All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
When did your IBS start?
      #2754 - 03/13/03 02:22 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

im just curious here. when i was 13, i noticed that when i ate popcorn, hamburgers, and soda, my stomach hurt, but i ignored it. when i was 14, i noticed chocolate set me off, and then at 14 1/2, i really took notice that my stomach wasnt normal. at 15, i went a world wide search to try and diagnose myself. during my searching, i found out i had ibs. so in other words, my ibs started to take off around my first menustration period. so i think hormones were involved.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: When did your IBS start? new
      #2756 - 03/13/03 02:48 PM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

I was diagnosed at age 16, and I attribute it to the mistreatment from a jerky boyfriend who was verbally and emotionally abusive. But I did notice the times in my life when things were going smoothly, the IBS would decrease or vanish, only to emerge later due to a new stressor.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

#2763 - 03/13/03 04:02 PM
ajc

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: australia

Hi Zaftig, about 5 years ago I got very ill with constant D and vomiting for several months. No doctors at the time could diagnose what was wrong with me, but looking back I was in an unhealthy relationship too, and I am convinced that my intense unhappiness and the whole situation caused this. The relationship ended 2 years ago, and he has since passed away.
I am now in a very healthy relationship, but, when insecurities flare up (which i think is natural??) and when my self esteem is down, I do feel myself getting sick again.
It is comforting to hear of similar stories of how people's IBS began.
On another note, over the past week I have cut down on the amount of carbohydrates I have been eating and I have not felt bloated, which is great. Might be another tip for some to try.

Take care,
ajc

#2764 - 03/13/03 04:21 PM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

Mine started when my daughter turned 6 months- so that is 2 years ago now. I had wonderful prenancies with both kids and no IBS. I also tried the birth control pill, which set the cycle of IBS-D big time!!!!!!! I am pretty much under control now-but stress or changes to my life can alter things really fast.

#2772 - 03/13/03 09:47 PM
juniorrachel

Loc: St. Louis, MO

i, too, think that an unhealthy relationship was a stress factor in bringing on my IBS. it lasted about 3 years and he was verbally and emotionally abusive. thank god that's over. also, this came right after a few years of struggling with anorexia, which probably affected me, too. and the anorexia came after a year of depression and very low self esteem in grade school. so probably that progression of things.

beth

#2773 - 03/13/03 09:50 PM
ajc

Loc: australia

Well you look happy in your photo so I hope all is well now with you!

#2775 - 03/13/03 10:52 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

My IBS started in High school not to bad at first, I couldn't drink much soft drinks, 3 sips and my stomach felt bloated sometimes my stomach hurt after dinner. At age 24 had awful constipation for a year then the next year, diarrhea that wouldn't stop. the meds everyday just to be able to leave the house. The next 3 years were a nightmare.During all this I was attending college, was that the trigger for my IBS? 22 years later still dealing with IBS some days are better than others.
Paintlady

#2776 - 03/13/03 11:01 PM
Sweetwater

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: NJ, USA

I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I had mono in Oct. 1999, and my throat almost closed up, so they put me on steroids for about a week. I gained 30 pounds---those things make you gain weight, even if you don't eat anything! After the mono cleared up, I had a lot of stomach problems, and in February 2000, after a ton of tests, my doc diagnosed me with IBS. He said it was a side effect from the steroids. But I think also it was b/c I had a very unhealthy diet all those years, and ate TONS of dairy all the time! I practically lived on cheese samiches!

Maybe it happened due to attending the school of hard knocks! I've been thru A LOT of crap that I never wanna go thru again. I get attacks when I'm stressed tho. But around the time I was diagnosed with IBS, I was in a very good relationship (still in it, 4 years later). I mean, a year before that I was in an abusive relationship. I didn't have IBS back then. I think it's different for everyone. I think it was everything in my life, finally caught up to me, ya know?

Anyways, the important thing is that it's a lot better now! My IBS and my life!

#2784 - 03/14/03 04:13 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

I found out I had ibs-d last year. I don't really recall anytime before that when I think I could have had it, though in highschool, I was always 'c'

Thankfully I have a wonderful b'friend and it's not a trigger for me. I don't know what my trigger is? My mum, aunt and nana are all the same with this too.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3630 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2166

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review