All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
An IBS woman's worst place for an almost attack!
      #275674 - 07/25/06 08:34 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I had my yearly with my gyn doctor yesterday. I had my two boys in tow (8 and 4). I was forever in the waiting room, rumbling tummy and all, and then waiting in the exam room for the doctor, in the lovely paper gown they have you put on with a paper draped over me. Naked of course underneath. I felt my stomach rumbly and I had prepared. Imodium, equalactin, safe eating, peppermint caps, the works, but the stress of being there, knowing I couldn't get to a bathroom quick if I needed to, (with my boys and in this paper gown) made my stomach even worse. Then the feared exam where everything hangs out! Thank God, I was OK and made it through but I couldn't think of a worse place for attack if one were to happen. Well maybe I could but at the time, it seemed the worst place!

Sandy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: An IBS woman's worst place for an almost attack! new
      #275855 - 07/27/06 09:57 AM
T~N~T

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Ohio

This happened to me as well. I kept going back and forth to the bathroom in the waiting room before they called me back. Then when I got back to the cold room and changed into my gown and paper lap napkin I came out of the changing room bent over with my hand over my stomach. I explained to the nurse my situation and she assured me there was a restroom right around the corner in the hallway...Like I'm going in the hallway with a partially open gown and a paper napkin. No thanks! I don't have children but I can really relate to this!

Glad you made it thru!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

#275858 - 07/27/06 10:09 AM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

Can sympathize with you also! Just think, you won't have to go through that again for a while! Think of me in Sept. when I'm having mine!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

#275894 - 07/27/06 12:22 PM
Camryn

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: Canada

This didn't happen to me but it definitely occured to me when I had my last exam about a month ago. I was waiting for an hour and kept having those evil what if thoughts, which are generally not helpful at all.

#275898 - 07/27/06 12:40 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

You poor baby!! Like the exam itself isn't enough stress. Stoopid gyn exam. I'm so glad you made it. I get scared like this before massages for the same reason. A gyn exam would def be worse, tho!

~nelly~

#275904 - 07/27/06 12:49 PM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Sandy,

How positively brave of you to take your two kids with you!!! I have several pelvic exams a year due to past gynecological problems and I always have my husband take my daughter out to lunch. Only when she was a newborn did I take her with me!!

I always have the same thoughts when sitting and waiting, but I calm myself by saying "You know what, you can leave if you need to." My doc has told me that I can leave the room any time I need to. No big deal. Well, um at certain times that would be kind of hard, but it makes me feel better that he says that anyway. That's why I keep going back to him specifically.

Glad it turned out OK anyway!

Laura

#275938 - 07/27/06 04:10 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

I've also had a similar situation where I had to go to the emergency room because I knew I had a bladder infection and I needed a prescription. Of course my stomache was acting up and I was feeling miserable. Unfortunately the bathroom was out in the hallway of the hospital and I was so worried that I would miss my name when they called me. They don't have a speaker system, it's just a nurse that walks out to the waiting area to call your name. I was so worried I'd miss my name being called, and then have them think I left. Other people must of thought I was nuts..squirming in my seat ..... it was a long 4 1/2 hr wait to be sure.

I think next time I'll brave the infection over the weekend and try and get into my doctor on the Monday

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Re: An IBS woman's worst place/Altoids new
      #275944 - 07/27/06 05:10 PM
AdventureGirl

Reged: 05/05/05

Sandy-

In case you did not see my post to you recently on urgency. I can relate and some suggestions. See below.

Hi SandyG-

I like the ideas of awareness over urgency. Also, coffee does aggravate urgency unfortunately. I also find it is driven by some emotions I don't want to have or don't want to feel. Just letting the emotions go helps tremendously.

Donnatol helps slow things down in addition to the peppermint supplements. Also, I find the quickest relief when I swallow or munch Altoids. I usually take 8 to start and two every few minutes afterwards until the "tickly" feeling goes away or until I would like to safely get to the restroom.

Hope this helps.

Adventuregirl

#275947 - 07/27/06 05:14 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Or find the staff nurse and explain! They are doctors and nurses. I think they would understand.

Thanks for your replies about my recent appointment! (m) new
      #276053 - 07/28/06 08:27 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I did tell him that I have IBS when he asked what prescriptions I was on and said Lomotil. So at least next time I could tell him, hey my IBS is acting up, I need to go to the restroom. For me sometimes, just letting someone know I have the condition, eases up the stress of it. And maybe next time my hubby will be home and I can leave the kids at home. He is so good with kids and enjoys seeing them, ( he delivered them) so I do like to bring them.

Thanks again, it helps to know we are not alone in our struggles!
Sandy

#278441 - 08/15/06 03:21 PM
funmom

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: California

That happened to me at the DENTIST!!! Lovely, huh. Do any of you guys feel like sometimes it's "mind over matter" like you can either talk yourself out of it OR just push through the feeling??

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 957 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2281

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review