All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
quick steel-cut oatmeal new
      #274370 - 07/17/06 01:34 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

What we do with steel-cut oatmeal is make a big batch overnight in the crockpot (it gets really soft and delicious), and then keep the leftovers in the fridge. Subsequent mornings, all you have to do is nuke a serving to warm it up a bit.

It beats the heck out of instant oatmeal!

--AC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Luna bars and other things new
      #274371 - 07/17/06 01:39 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If you're in an unstable period, I'd probably not try the Luna bars - they are soy-based, and soy can make people gassy, especially at first. But generally speaking, Luna bars are the ONLY safe ones that I know of. They contain an acceptable fat ratio and no dairy - most of the others have dairy.

If something is setting you off lately, you might look at the muffins and the reduced-fat Ritz. No trans-fat is good, but ANY fat content can trigger IBS attacks, especially if your system is already touchy from something else. We get these FABULOUS no-trans-fat, no-dairy, totally-vegan cookies at the HFS here, but I can't eat them because the fat grams are so high - something like 15g. As for the Ritz, I *think* even the reduced-fat ones have dairy in them. I could be wrong about that one, though, in which case you can just never mind me.

I was a diehard coffee drinker too. I drink Teeccino now when I'm at home and can brew something, and Cafix when I'm not home and/or just want a quick cup of something instant. Both are available at health food stores. Neither one really tastes like coffee, but to me they're a more acceptable substitute than herbal teas, which to me just taste awful.

Yep, that's what my grandfather does, too new
      #274372 - 07/17/06 01:41 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

But he uses the regular steel-cut oats, the kind that takes forever and a year (well, ok, 30 minutes) to cook. He makes a big batch, and then microwaves servings in the morning for the next few days.

Instant is only ever my very last resort. It doesn't stay with you nearly as long, and I really do like to chew my food, thanks.

Re: breakfast new
      #274394 - 07/17/06 04:23 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

I have been eating 1/2 cup of oatmeal at breakfast for a long time now... amazingly it seems I was doing something "right." I like a Tbsp of finely chopped walnuts in mine (tasty + Omega-3's), but not sure that would work for everyone. I'm going to eliminate the walnuts for a few days and see if they are a problem.

On weekends, often pancakes. However, I'd been making mine with all whole wheat (ouch) and whole eggs. This past weekend, I made them with 2 parts old-fashioned oats, 2 parts A/P flour, and 1 part w/w flour. Hubby and I both noticed a "doughy" taste from the white flour, so we'll have to experiment with those some more.

Occasionally, a bowl of cold cereal... but I tend to eat that for dinner, rather than for breakfast.

(Coffee, too, always... another thing for my "eliminate" list to see if it is causing problems.)

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Re: breakfast new
      #274400 - 07/17/06 05:27 PM
caroll56

Reged: 04/01/06

For the longest time one cup cooked oatmeal w/honey worked beautifully. I had some blueberries, some walnuts, or a half of banana. Then all hell broke loose and the "D" problem started up out of no-where. I've given it up for a month now. In place of it I've been making egg whites on pita pocket with smart balance and having blueberries on side or bananna. No morning woes. I even have coffee. I'm going to try getting back to my oatmeal routine over the weekend.

Re: breakfast
      #274472 - 07/18/06 03:37 AM
Advance

Reged: 07/13/06

usually i stick to something light since i don't want to start the day off horribly.

corn pops with a little vanilla soy does the trick.
a lightly buttered roll is good also.

Re: Luna bars and other things
      #274479 - 07/18/06 06:27 AM
MamaCat

Reged: 04/09/06
Loc: NJ

Thanks--I am going to check on the Ritz. I was doing well for the past week and now am in a bad place. Maybe cutting the Ritz out would help if there is dairy in them. The muffins I like to eat have 6 g of fat in them. I don't eat them every day or when I feel sick--if I can hold out on being stable for a bit, they don't typically bother my belly.

It's back to the BTC diet for me today! When I am on track, I will give the Luna bar a try!

--------------------
IBS-D!

Re: Yep, that's what my grandfather does, too
      #274538 - 07/18/06 11:46 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Yep, we use steel-cut oats in the crockpot overnight. It's not *quite* as nice as cooking them for 30 minutes, but it involves way less thinking in the morning.

--AC

Re: breakfast
      #274565 - 07/18/06 02:09 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Well here in Spain all I can find to eat is white bread. I'm getting FAT!

But when I'm at home, I found some really great instant Organic oatmeal. It tastes good and the nice thing about that in comparison with Quaker is that it seems to fill me up more. With my oatmeal, I like to put a couple spoonfuls of mandarin oranges. Sometimes instead of the oatmeal, I'll have cream of rice. It's easy on the tummy and about as mild as a food you can find. I also will eat an english muffin with soy butter and have a cup of chamomile tea.

Mmmm, simple things but what I wouldn't give to eat them right now! I swear the Spaniards have no digestive problems!!!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

teachers unite!
      #274601 - 07/18/06 05:14 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi,

I can't eat first thing in the morning, either, so I make myself some instant oatmeal in a small pyrex dish (a round one with a lid). I use almond or soy milk to make it so that I get some extra protein with it. I cook it right before I leave for work, and then I eat it in the car if I'm feeling okay, or I put the lid on it and carry it to work to eat later if I'm not feeling well. Instant oatmeal is fast and acacia mixes in great!

Hubby and I used to make smoothies the night before to have for breakfast, but it was too much work, and I think my oatmeal keeps me full longer.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 354 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 40341

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review