All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
what could it possibly be?
      #275044 - 07/20/06 03:36 PM
JustMe

Reged: 06/29/06
Loc: NY

ok so this is what my food diary looks like for today.. what could possibly be making me gassy and bloated???
9:30 2 beanos, 2 digestive advantage gas, 1 digestive aid pill (supposed to help you digest your food), 1 heathers peppermint pill
cornpop DRY AS A BONE! can't have milk, someone recommened i avoid soy

12:30 3 beanos, 1 digestive aid, 1 peppermint pill
white rice, white boneless skinless 98% fat free chicken breast cooked in tomatoe sauce, 1 banana
1:30 chewed some fennel seeds and drank some fennel tea
2:40 i ate half of a dairy free wheat free cookie
4:00 chewed more fennel seeds
4:15 at the other half of the cookie
and the gas started
4:30 cranberry juice
5:20 a cliff bar
its 6:30 and i still have gas and bloating!!! I am sooo frustrated.. I just want to eat like a normal person and not have to regret EATING afterwards.. or if i'm going to change my diet and eat pill after pill atleast then not have to feel this way afterwards! I don't know whether to scream or cry!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what could it possibly be? new
      #275046 - 07/20/06 03:43 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

Ya know what? this is just a theory but are you nervous or anxious about what you are eatting and constantly thinking *gee I hope this doesn't make me ill*?? I know it's hard to belive and to listen to, but every single time I worried if I was going to get ill or have symptoms or anything, I did. If I relaxed and didn't worry so much, then there wasn't that much of a problem..

OR perhaps the citric acid in the tomatos was too much for you? I know it can be with some people, or perhaps your body is reacting badly to all the medication and such you are taking? Just a thought..

#275049 - 07/20/06 03:55 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I haven't any answers either. But your comment "like normal people" was cute. We're not normal anymore, unfortunately, we have IBS. Hope you tum settles down soon for you.

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#275069 - 07/20/06 05:13 PM
JustMe

i mean i think about it.. yea.. but i'm not obsessed or anything.. i kinda have it in my head that if i follow this diet and take the meds it will work

and the meds shouldnt make things worse.. its peppermint, digestive aids and anti gas

i dont think its that i was getting gas before i switched to this diet and started taking the pills

#275079 - 07/20/06 05:51 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The cookie, maybe? Wheat-free and dairy-free doesn't necessarily mean "safe" - what's the fat content? I find that most vegan cookies are way out of safe fat range.

Don't Clif bars have dairy in them? Seems to me that the only safe bars in terms of being dairy-free and a good fat percentage are the Luna bars. I could be wrong on that one, but that might be something else to check, especially if you eat them often.

Also, I'm not sure how long you've followed the diet, but patience is definitely a virtue here. I wish I could say that it's a quick fix and you'll feel better immediately, but most of the time, I don't think that's the case. Gas and bloating are the hardest symptoms to get under control, too. Hang in there, and I hope you feel better soon.

#275109 - 07/21/06 06:16 AM
JustMe

the cookie is only 2 grams of fat and its huge

#275116 - 07/21/06 07:28 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

That's definitely not it, then. I was just taking stabs at guesses.

#275123 - 07/21/06 07:54 AM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

Maybe it's the quantity of the food that you are eating at the same time. You listed a lot of food for breakfast, and I know that I would get bloated from just eating the whole banana alone! I can only eat half at a time. It seems like your doing good, but I think you should space out your meals a little more, especially breakfast. All the food is probably just sitting there and building up and now your having an attack.
I have a little problem with quantity too. I think that's one of the hardest parts of being a C.
Do you think that's the problem? Or is it something else?

#275391 - 07/24/06 07:28 AM
JustMe

well its rare that I'm "a C".. sometimes when I travel it happens.. but I don't mind.. I seem to be less gassy.. I'll try cutting down on the quantity.. I also think that stressing out over little thing I eat may be an issue.. so I think I need to relax and just eat like a normal person.. but minus the dairy for now...

Re: what could it possibly be? - don't worry you're not alone in your frustrations new
      #276545 - 08/01/06 04:18 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Hey there, I know just how you feel, and when I wonder if I just want to scream or cry, I think of both. The pain, the frustration and the confusion makes me want to scream and cry and I wouldn't wish this disorder on my worst enemy, that's how much it kills me.

This is my suggestion and just my opinion, but just because something is termed a digestive aid doesn't always mean it's supposed to make things work all better. Everybody's body is different and reacts differently to different foods, quantities, the quality, and then add into the factors of stress or any other things going on in your life or your mind either past, present, or future.

Also, while you are keeping your food diary, you might also try as best as you can to eliminate a type of food, supplement, medicine, or something else that could be a trigger to see if removing it makes any difference at all. I know it's not easy. I hate sounding patronizing, but I do promise you that you're not alone in this. I'm still suffering.

Also, just because you're not "obsessing" doesn't mean it's not bothering you. The IBS diet and eating patterns are supposed to be eventually ingrained in our minds, so that is true, it always will be something that'll be in the back of our minds. But in the beginning it's really hard not to wonder, worry, ponder over the possibilities of "hmm...what if...?" whether it's a positive or negative thought. It's always a good idea to make your food choices as wisely as possible, as Heather and others are teaching. Don't be too hard on yourself, I think you're making an honest effort.

Btw, I used to drink chamomile, peppermint, and various other herbal teas before I ever had IBS. Not too long after finding this website, I found that teas made with peppermint, chamomile, green tea, fennel, and even steeping basil tea was really tough on me - I either ended up with a twisted up gut, a backache and bloating/gas. Talk about weird... and yet even though it's not recommended to do it often, I can drink a bottle of water with a peppermint altoid dissolved in it just fine with no problems. I'm going to keep trying though. I'm saving up money so that I can try Heather's acacia fiber and peppermint caps. In the meantime, I'm going to try drinking herbal tea again.

Try eating a little less each meal and eating more often instead, which is healthier for both your metabolism, digestion, blood sugar, and might help your IBS more.

And iirc, it's my understanding that Luna bars are the only dairy-free bars, and that most other bars like Clif bars and such have dairy.

Sorry this got so long, but it was kind of in reply to you as well as everyone else thus far.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 405 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1698

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review