All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Honestly... new
      #273708 - 07/12/06 12:51 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Honestly, I skip food in the morning. Food in the morning just is a "bad" thing for me and well...skipping it is the best option. I has this habit of coming back to haunt me or triggering a D attack. I have always been this way, even when I was a young child.

Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: breakfast new
      #273719 - 07/12/06 01:54 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

This post is interesting for me right now, because I am currently in a lot of pain from eating breakfast for the first time in a long time...usually, a small banana or a few bites of muffin, and some soy milk in my coffee (not safe for most!) are just about all I can handle. But when I'm feeling up to it, I will have cereal with sliced banana and soy milk, and maybe some berries in there. This morning, I made myself some oatmeal with soy milk and a sprinkling of cinnamon, and ate a peach on the side...I couldn't finish my oatmeal, but I guess it was still a bit too much, because I feel so bloated and my stomach is in so much pain, I can barely move!

No more breakfast for me for a while...

--------------------
Julia

#273724 - 07/12/06 03:42 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I can tolerate yogurt - it doesn't bother me so usually I have plain yogurt with 1/2 mashed banana and 1/4 c of oat bran - this way I get about 7g of fiber just from the food alone !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#273737 - 07/12/06 04:26 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I use OJ instead of soy milk (soy doesn't sit well with me, but OJ does... plus its the kind with calcium so I guess thats an extra bonus). I put in acacia tummy fiber too, and definitely strawberries and frozen peaches (no skin)... seems to be ok to digest when its blended, but is more likely to give me a stomach ache of some sort if its not blended.

-Becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

#273740 - 07/12/06 04:30 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I've never tried oj... that must make a different taste?

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Not to point out the obvious, but...
      #273764 - 07/12/06 06:38 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If you're drinking coffee, and you're still not stable, I'd suspect the coffee as a trigger. Coffee is NOT safe - it triggers IBS symptoms even in some people I know who don't have IBS!

Re: breakfast
      #273814 - 07/13/06 07:05 AM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

Pretty much the same thing every day - juice with fiber powder (guar gum - all soluble) and 1 serving Cream of Rice with soymilk and a little brown sugar

#274330 - 07/17/06 08:49 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

Okay, I've been reading all the breakfast posts, and I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for me.

Here's the deal...I'm a teacher, that doesn't really like to get up and 'cook' me something in the mornings. I don't mind doing it the night before. But I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a breakfast that actually 'stays' with me. My first class is at 7:32, then I don't each lunch until 12:05. And with 30 8th graders running around, I don't always have time for a snack. If I do, a Luna bar is usually the best and quickest option.. It just doesn't seem like breakfast stays with me very long, and when that happens, usually around 10 my stomach starts aching, and I'm the type that gets a little sick to my stomach when I go too long without eating. I'm also VERY active (being a PE teacher and then coach after school, I'm on the go all day!) Does anyone have any other breakfast suggestions? I can't do dairy, bananas, or strawberries (unfortunately, those smoothies sound awesome, but probably wouldn't help my hunger around 10 a.m. anyway). I just need something with some 'substance', you know what I mean? I'm also trying to watch my calories.

Thanks!

The two things that stick with me the longest
      #274336 - 07/17/06 09:34 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...are oatmeal (not instant - the old-fashioned rolled oats kind) and eggs. In both cases, I think the protein and little bit of fat combine to keep you satisfied.

Unfortunately, I can't think of ANY options for something filling that you don't have to cook in the morning. If it's any consolation, an egg and toast don't take me more than 5 minutes to make, and even rolled oats are quick in the microwave.

As far as calories go, one egg over-easy, a slice of toast with margarine spray, and a cup of berries (substitute a fruit you can eat) is under 200 calories. A serving of oatmeal is 150-160 calories before you add soy milk, sweetener, and/or fruit.

#274346 - 07/17/06 10:52 AM
MamaCat

Reged: 04/09/06
Loc: NJ

I've noticed a lot of people eat Luna bars--are they easy to digest? I've stayed away from any sort of bar since I am not sure what is setting me off lately.

I teach also and can't eat before classes...it's just too early. When I get a break at work, I usually have (and not all at once!):

*A plain bagel
*English muffin w/ seedless jam
*An individual sized portion of an angel food cake (like the size of a muffin)
*A wonderful muffin distributed by the "Functional Gourmet" logo (a product of Canada)--it has no trans fats and no dairy; 200 mg of Omega-3 per muffin, 10 grams fo protein and 3 grams of fiber. I love the blueberry cranberry and the fruit-filled varieties.
*For snacking, I eat dry Rice chex and reduced-fat Ritz. For some protein, the individual tuna cans are great and I dress it up with a bit of vinegar and some spices if I can. I try to bring a banana to work frequently and that seems to give me some extra energy.

I am a coffee addict who had to give up the goods in March--I have seen a difference in my flares because my primary drink is just water now. Coffee causes me instant cramping. But I miss it a lot!!!

--------------------
IBS-D!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 730 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 40289

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review