All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newbie Question - Juicing??
      #274741 - 07/19/06 10:16 AM
Hails

Reged: 07/19/06

Hey! I'm new to IBS and this board but I have to say first that I'm so grateful that I found this website. I ordered the book and the acacia fiber. I've already seen a difference by eliminating dairy from my diet (It's been hard but it seems to help).

My question is...I just bought a juicer and I was wondering if juicing veggies/fruits would be safer since the pulp is not in the juice thus taking out most of the insoluble fiber?

Thanks again.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

That's a good question ... hope someone knows... - nt - new
      #274812 - 07/19/06 01:53 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Newbie Question - Juicing?? new
      #274828 - 07/19/06 02:16 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The problem with juices is fructose. You may be okay juicing vegetables - I'm not sure how much fructose you get in vegetable juice - but fruits will be a problem. Fructose can be an IBS trigger:

Quote:

Fructose, a fruit sugar, can cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea (this is typically not true for sucrose, or plain table sugar). Honey contains fairly high amounts of fructose. Fruit juices, particularly apple and grape juice, are often sky high in fructose and even more problematic than whole fresh fruit. It's simply much easier and faster to drink a large glass of juice (and ingest a great deal of fructose) than to eat an equivalent amount of whole fruit. So treat juices as you would insoluble fiber and drink them carefully, with soluble fiber foods.

Also, although Insoluble Fiber can be an IBS trigger, you really do need it for general health and, if you're IBS-C, you need it to resolve the C. I suggest you make sure to lay down a good SF base, then try fruits and vegetables carefully - peeled, chopped, cooked, and/or pureed. Or try smoothies to get fruits down you relatively safely.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Newbie Question - Juicing?? new
      #274836 - 07/19/06 02:27 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Welcome Hails! At the top of the message board index is a search button. Type in the word juicing or whatever subject matter you need and search on all boards in the drop down menu. This might give you prior posts about juicing. My understanding is that actually juicing cuold be beneficial and helpful. The thing is with IBS is that the intestines have a harder time digesting IF, thus if you break it down more before it gets to the intestine, it kinda gives it a break. So, when you juice, usually most juicers will keep the pulp, skin, etc., which is where the nutrients are, and then of course juice up the flesh. If your tummy can handle it, juicing would be a good way to get your IF, just remember to have SF base with it. I would love to get a juicer, myself. Good luck, and see you around. Take care.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Re: Newbie Question - Juicing?? Yeah, and what Sand said, too! :) NP new
      #274837 - 07/19/06 02:29 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:

The problem with juices is fructose. You may be okay juicing vegetables - I'm not sure how much fructose you get in vegetable juice - but fruits will be a problem. Fructose can be an IBS trigger:

Quote:

Fructose, a fruit sugar, can cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea (this is typically not true for sucrose, or plain table sugar). Honey contains fairly high amounts of fructose. Fruit juices, particularly apple and grape juice, are often sky high in fructose and even more problematic than whole fresh fruit. It's simply much easier and faster to drink a large glass of juice (and ingest a great deal of fructose) than to eat an equivalent amount of whole fruit. So treat juices as you would insoluble fiber and drink them carefully, with soluble fiber foods.

Also, although Insoluble Fiber can be an IBS trigger, you really do need it for general health and, if you're IBS-C, you need it to resolve the C. I suggest you make sure to lay down a good SF base, then try fruits and vegetables carefully - peeled, chopped, cooked, and/or pureed. Or try smoothies to get fruits down you relatively safely.

HTH.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 867 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 658

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review