All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
am I over reacting
      #277386 - 08/06/06 05:03 PM
sapphiremel

Reged: 05/15/06
Loc: New York

I'v try the diet the best that I can, I will also stick to it but, earlier I wrote because I was very down. I have a nervous stomach and even with diet things that bother me make my stomach turn and I find myself with D. I have given it long thought today and as much as i don't like take medications I am seriously thinking about asking my doctor about librax. I know I should be given this diet more time but I feel like I am in a despression and I haven't felt this way before. maybe I am trying so hard and not accomplishing what I want, maybe I am expecting things to be too fast, but I want to start enjoying myself and I am considering taking medication for the first time I feel I need something more right now.do you think i am reacting too quickly for a fast solution or maybe this can help for the time being until i can get stable.

--------------------
IBS D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: am I over reacting new
      #277394 - 08/06/06 05:59 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not familiar enough with Librax to offer my opinion on it specifically, but ya know, there's no shame in needing to use something to help you along. Everyone's different - some people can stabilize without medication of any kind, others need the help. Personally, I used Imodium (over-the-counter) on my bad days, and I can't imagine having NOT used it - some days it made a huge difference.

The diet works, but you have to be patient and stick with it for the rest of your life. It's not a quick fix, but it's lasting relief.

thanks atomic rose new
      #277443 - 08/07/06 06:52 AM
sapphiremel

you always have good advice when i write, I will stick to the diet, and I have been using immodium for years, but my problem is aniexty and maybe some people don't let the fear get in there way I do. Iam tired now I am letting life pass me by and I feel I need something to do that. Maybe the Hypo tapes or medications not sure yet but I can't get the fear of doing things out of my mind. I work myself up that maybe nothing is going to happen but I have those thoughts in the back of my mind. I won't even out to dinner. The sad thing is that I read so many other people who are so much worse than I am and are doing better than me. I have D without pain but the fear of going to the bathroom in public places scares me. Thats why I feel it's just more than that , it so much aniexty built up in me that now I am feeling depressed about it. I think the diet is helping but I do have bad days and don't know what iam doing. I know I have to have patience with this I am trying thanks for always answering my post you have always given me a ton of info.

--------------------
IBS D

#277456 - 08/07/06 08:33 AM
MaryP

Reged: 10/13/04

Hi, I also have a very touching stomach. I have been trying the diet for over a year. Finally about one month ago, I went to the dr. and started Zoloft. This has made a big differnce for me. I also suffer from anxiety. I still eat very carefully and limited to just soluble foods with a small amount of IF foods (I tend to constitpation.) I found one thing I was previously doing incorrectly was eating brown rice for my fiber. However brown rice is insoluble, so now I mix it with white rice, and is much better. I also don't have a problem with fish so I eat that as well. But I am feeling better and my bowel movements are getting better. I'm also gluten intolerent and have a bladder condition that I can't eat fruit and soy. But even with a limited diet, at least I'm starting to feel better.
Best of luck.

Re: thanks atomic rose new
      #277460 - 08/07/06 09:09 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I feel like so many people that write to these boards have symptoms that are much worse than mine, but yet I'm still frustrated and I'm also battling with depression and anxiety. And I think those two things are HUGE road blocks to becoming stable. I recently started working with a therapist, I'm going to order the hyno CDs this week, and I've been on Prozac for about six weeks. I think I spend more time worrying that I might have an attack than I do actually having them. So I think you and I are in the same boat; if we can get this anxiety/depression thing under control, and learn how to manage stress, the diet will work even better. And if it means using some antidepressants (short term) to do all of that, then I think it's worth it.

Good luck!
Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: thanks lisa marie new
      #277466 - 08/07/06 09:28 AM
sapphiremel

your right i am letting this take control so maybe i will consider medication short term i just don't want to depend on it long term. I was thinking about the tapes also, they sound like so many are having good responses. let me know it you order how u are doing, and if I decide to order them i will post how I did on them.

--------------------
IBS D

#277538 - 08/07/06 05:09 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

I have been doing the IBS diet for about 8 months and have also reached a stage where I am considering going on anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medication. It seems that even if I do all the right things as far as my food is concerned my nervousness/anxiousness continues to reek havoc on my bowels. And I was raised to believe that you shouldn't go on mood altering medication unless you've tried everything else. So I understand where you are because I'm truly in a similar place. Kudos to you for looking at your health in a way that takes into account not just your physical health but your mental/emotional health as well. They may not know exactly how depression/anxiety are tied to IBS but I don't doubt the link - not all at. Best of luck.

#277541 - 08/07/06 05:28 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I'm sorry you are having a tough time. I am on Librax and have been for several years. It really helps relax me and my tummy, too. You take one 30 minutes before each meal and one at bedtime if needed. I started taking 3 a day and am down to 1 a day now.

I guess you could call my stomach nervous, too, and Librax has really helped me. Of course, you still need to eat safe and probably will still need some Imodium periodically.

The only problem with Librax is that it can be addictive in some people. My doc said it was fine as long as it was helping me and I have gone from 3 pills a day to 1 with no problem at all.

Talk to your doctor about it.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#277547 - 08/07/06 05:47 PM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

Hi, I'm glad someone else has used Imodium. I don't know what I would have done without it some days. The only thing is, I have to be careful and eat a small amount of unprocessed bran with my oatmeal every night to keep me regular. So far that is the only thing that works for me. Do you get constipated with the Imodium? I do if I'm not very careful.

Marilla

Aww... hang in there.... new
      #277560 - 08/07/06 08:18 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know it seems like an eternity when you're trying to get your guts to calm down, and I totally remember feeling like I didn't know what I was doing... but everything will fall into place... just keep believing that, because it really *does* help to stay as optimistic as you can about things.

Definitely address the anxiety issue. I had/have HUGE problems with anxiety, and they can make your IBS a thousand times worse than it already is. Do try the hypno tapes if you can - so many people have had success with them. A therapist could also help, as can yoga, exercise, and meditation. Medications are an option, but by no means are they the only one.

The fear will go away. Promise. It takes a while, but little by little, as you work on the anxiety problems and keep eating well, you'll find yourself getting more confident again and less afraid to do things. And don't compare yourself to anyone else, sicker than you or not - IBS is such an individual thing, there's just no point in comparing, especially if it just brings you further down.

I'm glad I could help a little. Hang in there, and keep posting - all of us "old timers" know all about the bad, hopeless days!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1811 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6747

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review