All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Getting fat?
      #276191 - 07/29/06 08:45 AM
Darlene54

Reged: 07/15/05
Loc: Ohio,USA

I have been gaining unwanted weight for the last 4 months or so. I really can't figure out how since I really stick to Heathers eating plan. Has this happened to anyone else? I need some help! Thanks

--------------------
Darlene

IBS-C, suffers from pelvic floor dysfunction.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Getting fat? new
      #276192 - 07/29/06 09:42 AM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

This has happenend to me on this diet unfortunately. Prior to finding these boards I ate LOADs of fresh, raw fruits & veggies everyday, and only high fiber grains. I was in agony however. By nature this diet is higher in sugar and refined carbs, so I too gained weight, but I feel better. It isn't much consolation always having to trade one thing for the other.

#276194 - 07/29/06 10:14 AM
Darlene54

Thanks for responding, but I do not want to settle for gaining weight! I guess I am hoping that someone out there found a way to lose the weight. Does counting calories help? I am so confused because of the way we eat (following Heathers advice). Does anyone have anymore suggestions?

--------------------
Darlene

Do you do regular cardio? *nt new
      #276195 - 07/29/06 11:04 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#276197 - 07/29/06 11:07 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

I think that this is a common problem with people who sometimes take the diet a little *too far*. I know that's what I did. I restricted all my diet to basically simple carbs and at first, I lost weight.. but then it started to come back, and moreso.
I think it is important to make sure that you are not abandoning other healthy eating tips while keeping your tummy happy.
Do you have either of the books with recipes in them? You'll notice that most of them incorporate a lot of vegetables as well as some insoluble fiber and things that lend themselves more easily to a balanced diet.
Another thing is of course portion control. Eat more, smaller meals throughout the day and that will help increase your metabolism as well as keeping tummy happy.
The other thing is still getting in your carbs, but in a way that also contributes more to weight loss. Like, for example, rather than always having plain white bread as your "safe" food, try half a sweet potato or yams. They are still a good safe food for your tummy, but also rich in vitamins and nutrients. For breakfast, try eating oatmeal/oat bran as this is again fiber for tummy but will also make you feel fuller longer so you won't be craving food right after you eat.
Experimenting with which vegetables and fruit you can handle too is a good one of finding foods that you can put into your diet for more variety (and vitamins, etc) that may replace something that was just empty calories.
Cutting back on refined sugar, like in sweets and other things will also help you lose weight.
You mentioned calorie counting - Calorie counting is a good idea to track how much per day you are eating as opposed to how much you should be taking in and putting out to get your weight down. Eating too *few* calories though will also impact your weight loss goals negatively in the long term.
And, of course, exercise is key in losing weight. Cardio activity to get your heart rate up to burn any extra calories and increase your metabolism is crutial and I'd be hard pressed to see much weight loss without it.

Good luck!

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#276200 - 07/29/06 11:46 AM
Darlene54

Thank you for your reply. I've been afraid to eat most fruit and vegetables because I know that you have to cook, peal, mash etc. I am also guilty of eating almost the same things everyday. Never getting much variety. I will take your suggestion and start to incorporate fruits and veggies in my diet and see how things go. I will also cut down on my portion sizes. As far as exercise, well I can try walking, but I have to be honest, I really am too tired to exercise. (More like lazy!) But I appreciate your input. Thanks

--------------------
Darlene

Re: Do you do regular cardio? *nt new
      #276201 - 07/29/06 11:51 AM
Darlene54

No, I do no exercise at all. I am not obese but I am about 20lbs heavier than I should be. I just have no motivation when it comes to exercise. I guess I will have to start sometime. Thanks for asking

--------------------
Darlene

#276202 - 07/29/06 12:06 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

You know, I have been surprised, but even on days when my lower abdomen feels bloated (which makes me tired and may lead to lower back pain when I walk) if I even just walk slowly on the treadmill or outside, more of a stroll, it does me good! I have been walking almost everyday and not horribly fast (I had an 80 year old gent scoff at my speed ) I am still reaping benefits. I was undressing in front of the mirror one day and noticed a lot of the dimpling in my thighs is going away! So even if you do it slowly and not very long (I only walk 30 min. a little over a mile) it will help in various ways.

Butt dimples new
      #276210 - 07/29/06 02:20 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Funny thing...since I've been on the diet, I haven't lost an ounce but I have noticed that a lot of my "cottage cheese" has disappeared. My guess is simply that it's a low-fat diet. I've never noticed such a difference before, even when I was exercizing like a freak before my wedding! It's pretty cool!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Cardio new
      #276216 - 07/29/06 03:05 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Regular cardio will boost your metabolism. Just walking at a pace that slightly raises your heartrate will work. If you do about 20 minutes of cardio 5 days a week, you'll keep your metabolism up. I used to do cardio for 40 minutes to an hour 3 to 4 days a week and I dropped alot of weight that way. Anything that you enjoy that is active (dance, walking, jogging, riding, group fitness classes, etc.) will work.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#276225 - 07/29/06 05:13 PM
Darlene54

Thanks for the encouragement!

--------------------
Darlene

Re: Butt dimples new
      #276227 - 07/29/06 05:15 PM
Darlene54

Thanks for responding!

--------------------
Darlene

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5319 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1846

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review