All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
scared of colonoscopy, need someone to talk to
      #273745 - 07/12/06 05:40 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

I was diagnoased w/IBS-A in January 2006. I was doing well controlling it with my diet & Levsin for several months, but something changed in May. I have no idea why but I started getting worse; cramping, urgency, a LOT of pain. I went to see a gastroenterologist today, & she told me I have to have a colonoscopy. I'm terrified!! I almost started crying right there in the Dr's office! I've heard so many horror stories about how much they hurt & how bad you feel afterwards. I just need someone to talk to who has been through it & can hopefully calm my fears. My boyfriend is very supportive but he's never had one either so, although he's been very kind & understanding, he doesn't realize how scared I am.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: scared of colonoscopy, need someone to talk to new
      #273747 - 07/12/06 05:51 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Hello there, I literally just signed up for this board (about 5 minutes ago). I am in process of being worked up for an IBS diagnosis after my internist suggested about 5 years ago that I probably have it. Over the past year, I haven't been doing well, so I finally called a gastroenterologist and made an appointment.

I had a colonoscopy last Thursday. I honestly don't even remember it, even though I had some anxiety about it beforehand. I told the nurse anesthetist I didn't want to see or hear anything during the procedure, and she did me right with the anesthesia. One moment they were prepping me for the procedure, then a moment later (it seemed), I woke up in recovery. I asked my husband, "are they done ALREADY?" He said I'd been in there about 45 minutes. Honestly, the preparation beforehand is more of a hardship than the actual procedure. I had a positive experience, and I hope yours is, too. If you don't want to see or hear anything, make sure the person in charge of anesthesia knows. I also had mine done at an endoscopy center, rather than a hospital... they were very nice folks. Good luck!

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#273751 - 07/12/06 05:59 PM
littlelani

Thank you, that makes me feel better. I'm having mine done at the Dr's office instead of the hospital too. How was the recuperation? My sister-in-law told me she was miserable for a few days after hers. I think that's what worries me the most because my employer is not the most understanding, and I've missed so much work already this year I'm already on the brink of getting fired. Looking for a new, better & less stressful, job as we speak!

--------------------

#273752 - 07/12/06 06:01 PM
DebiLu

Reged: 05/20/06

My husband had a colonoscopy done last year. There was no pain involved, in fact, the worst part was "cleaning out the colon" 24 hours before the procedure. He said to tell you not to worry. He literally fell asleep and woke up and it was done! Afterwards they gave him a gingerale and we stopped on the way home for some food. Good luck!

Welcome to the boards. new
      #273758 - 07/12/06 06:22 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

You'll be fine. No need to to worry. The bowel cleaning beforehand is no fun. You take a laxative that clears out your GI system so that your doc can see clearly how everything looks. That is the day before. The day of your appt. you'll go in early to prep. They'll knock you out and next thing you know, it's all over. You'll expel gas for a day or two from the colonoscopy. Just let them know that you don't want to be anywhere near awake. Good luck.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#273760 - 07/12/06 06:29 PM
GaiasSong

I had no problems at all recuperating. I got to the endoscopy center at 9am, and got home about 11:45am. Was kind of sleepy and out of it (not in a bad or scary way at all, though), so I just got in bed and slept till about 4 that afternoon. No pain... frankly, I couldn't even tell they'd been up there, LOL. Went back to work the next day. My gut actually felt *good* from the fasting... no pain or diarrhea again until Sunday.

The only cautions I have are related to the prep you do the day before. They had me do the Dulcolax/Miralax prep. It made me nauseous, and I threw up about 3 hrs. after I started drinking the Miralax. The instructions they gave me said drink 8 oz. every 15-30 minutes, and I think that was just too fast and overwhelmed my system. When I have another colonoscopy, I will probably drink 8 oz. every hour instead, my system turns things around fast, anyway.

--------------------

It'll be ok!! Promise! new
      #273778 - 07/12/06 07:28 PM
polly2004

Reged: 05/30/06
Loc: Minnesota

Hi there...I know how you feel. When my doc told me that I had to have one; I did cry in his office (i'm 31). I was super scared. When I finally got there, (my mom and fiance went w/me) I cried the whole time. The nurses were really nice and so was my GI doctor. They slightly sedated me and talked to me the whole time telling me it will be ok. And you know what it wasn't bad at all. Everyone will tell you the prep work the day before is the worst. I didn't believe them, but it is. The colonoscopy is no big deal I promise. I swear to you, I HATE doctors. It wasn't that bad. I didn't feel like anything afterwards. I was really hungry though! You have to fast the day before. So when I was done...I chowed down! LOL!! Don't worry!

#273803 - 07/13/06 04:36 AM
littlelani

Thank you all so much for the information & comforting words! I feel much better knowing that I'll be knocked out during the procedure & the recup time won't be that bad! I'm still concerned about the day before but if you guys all made it through I'm sure I can too! My Dr wants me to take Fleet-Phospho Soda & 2 Dulcolax tablets between 4:30-11pm...not looking forward to that. But I guess if it helps determine what's going on *down there* I'll find a way to manage. Thanks again everyone!

--------------------

#273812 - 07/13/06 06:59 AM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

I agree with the rest, the prep before hand is the worst part. I have had 2 procedures done and probably more in the future.I had no pain at all, even when they removed polyps from me. They give you great drugs, you will be in happyland and very relaxed!!! It's gonna be fine, i had no problems afterward and ate like a horse when i got home!

#275238 - 07/22/06 12:55 PM
GaiasSong

littlelani, how did your colonoscopy go? (have you had it yet?)

--------------------

#275266 - 07/22/06 04:48 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I'm supposed to have my colonoscopy on Monday. Yikes! What I've heard isn't all that bad, though. I heard that you don't remember anything and the only side effect is some gas.

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#275267 - 07/22/06 04:58 PM
littlelani

It's not until September!! I went to the GI that my personal Dr said is "the best" in the area. She must be the best if she's that busy! When her office called me back to schedule the "procedure", I almost screamed!! I can't believe I have to wait THAT long! I wanted to get it over & done with, but...so much for that. I've been trying not to think about it too much. I feel a lot better after talking to you guys, but I'm still apprehensive about it. I'm sure it'll be fine, but the anticipation is horrible! And the GI is very nice & understanding, she didn't treat me like my previous Dr, did--he told me I was complaining, whining, told me I was "just getting old & things don't work as well as they used to"!! I'm only 30, I'm not THAT old. But this Dr is very pleasant & seems to know what she's doing, and my current Dr trusts her, so I'm sure everything will go well. Thank you for following up w/me! When it happens I'll let you know how it went-without all the unpleasant details of course!

--------------------

#275268 - 07/22/06 05:07 PM
littlelani

Good luck! I'm sure it will be fine. Everyone who responded to my post said that the colonoscopy is no big deal, but the day before is the hard part. My thoughts will be with you tomorrow as you deal with that stage of the procedure. I wish you well tomorrow & Monday!

--------------------

#275277 - 07/22/06 05:59 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

Thank-you! I hope yours isn't that bad, either!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#275794 - 07/26/06 06:59 PM
GaiasSong

Quote:

I'm supposed to have my colonoscopy on Monday. Yikes! What I've heard isn't all that bad, though. I heard that you don't remember anything and the only side effect is some gas.

LOL, to be quite honest, I think have worse gas on a regular basis than I had from the colonoscopy.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 730 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2445

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review