All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
breakfast
      #273463 - 07/11/06 06:29 AM
JustMe

Reged: 06/29/06
Loc: NY

ok weird question.. but what does everyone eat for breakfast?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Depending on what I'm feeling like... new
      #273485 - 07/11/06 09:52 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

(I love breakfast. This list will probably be long. )

Cereal with soy milk

Egg-white or EggBeaters omelet with oodles of sauteed mushrooms and a little onion, maybe some tomatoes, and toast (no butter)

Banana-soy milk smoothie and toast (no butter) with jam

Oatmeal with fruit

French toast (made with soy milk and egg whites)

Quick breads and muffins, when it's not so infernally hot that I can't turn on the oven!

Pancakes - I use Reduced Fat Bisquick, soy milk, and egg white, and they come out just as tasty as the originals. Sometimes I throw a little cinnamon and nutmeg in, and a smidge of vanilla... mmm...

If I'm out and about, I usually get a toasted bagel, no butter, and put marmalade or jam on it.

I *can* handle whole eggs now that I'm stable, so I sometimes have ONE egg over easy, but not everyone can handle that, so try that one with caution - and un-buttered toast to dip in that yummy yolk, of course.

There. That should get you started.

Re: Depending on what I'm feeling like... new
      #273487 - 07/11/06 10:01 AM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

i can drink 1% milk (most of the time), i have no idea why lol so i usually have a small bowl of cereal with the 1% milk.. and sometimes a small piece of fruit..

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

Re: breakfast new
      #273516 - 07/11/06 12:03 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

THESE DAYS... lol (weekdays)

pre-breakfast - Luna Bar

breakfast - bowl of instant oatmeal...I do fine with maple & brown sugar, I'm not sure if others are ok with it. I sprinkle my Acacia in it.... (can't even tell it's there)

(weekends)

bagel w/smig of soy cream cheese mixed with a little preserves

french toast w/eggbeaters & rice or soy milk....100% maple syrup and sometimes I also sprikle with lemon juice and powdered sugar (but don't tell my personal trainer please) hehehe

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#273528 - 07/11/06 12:26 PM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

A bowl of Instant hot oats with 3 teaspoons of sugar (I'm a bad girl I know!) and a glass of apple and blackcurrant squash. Keeps me going till lunch!

Just to point out new
      #273574 - 07/11/06 02:42 PM
atomic rose

Dairy products are a major IBS trigger, and it's not recommended that anyone eat them. Just sayin'... if someone's looking for safe breakfast ideas, milk ain't it!

#273578 - 07/11/06 03:21 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Banana smoothie with vanilla soy milk, with 2 frozen unsweetened strawberries, and acacia powder. One piece of sourdough toast with Smart Balance Light.

But after reading the post from Atomic Rose I might try one whole egg (once anyway). I really miss the yolk.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#273582 - 07/11/06 03:49 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Typical during the week:

Oatmeal made w/ 1 c. soymilk with a half cup of canned peaches or canned pears. If I have strawberries, those go in with the peaches or pears. Oatmeal is what I usually have. I fix & eat it at work, but I know not everyone has that option. I really like my oatmeal.

Luna Bar if I'm in a hurry

Smoothie made with soy milk or soy yogurt & a banana &/or 1/2 c. canned peaches if I don't feel like oatmeal

Every great once in awhile, I'll have cold cereal

On the weekend or when I have time to cook breakfast:

Pancakes made with lowfat Bisquick & soymilk

Cornbread made with soymilk. Sometimes, I'm good and use eggwhites and sometimes I'm bad use the whole egg. (Yolks are a trigger for many, but I dont' seem to be as suseptible to fats as a lot of people.)

sorry i shouldve added.. new
      #273589 - 07/11/06 04:55 PM
chely24

just cause it dont bother me.. dont mean youll be the same way..i was just saying what i eat and it dont bother me, i shouldve been more specific

--------------------

Re: sorry i shouldve added.. new
      #273592 - 07/11/06 05:50 PM
Camryn

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: Canada

I have a bowl of cereal with 1% milk every morning too and it doesn't bother me a bit. I don't actually drink the milk so I suppose I'm actually consuming a very small amount.

#273597 - 07/11/06 06:05 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I almost always eat a banana, an onion bagel with soy cream cheese and eggs (I can tolerate yolks).

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: sorry i shouldve added.. new
      #273603 - 07/11/06 06:20 PM
chely24

I dont drink it either so maybe thats why it has no effect on us

--------------------

#273605 - 07/11/06 06:29 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

cold cereal with almond rice milk

toast with a little bit of peanut butter and jelly

eggbeaters with turkey sausage or turkey bacon

Luna Bar if I am in a hurry

bagel with toffuti cream cheese sprinled with garlic salt

bannana bread or applesauce muffins. These are in the index and are so quick and yummy to make!

#273606 - 07/11/06 06:46 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

breakfast doesn't like me. I have to be awake for awhile before I can eat anything. I usually have a pre-breakfast which is an applesauce cup and then later on have some toast, bagel or thinsations.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

I think the trick... new
      #273612 - 07/11/06 10:33 PM
atomic rose

...is to watch the amount of fats you eat with it. I mean, an egg yolk has 5g of fat, which isn't atrocious spread out over an entire meal. When I eat a whole egg, I don't eat ANY additional fats - I cook the egg with cooking spray, and I take the toast completely dry. Ya start slathering the toast with margarine, or eat more than 1 egg, and you've put your fat quotient way over the top.

There are a lot of people who can't handle whole eggs at all... I guess they're harder to digest than the whites. Still, if you're feeling brave... LOL.

Oh no, it's ok! new
      #273613 - 07/11/06 10:35 PM
atomic rose

I just throw stuff like that out there for any newbies who might come across this discussion in the future and get totally confused... because it WILL happen, LOL! No worries!

Re: I think the trick... new
      #273619 - 07/12/06 03:58 AM
Double J

May next days off I am going to give it a whirl ... thanks!

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Oh no, it's ok! new
      #273631 - 07/12/06 05:56 AM
chely24

lol ok whew, i thought i did something wrong!!

--------------------

Re: banana smoothie .... new
      #273660 - 07/12/06 08:56 AM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

The ingredients in that sound really safe and tolerable. I want to try it, but I have a quick question. Do you use the whole banana? Or just a portion of it?

I use the whole banana. - nt - new
      #273688 - 07/12/06 11:03 AM
Double J

--------------------

Honestly... new
      #273708 - 07/12/06 12:51 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Honestly, I skip food in the morning. Food in the morning just is a "bad" thing for me and well...skipping it is the best option. I has this habit of coming back to haunt me or triggering a D attack. I have always been this way, even when I was a young child.

Kate, IBS-D.

#273719 - 07/12/06 01:54 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

This post is interesting for me right now, because I am currently in a lot of pain from eating breakfast for the first time in a long time...usually, a small banana or a few bites of muffin, and some soy milk in my coffee (not safe for most!) are just about all I can handle. But when I'm feeling up to it, I will have cereal with sliced banana and soy milk, and maybe some berries in there. This morning, I made myself some oatmeal with soy milk and a sprinkling of cinnamon, and ate a peach on the side...I couldn't finish my oatmeal, but I guess it was still a bit too much, because I feel so bloated and my stomach is in so much pain, I can barely move!

No more breakfast for me for a while...

--------------------
Julia

#273724 - 07/12/06 03:42 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I can tolerate yogurt - it doesn't bother me so usually I have plain yogurt with 1/2 mashed banana and 1/4 c of oat bran - this way I get about 7g of fiber just from the food alone !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#273737 - 07/12/06 04:26 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I use OJ instead of soy milk (soy doesn't sit well with me, but OJ does... plus its the kind with calcium so I guess thats an extra bonus). I put in acacia tummy fiber too, and definitely strawberries and frozen peaches (no skin)... seems to be ok to digest when its blended, but is more likely to give me a stomach ache of some sort if its not blended.

-Becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

#273740 - 07/12/06 04:30 PM
Double J

I've never tried oj... that must make a different taste?

--------------------

Not to point out the obvious, but... new
      #273764 - 07/12/06 06:38 PM
atomic rose

If you're drinking coffee, and you're still not stable, I'd suspect the coffee as a trigger. Coffee is NOT safe - it triggers IBS symptoms even in some people I know who don't have IBS!

#273814 - 07/13/06 07:05 AM
czukster

Pretty much the same thing every day - juice with fiber powder (guar gum - all soluble) and 1 serving Cream of Rice with soymilk and a little brown sugar

#274330 - 07/17/06 08:49 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

Okay, I've been reading all the breakfast posts, and I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for me.

Here's the deal...I'm a teacher, that doesn't really like to get up and 'cook' me something in the mornings. I don't mind doing it the night before. But I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a breakfast that actually 'stays' with me. My first class is at 7:32, then I don't each lunch until 12:05. And with 30 8th graders running around, I don't always have time for a snack. If I do, a Luna bar is usually the best and quickest option.. It just doesn't seem like breakfast stays with me very long, and when that happens, usually around 10 my stomach starts aching, and I'm the type that gets a little sick to my stomach when I go too long without eating. I'm also VERY active (being a PE teacher and then coach after school, I'm on the go all day!) Does anyone have any other breakfast suggestions? I can't do dairy, bananas, or strawberries (unfortunately, those smoothies sound awesome, but probably wouldn't help my hunger around 10 a.m. anyway). I just need something with some 'substance', you know what I mean? I'm also trying to watch my calories.

Thanks!

The two things that stick with me the longest new
      #274336 - 07/17/06 09:34 AM
atomic rose

...are oatmeal (not instant - the old-fashioned rolled oats kind) and eggs. In both cases, I think the protein and little bit of fat combine to keep you satisfied.

Unfortunately, I can't think of ANY options for something filling that you don't have to cook in the morning. If it's any consolation, an egg and toast don't take me more than 5 minutes to make, and even rolled oats are quick in the microwave.

As far as calories go, one egg over-easy, a slice of toast with margarine spray, and a cup of berries (substitute a fruit you can eat) is under 200 calories. A serving of oatmeal is 150-160 calories before you add soy milk, sweetener, and/or fruit.

#274346 - 07/17/06 10:52 AM
MamaCat

Reged: 04/09/06
Loc: NJ

I've noticed a lot of people eat Luna bars--are they easy to digest? I've stayed away from any sort of bar since I am not sure what is setting me off lately.

I teach also and can't eat before classes...it's just too early. When I get a break at work, I usually have (and not all at once!):

*A plain bagel
*English muffin w/ seedless jam
*An individual sized portion of an angel food cake (like the size of a muffin)
*A wonderful muffin distributed by the "Functional Gourmet" logo (a product of Canada)--it has no trans fats and no dairy; 200 mg of Omega-3 per muffin, 10 grams fo protein and 3 grams of fiber. I love the blueberry cranberry and the fruit-filled varieties.
*For snacking, I eat dry Rice chex and reduced-fat Ritz. For some protein, the individual tuna cans are great and I dress it up with a bit of vinegar and some spices if I can. I try to bring a banana to work frequently and that seems to give me some extra energy.

I am a coffee addict who had to give up the goods in March--I have seen a difference in my flares because my primary drink is just water now. Coffee causes me instant cramping. But I miss it a lot!!!

--------------------
IBS-D!

quick steel-cut oatmeal new
      #274370 - 07/17/06 01:34 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

What we do with steel-cut oatmeal is make a big batch overnight in the crockpot (it gets really soft and delicious), and then keep the leftovers in the fridge. Subsequent mornings, all you have to do is nuke a serving to warm it up a bit.

It beats the heck out of instant oatmeal!

--AC

Luna bars and other things new
      #274371 - 07/17/06 01:39 PM
atomic rose

If you're in an unstable period, I'd probably not try the Luna bars - they are soy-based, and soy can make people gassy, especially at first. But generally speaking, Luna bars are the ONLY safe ones that I know of. They contain an acceptable fat ratio and no dairy - most of the others have dairy.

If something is setting you off lately, you might look at the muffins and the reduced-fat Ritz. No trans-fat is good, but ANY fat content can trigger IBS attacks, especially if your system is already touchy from something else. We get these FABULOUS no-trans-fat, no-dairy, totally-vegan cookies at the HFS here, but I can't eat them because the fat grams are so high - something like 15g. As for the Ritz, I *think* even the reduced-fat ones have dairy in them. I could be wrong about that one, though, in which case you can just never mind me.

I was a diehard coffee drinker too. I drink Teeccino now when I'm at home and can brew something, and Cafix when I'm not home and/or just want a quick cup of something instant. Both are available at health food stores. Neither one really tastes like coffee, but to me they're a more acceptable substitute than herbal teas, which to me just taste awful.

Yep, that's what my grandfather does, too new
      #274372 - 07/17/06 01:41 PM
atomic rose

But he uses the regular steel-cut oats, the kind that takes forever and a year (well, ok, 30 minutes) to cook. He makes a big batch, and then microwaves servings in the morning for the next few days.

Instant is only ever my very last resort. It doesn't stay with you nearly as long, and I really do like to chew my food, thanks.

#274394 - 07/17/06 04:23 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

I have been eating 1/2 cup of oatmeal at breakfast for a long time now... amazingly it seems I was doing something "right." I like a Tbsp of finely chopped walnuts in mine (tasty + Omega-3's), but not sure that would work for everyone. I'm going to eliminate the walnuts for a few days and see if they are a problem.

On weekends, often pancakes. However, I'd been making mine with all whole wheat (ouch) and whole eggs. This past weekend, I made them with 2 parts old-fashioned oats, 2 parts A/P flour, and 1 part w/w flour. Hubby and I both noticed a "doughy" taste from the white flour, so we'll have to experiment with those some more.

Occasionally, a bowl of cold cereal... but I tend to eat that for dinner, rather than for breakfast.

(Coffee, too, always... another thing for my "eliminate" list to see if it is causing problems.)

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#274400 - 07/17/06 05:27 PM
caroll56

Reged: 04/01/06

For the longest time one cup cooked oatmeal w/honey worked beautifully. I had some blueberries, some walnuts, or a half of banana. Then all hell broke loose and the "D" problem started up out of no-where. I've given it up for a month now. In place of it I've been making egg whites on pita pocket with smart balance and having blueberries on side or bananna. No morning woes. I even have coffee. I'm going to try getting back to my oatmeal routine over the weekend.

#274472 - 07/18/06 03:37 AM
Advance

Reged: 07/13/06

usually i stick to something light since i don't want to start the day off horribly.

corn pops with a little vanilla soy does the trick.
a lightly buttered roll is good also.

Re: Luna bars and other things new
      #274479 - 07/18/06 06:27 AM
MamaCat

Reged: 04/09/06
Loc: NJ

Thanks--I am going to check on the Ritz. I was doing well for the past week and now am in a bad place. Maybe cutting the Ritz out would help if there is dairy in them. The muffins I like to eat have 6 g of fat in them. I don't eat them every day or when I feel sick--if I can hold out on being stable for a bit, they don't typically bother my belly.

It's back to the BTC diet for me today! When I am on track, I will give the Luna bar a try!

--------------------
IBS-D!

Re: Yep, that's what my grandfather does, too new
      #274538 - 07/18/06 11:46 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Yep, we use steel-cut oats in the crockpot overnight. It's not *quite* as nice as cooking them for 30 minutes, but it involves way less thinking in the morning.

--AC

#274565 - 07/18/06 02:09 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Well here in Spain all I can find to eat is white bread. I'm getting FAT!

But when I'm at home, I found some really great instant Organic oatmeal. It tastes good and the nice thing about that in comparison with Quaker is that it seems to fill me up more. With my oatmeal, I like to put a couple spoonfuls of mandarin oranges. Sometimes instead of the oatmeal, I'll have cream of rice. It's easy on the tummy and about as mild as a food you can find. I also will eat an english muffin with soy butter and have a cup of chamomile tea.

Mmmm, simple things but what I wouldn't give to eat them right now! I swear the Spaniards have no digestive problems!!!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

teachers unite! new
      #274601 - 07/18/06 05:14 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi,

I can't eat first thing in the morning, either, so I make myself some instant oatmeal in a small pyrex dish (a round one with a lid). I use almond or soy milk to make it so that I get some extra protein with it. I cook it right before I leave for work, and then I eat it in the car if I'm feeling okay, or I put the lid on it and carry it to work to eat later if I'm not feeling well. Instant oatmeal is fast and acacia mixes in great!

Hubby and I used to make smoothies the night before to have for breakfast, but it was too much work, and I think my oatmeal keeps me full longer.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#274660 - 07/19/06 03:22 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

*giggle* Well, I'm normally not a breakfast person, but here's some things I eat:
I prefer unsweetened Silk brand soy milk for cereals and cooking.
I've found that Honey Nut Cheerios don't taste very good with soy milk, lol, maybe almond milk would taste better, get it? Honey Nut Cheerios are made with almonds... :P Haven't yet tried almond or rice milk though.

Um, Honeycomb Cereal tastes awesome with unsweetened Silk Soy milk. So does that cereal made with corn flakes, strawberries, and honey clusters, I forgot what it's called. Maybe Honey Bunches of Oats with Strawberries? Except what I ate was the generic brand and it was excellent.

A smoothie made with unsweetened Silk soy milk, some type of frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries), bananas, Hershey's chocolate syrup...etc.

On the weekends my BF will sometimes make us hashbrowns, turkey bacon, he eats real eggs, he makes me Egg Beaters, blueberry pancakes (although I don't remember if the pancakes are dairy-free; they are made from a mix, the brand is Krusteaz), and of course margarine and syrup.

Sometimes I don't eat "breakfast" food at all, I just eat whatever I'm in the mood for or whatever we have on hand.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

MMmm corn pops... :) NP new
      #274661 - 07/19/06 03:23 AM
Sommer

--------------------

#274662 - 07/19/06 03:32 AM
Sommer

GaiasSong, (pretty name btw), I also will sometimes eat oatmeal, but I only like the instant stuff for some reason, really picky about the consistency and texture of my food. I eat Quaker Instant Apples and Cinnamon, Maple and Brown Sugar, Cinnamon Spice, and one other flavor I can't think of atm.

I also will eat baby food sometimes. Gerber or BeechNut brand 2nd or 3rd foods, applesauce, other fruit blends, rice cereal with bananas (haven't yet tried the rice cereal with mixed fruit yet). I love 2nd foods-type baby food, lol! Usually, I can find kinds that don't have dairy and if the wheat content is low enough ont he ingredient list, I am usually okay with it.

Nature Valley Granola Bars (crunchy Peanut Butter, Banana Nut, and Honey) and Nature Valley Chewy Trail Mix (almonds, cranberries and raisins are in the bars).

I absolutely LOVE Sun-Maid Fruit Bits. I literally can just sit and scarf them down.

--------------------

I MISS COFFEE :'( new
      #274663 - 07/19/06 03:34 AM
Sommer

Even caffeine-free coffee seems to cramp me up badly. And it taunts me that Silk (my favorite brand of soy milk, soy yogurt and soy smoothies) makes Silk coffee creamer! *Sigh* oh woe is me. Heh.

--------------------

#274664 - 07/19/06 03:53 AM
Sommer

Hi, Dee! Wow, good for you, taking care of 30 8th graders, coaching, and a PE teacher?! Goodness, I couldn't imagine. I miss when I was physically fit enough to handle all that lol! I know how you feel, I get so sick sometimes if I don't eat often enough that I literally can't eat, ironically. I have to eat at least six or more times a day; I get full quickly, and half an hour or so later am starving. For example, today I was unable to eat for over six hours and I was so sick to my stomach with gas and nausea that the look, thought, and smell of food made me feel even worse, even though I was starving.

The only thing that comes to mind, are baby food (like 2nd and 3rd foods by Gerber and BeechNut that you safe for you - for example I couldn't eat the foods with beef - instant oatmeal, Gerber rice cereal (they have a plain kind that doesn't contain fruit or bananas), Um, if you can eat peanut butter, PB toast or PB english muffin. If you can handle the skin of fruit like green apples, you can bring those along to school, again golden delicious apples and peanut butter are great. A weird combo, but really yummy if you're okay with a little bit of salt is dipping golden delicious apples into salt (just dip a corner of an apple wedge into a smidgen of salt). It's actually really yummy. Grab one of those big, cheapie plastic cups, fill with cereal and your favorite non-dairy milk and you can literally drink and eat the cereal on the go, or just pack the cereal dry. Or bring an entire box and stick it in your desk. My sophomore English teacher always taunted us by eating in front of us and reminding us that we weren't allowed to eat in class, hehe. I don't know if any of these will help, since I've never had to worry about watching my calories (yet!). Oh, Silk makes yummy soy yogurt and smoothies (they have a peach and a raspberry, so you don't have to worry about the strawberry flavor), and they also have the yogurt in a few flavors too, iirc. Good luck.

--------------------

Re: Yep, that's what my grandfather does, too -Alright where do I find these steel-cut oats? new
      #274665 - 07/19/06 04:00 AM
Sommer

After reading some of these steel-cut oats postings done in the crockpot, I'm very interested. Where can I find this type of oatmeal and can we pretty please have a "Steel-Cut Oatmeal in the Crockpot" recipe? I would like the kind that is the long-cooking kind. I don't like thick oatmeal, but I think I'm grooving on this idea.... Thanks all!

--------------------

#274666 - 07/19/06 04:05 AM
Sommer

Quote:

Well here in Spain all I can find to eat is white bread. I'm getting FAT!

But when I'm at home, I found some really great instant Organic oatmeal. It tastes good and the nice thing about that in comparison with Quaker is that it seems to fill me up more. With my oatmeal, I like to put a couple spoonfuls of mandarin oranges. Sometimes instead of the oatmeal, I'll have cream of rice. It's easy on the tummy and about as mild as a food you can find. I also will eat an english muffin with soy butter and have a cup of chamomile tea.

Mmmm, simple things but what I wouldn't give to eat them right now! I swear the Spaniards have no digestive problems!!!

Your post was a riot, Flipada. I eat white bread too, sourdough, french bread, and honey oat. Cream of Rice, huh? That' doesn't bother you at all? Anytime I see "cream" of anything, it freaks me out and I mumble to myself "great, another dairy product I probably will regret eating..." Mm, I love mandarin oranges, but never tried them on oatmeal. Only on salads and right out of the can!

--------------------

#274667 - 07/19/06 04:09 AM
Sommer

Quote:

I am a coffee addict who had to give up the goods in March--I have seen a difference in my flares because my primary drink is just water now. Coffee causes me instant cramping. But I miss it a lot!!!

Same here!

Btw, I bought a Luna Bar because it was on one of the sticky posts that Heather has up from one of the moderators who collected a list of snacks that many ppl here are able to eat. I haven't yet tried it. Most energy bars make me nervous because I'm not sure about the dairy or lack thereof. I've had the Luna Bar sitting in my cupboard for about 3 weeks now. It sounds like dessert though, chocolate and peppermint flavor.

--------------------

#274668 - 07/19/06 04:12 AM
Sommer

I forgot to add another thing I will sometimes do. They are really expensive, but I found that Glucerna (a diabetic shake to help control blood sugar) is lactose-free. I think it's gluten-free, too, but don't remember and don't have the box. My favorite flavor is Butter Pecan. Strawberry is decent and I don't remember if I've tried the chocolate flavor yet. I will drink these for or with breakfast, during the day as a snack, etc.

--------------------

#275398 - 07/24/06 07:49 AM
annfromnepa

Reged: 07/24/06
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Hi, my name is Ann, I'm new to this site. I had a gastric bypass two years ago. So I have to incorporate high protein into my diet. For breakfast, what usually keeps me going until noon is cooked oatmeal, then I add Unjury vanilla protein (You can use any type) powder that I have mixed with milk. I seems to work for me, hope this helps.

For Sommer - new
      #275432 - 07/24/06 10:19 AM
atomic rose

I can only find steel-cut oats in health-food stores. If you have a really good grocery store, you might be able to find them there. The package will definitely say "steel-cut oats" on them, and the oats pictured will look more like pebbles than the oats we're used to seeing. I found out the hard way that "Scottish oats" are not the same thing. LOL

To cook steel-cut oats in the Crockpot, combine 2 1/2 cups water, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 cup oats. Cover and let cook on low overnight. That's it. That makes 2 servings.

Re: For Sommer - new
      #275444 - 07/24/06 11:44 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

SO what is the difference between them and Scottish oats? I noticed these in the Bob Red Mill section. Look about the same.

#275526 - 07/24/06 08:26 PM
czukster

Careful! Lactose free does not necessarily mean it's safe for ibs. You have to be careful with other milk proteins (like casein) too.

#275530 - 07/24/06 08:33 PM
czukster

Well, in order to have something that "stays with you" you're going to need a big source of protein so my best suggestion to you would honestly be egg beaters and turkey bacon and some toast. Egg beaters cook extremely fast and the bacon does too in about 8 minutes. Honestly, I understand your frustration about not wanting to cook in the morning. I never even used to eat breakfast period but since I have been taking the time (15 minutes tops) I have noticed a real difference. You might also considered some kind of soy protein powder. I see them in the stores frequently but have not tried it. Best of luck!

#275533 - 07/24/06 08:41 PM
atomic rose

Well, the Scottish oats that I got when I was in NY - not Bob's brand, mind you - were basically just thick rolled oats. So if the Bob's Scottish oats looked like little hard pebbles and not like normal oatmeal, then they were indeed steel-cut.

#275534 - 07/24/06 08:48 PM
czukster

My routine is :

Wake up and take my juice with guar gum fiber and my supplments (a probiotic and ginseng )

then in a little while (say after the shower):

1 serving cream of rice cereal with soy milk and a little brown sugar. (cooks up super fast but warm going down and fills me up)

On the weekends when there is more time or the boyfriend is cooking:

French toast with egg beaters/egg whites
Egg beaters, turkey bacon and toast

I think especially in the morning it is important to remember to take it slow with your eating. It's the first food that's hitting your gut for the day so you want to make sure you take it easy.

Edited by czukster (07/24/06 08:50 PM)

#275570 - 07/25/06 08:12 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Quote:

Well here in Spain all I can find to eat is white bread. I'm getting FAT!...

LOL, but I refuse to feel guilty about it, since I'm having to eliminate other things. I hadn't realized it, but there is a world of yummy white breads out there... I enjoy making my own, too, when time permits. I'm going to hold firmly to the idea that it all works out even in the end.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#278103 - 08/12/06 05:35 PM
Sommer

Awesome, thanks for the description of steel-cut oats and the recipe; I got it written down.

--------------------

I agree with atomic rose, if I end up eating the yolk, I also do what she does. NP new
      #278106 - 08/12/06 07:04 PM
Sommer

--------------------

where to find steel cut oats! new
      #278107 - 08/12/06 07:27 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

Quote:

I can only find steel-cut oats in health-food stores. If you have a really good grocery store, you might be able to find them there. The package will definitely say "steel-cut oats" on them, and the oats pictured will look more like pebbles than the oats we're used to seeing. I found out the hard way that "Scottish oats" are not the same thing. LOL

To cook steel-cut oats in the Crockpot, combine 2 1/2 cups water, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 cup oats. Cover and let cook on low overnight. That's it. That makes 2 servings.

Whole Foods has them in their bulk section. Check their website or give your local store a call to be sure! YUM!

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Re: I MISS COFFEE, TOO! soy coffee new
      #278109 - 08/12/06 07:38 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

somewhere on this board (just tried a search but can't find it) there's a brand name of a soy coffee that's "tolerable" -- I had it about a year ago. There were 2 brands mentioned in the discussion, was was crap and the other as I said was tolerable. Ring any bells to anyone?

I drank the one brand for awhile but quit because the only health food store that carried it was 20 miles away and the stuff was like, $10 for less than a pound, maybe 9 ounces.

Anywho, thought I'd mention it.

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Re: where to find steel cut oats! new
      #278117 - 08/12/06 08:03 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I've seen them at most of my grocery stores. Ask a clerk.

Teeccino ROCKS! new
      #278303 - 08/14/06 02:51 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I think Casey posted about this awhile ago; but I bought some at Wild Oats and tried it over the weekend - YUM! I can drink "coffee" again! If only I could still add the Bailey's...

--Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1077 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 40130

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review