All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Mucus.
      #275893 - 07/27/06 12:22 PM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

I just passed a lot of mucus. I know that is a common symptom of IBS, but I it was a few hours after I was crying about something. ...And I happened to swallow a bit of it, which I always do (I know it's gross) But this made me wonder if mucus is negatively affecting our digestion process? Does anyone else have a problem with mucus? Do you swallow it or anything?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mucus. new
      #275930 - 07/27/06 03:13 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

You know, that is a really good question.. I have no idea.. But I mean, when you are say, really sick (chest cold) or crying, it's going to end up happening at some point (swallowing i mean) so yeah.. you might just be on to something there....

#275955 - 07/27/06 06:11 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

The colon is lined with mucous membrane, just like noses and vaginas, etc. ... it produces its own mucus. I wouldn't worry about that mucus, personally, or any I might swallow up at the other end. (when I say "worry," I mean don't worry about it plugging you up). I'm not a doctor, but the only condition I've ever heard of where mucus might truly affect digestion is cystic fibrosis.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#275957 - 07/27/06 06:33 PM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

Yeah, the reason why I mentioned it is because I was joking around with a friend the other day, and trying to gross him out telling him that I was swallowing my mucus ..(don't ask ..hah) ..Anyways, then he mentioned that is wasn't normal. Then it occured to me that I've always done that as a kid, because I didn't know how to spit it out or anything and I could always feel it at the back of my throat. ..It feels like a lump of slime just sitting at the back of my throat and I can feel it move if I swallow.
Maybe it's not normal, and I was wondering if it disturbed our digestion process since a symptom of ibs is passing mucus. ..But maybe I'm wrong.

#275959 - 07/27/06 06:38 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

If I understand correctly, the mucus we pass with our IBS comes directly from our colons. I have an appt. with my GE in a couple weeks, that would be a good thing to ask while he's on my dime.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2056 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 590

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review