All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Amanda... new
      #279568 - 08/22/06 06:35 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Lisa,

My understanding is that Effexor is different from other ADs in that is characterized as an SNRI (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) rather than a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Effexor works on two different brain chemicals, serotonin and norepinephrine. I'm not a doctor, so I am not altogether sure what that means

I didn't realize you were only on the medication for two weeks. I thought since your sleeping problems were going on for a month that you had been on the meds for a month and were attributing the insonmnia to that. You have to give Effexor time. It takes about 6-8 weeks for it to really make a noticable difference. I wouldn't jump the gun as of yet and say conclusively that it is not the right AD for you until you have waited it out a while longer. It may take a longer amount of time for you to feel better depending on how severe your anxiety was to begin with.

One of the common listed side effects of the medication is constipation, which is no good for a C-er I know. I got a bit constipated (and I'm predominantly a D) when I began it. If I remember correctly, the constipation went away after a few weeks. Just up your IF intake if you can tolerate it. That seemed to help me tremendously.

I really think that if you are concerned, though, you need to talk to your prescribing doctor. That is what s/he is there for and s/he can definitely give you better answers than I can as to what you need to do with your treatment.

Oh and the meds to help you sleep, I meant on a short term basis. I didn't take sleep aids very long as my sleeplessness from the medication only lasted about a week. If yours was occurring prior to going on Effexor, it probably is not due to the medication. Perhaps it's due to the anxiety, which hopefully you can get under control with the medication. Definitely tell your doctor about it.

I hope I didn't miss anything. Let me know if you want to talk more about the meds! I am happy share my experiences with it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#279602 - 08/23/06 07:55 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for all your info! My sleeping problems started when I was on the Prozac, which I took for 6 weeks before weaning off of that and starting the Effexor. I know I am being impatient - it's one of my (many) flaws! I am definitely going to stick with it. I'm just tired of being tired, ya know??

I'm also a bit leery of sleeping meds because I don't know that I'd be able to get the full eight hours that they tell you you need. I typically get between 7 and 7.5 hours of sleep, not including my waking up in the middle of the night. There just are not enough hours in the day!! I am going to wait it out another week or so and see if anything changes. For the first time in almost two weeks, I actually had BMs two days in a row - progress!

Thanks for the encouragement! I REALLY appreciate it!!! (Everyone needs a little kick in the butt sometimes!)

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

i was going to mention effexor to my doc... new
      #279644 - 08/23/06 12:09 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

...but I have enough problems with constipation already.

I'm on Prozac now, and also finding that it interfers with sleeping. And gives me nightmares....but I can't "stomach" anything else I've tried so far.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: i was going to mention effexor to my doc... new
      #279650 - 08/23/06 12:46 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Has anyone in your family been on ADs before? Typically family members will respond similarly to the same drugs, which is why I started Effexor. My mom and cousin both had great luck with it. But don't let the initial temporary side effects scare you away - you may have a completely different reaction!

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#279660 - 08/23/06 01:57 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Hmmm, well maybe your sleep problems are due to ADs. Talk to your doc. I know that sleep problems can be a problem with ADs, how severe and how long they can last is something you should talk to your doc about. I bet you're just worn out from the sleep problems.

I typically only get 7 to 7.5 hours a night, too. I didn't take a sleep medicine like Ambien. I took a small dose of Xanax which was enough to relax me and lull me to sleep. You can even take one Nyquil or Benadryl which I do sometimes when I get menstrual insomnia.

Glad that you're having regular BMs too~ Yay

Re: i was going to mention effexor to my doc... new
      #279694 - 08/23/06 06:34 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Nobody else in family is on one...that I know of...not that they couldn't use it!

Oh, grandma is on Paxil...but that one was too wicked for me!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1510 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6630

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review