All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
For Sommer - new
      #275432 - 07/24/06 10:19 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can only find steel-cut oats in health-food stores. If you have a really good grocery store, you might be able to find them there. The package will definitely say "steel-cut oats" on them, and the oats pictured will look more like pebbles than the oats we're used to seeing. I found out the hard way that "Scottish oats" are not the same thing. LOL

To cook steel-cut oats in the Crockpot, combine 2 1/2 cups water, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 cup oats. Cover and let cook on low overnight. That's it. That makes 2 servings.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Sommer - new
      #275444 - 07/24/06 11:44 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

SO what is the difference between them and Scottish oats? I noticed these in the Bob Red Mill section. Look about the same.

Re: breakfast new
      #275526 - 07/24/06 08:26 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

Careful! Lactose free does not necessarily mean it's safe for ibs. You have to be careful with other milk proteins (like casein) too.

#275530 - 07/24/06 08:33 PM
czukster

Well, in order to have something that "stays with you" you're going to need a big source of protein so my best suggestion to you would honestly be egg beaters and turkey bacon and some toast. Egg beaters cook extremely fast and the bacon does too in about 8 minutes. Honestly, I understand your frustration about not wanting to cook in the morning. I never even used to eat breakfast period but since I have been taking the time (15 minutes tops) I have noticed a real difference. You might also considered some kind of soy protein powder. I see them in the stores frequently but have not tried it. Best of luck!

#275533 - 07/24/06 08:41 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, the Scottish oats that I got when I was in NY - not Bob's brand, mind you - were basically just thick rolled oats. So if the Bob's Scottish oats looked like little hard pebbles and not like normal oatmeal, then they were indeed steel-cut.

#275534 - 07/24/06 08:48 PM
czukster

My routine is :

Wake up and take my juice with guar gum fiber and my supplments (a probiotic and ginseng )

then in a little while (say after the shower):

1 serving cream of rice cereal with soy milk and a little brown sugar. (cooks up super fast but warm going down and fills me up)

On the weekends when there is more time or the boyfriend is cooking:

French toast with egg beaters/egg whites
Egg beaters, turkey bacon and toast

I think especially in the morning it is important to remember to take it slow with your eating. It's the first food that's hitting your gut for the day so you want to make sure you take it easy.

Edited by czukster (07/24/06 08:50 PM)

#275570 - 07/25/06 08:12 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Quote:

Well here in Spain all I can find to eat is white bread. I'm getting FAT!...

LOL, but I refuse to feel guilty about it, since I'm having to eliminate other things. I hadn't realized it, but there is a world of yummy white breads out there... I enjoy making my own, too, when time permits. I'm going to hold firmly to the idea that it all works out even in the end.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#278103 - 08/12/06 05:35 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Awesome, thanks for the description of steel-cut oats and the recipe; I got it written down.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

I agree with atomic rose, if I end up eating the yolk, I also do what she does. NP new
      #278106 - 08/12/06 07:04 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

where to find steel cut oats! new
      #278107 - 08/12/06 07:27 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

Quote:

I can only find steel-cut oats in health-food stores. If you have a really good grocery store, you might be able to find them there. The package will definitely say "steel-cut oats" on them, and the oats pictured will look more like pebbles than the oats we're used to seeing. I found out the hard way that "Scottish oats" are not the same thing. LOL

To cook steel-cut oats in the Crockpot, combine 2 1/2 cups water, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 cup oats. Cover and let cook on low overnight. That's it. That makes 2 servings.

Whole Foods has them in their bulk section. Check their website or give your local store a call to be sure! YUM!

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 291 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 40331

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review