All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help IBS-D won't stop!!
      #275872 - 07/27/06 11:23 AM
Tide

Reged: 08/21/04

This is my first post. I having been using Heather's books for two years with incredible success. I have been eating safely and been doing the suggestions under how to break attacks never the less I've had D for 7 days now. I've been doing peppermint tea and just started as of yesterday the acacia. My major concern is that I'm supposed to get on a plane on Saturday for an 11 day trip. I'm terrified I'm flying with two small children and I can't afford to be in the bathroom. Not to mention that I feel like my trip is doomed. I have been taking Immodium which for me usually stops it right away but it's not working at all!!
I need help even if it's only kind words.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help IBS-D won't stop!! new
      #275875 - 07/27/06 11:35 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I'm having a similar problem (without the trip looming ahead of me), so I know how you feel. Could it be that your anxiety about flying is triggering this? Anxiety is a major trigger for me.

How much Immodium are you taking? You might need to take one before every meal until things calm down. Be sure not to exceed the daily recommended dose however. Have you tried an antispasmodic medication, like Levsin? Your doc would prescribe that.

Good luck!

#275879 - 07/27/06 11:45 AM
Camryn

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: Canada

I agree with Digby - it seems like you need a prescription, at least in the short-term until you get things under control (especially with a trip planned). I hope you start feeling better soon!

#275964 - 07/27/06 06:57 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

We can suffer in solidarity, Tide... I've been having a spate of it myself since Saturday night.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#276169 - 07/28/06 09:51 PM
Tide

Reged: 08/21/04

Thanks for all of your help! I went to the Doc and they gave me Lomotil. The only down side I guess is how drowsy I am.

#276170 - 07/28/06 10:27 PM
Ganny

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Oregon, USA

Hi, I don't have the diarrhea so much anymore (I had to have two colonectomies NOT related to IBS, but they gave me what I now read on this board!), but when I get it I find that the Acacia taken several times per day plus white rice (just plain and cooked like "sticky" rice) will help within two or three days.

I also have learned what drugs hurt/help. For diarrhea or just too frequent and/or loose stools I get into more difficulty with Lomotil. But Belladonna (Donnatal I believe) helps stop everything, but it has to really be frequent, like diarrhea or you can have the "stopping" with pain of cramping and not "going." This stuff is so unpredictable. Another thing that helps to just relax the spasms/cramps is Bentyl (watch it for unsteadiness and start at 10 mg., going to 20 mg. perhaps once to three times in 24 hours). Wish where I have my anastomosis (top of rectum where sigmoid used to attach (sigmoid and descending colon is now gone)would quiet down. I think stress is worse than wrong foods or they both get it going. But I never had problems that I knew of before colon surgeries with stress hurting me but boy, after the second one OUCH! I have this very vulnerable area now and about half a colon. I would like to meet someone who has had colon surgery and IBS before and after. I feel "alone" in my fight with this "stuff." Help!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 527 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1335

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review