 3 wks ago. I thought maybe that was causing the recent IBS attack but my dr said it would have happened within 48 hrs of starting it. I usually exercise daily but really haven't for a few weeks. I'm a school office manager and the beginning of the year is ALWAYS stressful. I feel like I need to just "plow through" this and start doing all my normal activities regardless of how I feel but there is this HUGE cloud of fear of another attack and fear of having to change my whole life. I'm just feeling like giving up.

Re: Sounds like anxiety to me... new
      #278443 - 08/15/06 03:46 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Believe it or not, I DO know exactly how you feel. I wish I could count the number of times I have cried in frustration over my IBS, or not wanted to socialize or go to a restaurant! It just sounds to me like stress is a HUGE trigger for you (as it is for me), and perhaps you should speak with someone (therapist, counselor) about ways to manage stress. In fact, I have my first appointment with a counselor tomorrow afternoon, and stress management is probably the main topic we'll cover.

Give the Wellbutrin time to work; If you don't start to feel better after 6-8 weeks, you probably need a different AD. That is exactly why I recently switched from Prozac to Effexor.

Try adding some light exercise into your day; even if it's only a 10-15 minute walk. Anything is better than nothing.

And yes, you ARE changing some huge things in your life. There's obviously going to be a period of depression as you adjust to your new diet. I know it seems complicated at first, but you will get used to it. I spent my first few weeks eating very basic ingredients: protein and cooked plain veggies. Don't worry about making huge complicated meals just yet.

Hang in there; I know you're frustrated, but the frustration you're feeling is only adding to your problems! I seriously hope you'll consider looking into stress management.

Good Luck!
--Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

wellbutrin probably not the best option of ad's new
      #278447 - 08/15/06 04:00 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I took zoloft for years and it helped my anxiety and ibs quite well, the i tried wellbutrin to see if it was just as effective with less of the fairly minimal side effects i had with the zoloft, well it made me anxious and my stomach slowly but surely went to hell.
The i tried one year of all natural methods and went even further to hell in the stomach department, wound up basically vegan and went down to 100 pounds at 5'5", not good, i am skinny, cold and tired. so i have finally decided to give the AD's another chance, so now on lexapro and in only 3 weeks i am slowly starting to feel much better, my stomach has been manageable for months now as a result of diet and supplements, but the anxiety and ocd about what, how, when, how much, etc i ate was insane to the point where i didn't recognize myself anymore. AD's are just the right thing for me and i am now back on the road to health. I even went out to a restaurant and had baked fish a few nights ago, which was a big step for me. I would try an ssri if the wellbutrin doesn't pan out, and it probably won't as it tends to cause anxiety in a lot of people, but if it does work for you then its great as it has the least amount of side effects. good luck

Re: am I over reacting new
      #278466 - 08/15/06 05:36 PM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

Barbie,
Exactly what kind of med is this? Anti-spasmodic? Anti-anxiety? If you know, I would appreciate the info. Thanks, Amy.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1729 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6825

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review