All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
maybe bread is an issue?
      #276305 - 07/30/06 11:42 AM
JustMe

Reged: 06/29/06
Loc: NY

ok.. so i've posted many times.. and i'm sure you don't all want to hear about my issues.. but i am just so frustrated.. in a nutshell.. i used to get D daily.. around age 14 i went to a GI and was told i have IBS.. i had a couple of tests done blood, stool, and the one where you swallow the white liquid and they xray it going through your sistem.. according to those tests there was nothing wrong with me.. i did not have any other tests.. no test for lactose intolerance or a colonoscopy.. now i am thinking maybe those would have been a good idea.. now and for the past 2 years.. the D has decreased from daily to once or twice a week.. and sometimes i am fine.. mostly the urgency is no longer an issue.. the problem now is extreme gas and bloating.. but mostly gas.. occassionally some pain.. but not usually.. i went to another GI about a year ago and was told oh i don't know.. observe what you are eating and come back.. hello!! i have been trying to figure it out for the past pretty much half of my life.. why all of the sudden would it be clear.. as much as i'd love to make trips to and from the dr i do not have health insurance and my patience is wearing thin.. i ordered the ibs kit.. tea, pills and the book.. i am following the diet.. there have been no changes.. i have cut out dairy.. all high fat foods.. whole grains.. etc.. even soy because someone mentioned it could be causing a problem (that is hard to cut out.. i was a vegetarian for 3 and a half years up until very recently and soy was a big part of my diet).. i also take beano and another digestive enzyme with every meal.. i eat french bread galore.. white rice.. steams or grilled chicken.. all "safe foods" a.. nothing is helping! i figure if i am going to get gas anyway why not eat like a normal person?? does anyone have an idea what the problem may be? i should go back to another GI.. but i am so sick of being slammed with huge bills for just a visit only to have them tell me to come back in a couple of weeks.. what are the tests i should absolutely have done? also.. any i could have done at the same time? i have a blood injury phobia.. and blood tests = me passing out.. can any of them be done by a general doctor? my uncle is a doctor and will not overcharge me..
any diet you can recommend to determine if im having problems with certain foods? i think it might have to do with bread? maybe celiac?

please please please help..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: maybe bread is an issue? new
      #276311 - 07/30/06 01:11 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I have read (someone please correct if wrong) that rice is the only starch that cannot cause gas. Maybe if you make that your main SF for a while and see what happens? If you see a good change (I'd give it a bit), then you can slowly add others back in and see what happens? So you don't get too bored while trying it, it means you could have rice, puffed rice, rice cakes, rice noodles. There are quite a few products out there. Just thought this was a possible idea for you.

Have you been tested for celiacs? *nt new
      #276326 - 07/30/06 02:27 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#276332 - 07/30/06 03:03 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Well, you are asking for recommendations about any foods that may still bea causing you problems. For me, I get MEGA problems if I eat any bread with yeast. You said you LOVE french bread...me too! However, I can eat yeast free bread until the cows come home, and it will not bother me. I'll bet if you avoid all yeast products (check all labels as yeast extract is in a LOT of food such as canned soups, crackers, sauces) as well as refined sugar and any processed food, along with avoiding grains, for 2 weeks, you will feel significantly better. It sounds like you tried all other diets and still can't come up with the culprit. I had IBS for 8 years before I figured out I had a yeast overgrowth and all the bread, yeast, sugar, dairy products I was eating was only making the problem worse. All the drugs the doctor gave me made it worse or did nothing. Along with olive leaf extract or caprylic acid (antifungals) I got well again, no drugs now. The diet I followed is similar to the "Break the vicious cyle" diet I've seen talked about on this site, but I also don't eat any yeast, cheese, peanuts or mushrooms as they are molds/fungals and it will contribute to the yeast problem. Anyway, hope this helps. It sure did for me when I tried everything else. Take care,
Kim

Best,
Kim

#276344 - 07/30/06 06:01 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Processed things. You know, tonight I ate out and had the same kind of thing I would have had at home. Some white bread, no butter, a very small salad and a piece of chicken grilled. Nothing that would bother me if I made it. I thought no problem. 20 minutes later grumbly gas galore. I can just bet the lettuce was treated or something was used on the chicken or it was the kind of chicken breast (I only get that smart chicken that has no phosphates or anything). I swear, additives are my biggest trigger.

#276349 - 07/30/06 06:48 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Two things come to mind right away. First is that you should have more tests - a colonoscopy and getting tested for celiac/gluten intolerance is definitely in order.

Second is that, depending on how long you've been doing the diet, you might just still not have given it enough time. I seriously didn't see noticeable improvement for MONTHS - maybe in the range of 4-6 months - and I didn't stabilize for over a year, and that experience isn't unusual. This isn't a quick fix... it's a lifelong management strategy.

But I do still think that you need a few more tests - and celiac is a definite.

#276350 - 07/30/06 06:51 PM
JustMe

how did you figure out it was the yeast? just by randomly trying yeast free food?

#276367 - 07/30/06 08:19 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

JustMe,
I really don't want to offend or confuse anyone on this site by telling any more about how I got well. If you think it's something you are interested in learning more about, you can check my profile and email me. I will say,I did come upon some research that intrigued me to try something different (I was so sick of taking drugs and feeling miserable all the time). I skeptically, (but hoping against hope)followed the doctors suggestions to see if my symptoms improved, and bang!...started feeling better almost immediately. I knew I was onto something so I continued long enough to finally get well, all without drugs.(Guess there are some doctors who know what they're talking about after all :-) Since then...5 years ago,I've encountered others who had similar experiences. And, it is all normal, everyday food you buy at a grocery store. You just have to know what to avoid, one of them being yeast. It would be interesting to see how it would work for you. Wishing you well.
Kim:-)

#276516 - 07/31/06 07:33 PM
JustMe

I am just sooo frustrated so I decided to eat normally today.. although I still took peppermint, beano, digestive advantage gas, and a digestive aid enzyme ....same results as when I follow heathers diet... grrr

breakfast:
grapenuts trail mix cereal with soy milk and a clementine
lunch:
reheated my udon and chicken from last night
dinner:
whiterice, steamed chicken, and some chiken i cooked in tomato sauce

same amount of gas as if i'd eaten according to the diet..

check out the ingredients in your cereal new
      #276526 - 07/31/06 07:58 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Many of the following ingredients are not a good idea for you...primarily the wheat bran and the whey.
Try to find a more simple cereal with less junk in it. I use a rice, millet, oat cereal from the healthfood store by natures path or any rice or corn based cereal is good too.

Ingredients: WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, RAISINS, WHEAT BRAN, WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, BROWN SUGAR, ALMONDS, VEGETABLE OIL (CANOLA OR SUNFLOWER OIL), SALT, RICE FLOUR, HONEY, GLYCERIN, RICE, CORN SYRUP, MALTED CORN AND BARLEY SYRUP, WHEY (FROM MILK), PRUNE JUICE CONCENTRATE, DRIED YEAST, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, BHT ADDED TO PACKAGING MATERIAL TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS. VITAMINS & MINERALS: REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, ZINC OXIDE (SOURCE OF ZINC), VITAMIN B6, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D.

#276544 - 08/01/06 02:18 AM
cjh

Reged: 01/27/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Kim,
How did you figure out you had a yeast overgrowth in your digestive tract? Are there tests for that? I was told by my OB/GYN a few months ago that I had a little yeast problem 'down there', but had no symptoms; haven't since. But I was wondering if maybe it was due to a yeast overgrowth in my digestive tract since I haven't had antibiotics for well over a year or anything else that could cause it 'down there'. How did you know? I have an excessive amount of gas all the time - also a 'lazy' gallbladder. Can you help?

--------------------
I AM WOMAN. I AM INVICIBLE. I'M TIRED.

#276752 - 08/02/06 12:59 PM
JustMe

today i have had:

breakfast: 3 beano, 1 peppermint pill, 2 dig advantage gas, 2 digestive aid enzyme
rice chex and vanilla soy milk

lunch: 3 beano, 1 peppermint, 2 digestive aid enzyme
white rice - i didn't eat anything with it..other than a clementine shortly after - i have more rice and chicken in the fridge for when i get hungry again

so far.. all is good.. and i am not gassy... i did have D this morning.. possibly from what I ate last night?

Re: Have you been tested for celiacs? *nt new
      #276753 - 08/02/06 01:02 PM
JustMe

no

#276786 - 08/02/06 05:22 PM
JJBean

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Buffalo, NY

I know that when I eat something bad, it usually doesn't cause a problem for 1-2 days. While I have IBS-D, it still takes things a while to cause me problems. So I'd stick to safe food for now. When I have something bad and I'm not stable (which thankfully I'm starting to be!), it will set me back for literally WEEKS.

I wondered about a fiber supplement. Are you taking one? When I started acacia, I had horrible gas and bloating. It didn't stop until I had been at a stable dose for a few weeks with no increasing. Could it be that?

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

#276791 - 08/02/06 06:06 PM
JustMe

no.. no fiber supps.. i've had the gas and bloating for 2 years now!

#276800 - 08/02/06 07:18 PM
JustMe

well.. i spoke too soon...

i ate a dinner of white rice and grilled teryake(sp?) chicken and now i am gassy and am having pains..

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1064 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2711

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review