All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
asymmetrical bloating?
      #273139 - 07/08/06 06:11 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

It's probably pointless to preface any question on this board with "this may be a really weird question ..." but really, this one is odd ...

The other night I made a pretty problematic lentil / vegetable soup with chicken sausage, turkey sausage, and soy sausage. There were mushrooms, peas, corn, etc ... so, I expected bloating. My tummy bloated way out as it almost always does after a big meal. But here's the weird thing -- the bloating was significantly more prounounced on the right side, just below my waistline. I'm pretty petite (5'4" 125) and my belly is flat-ish when not bloated, so it's pretty easy to notice when I change shape -- I usually look about 4 months pregnant for a couple hours after dinner. But I don't think I've ever had this odd-shaped blob before. It looked like in addition to the preggers belly, I was smuggling a softball on the right side.

Has anyone else experienced this, and do you think I should be concerned?

Thanks,
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: asymmetrical bloating? new
      #273143 - 07/08/06 07:01 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Amanda,

Sorry I have never experience this so I really don't know what to tell ya. How long did the softball last? Did you have pain in the area? If it happens again I think I would call the doctor. Hopefully someone else on the boards has had the same thing happen and they can be more helpful.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Janey

#273144 - 07/08/06 07:09 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Thanks, Janey. This is definitely the first time it has happened. The area around the "softball" wasn't any more painful than the rest of my stomach, and I think it subsided when the bloating went away, just over the course of the night. My bf saw it too, so I'm definitely not nuts. I'm not too concerned, but a little curious.

--------------------
Amanda

#273151 - 07/08/06 08:47 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I've definetly had asymmetrical bloating before. It sounds exactly like what you described, I'm skinny so I notice any bloating at all. I usually look pregnant, but sometimes it's more pronounced on one side and/or kinda large-lumpy looking.

I didn't notice it too often but I never thought to worry about it. I think it's normal as long as it goes away when the bloating subsides, and doesn't hurt more than usual.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#273165 - 07/09/06 05:22 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Thanks Kat. That's pretty much all I needed to hear. I think that if anything were really messed up -- intestinal blockage or something like that -- I'd be in tremendous pain. I bet you're right, that it's nothing to worry about.

--------------------
Amanda

#273172 - 07/09/06 08:32 AM
polly2004

Reged: 05/30/06
Loc: Minnesota

i get that too! when i eat something bad, i get that. and like you; i'm skinny and you can really tell once i'm bloated. i also look prego. when i didn't know what i had it scared me. i never had a weight problem in my life. but now i know that it's ibs (i'm ibs "c")i just deal w/it! LOL!! but usually that blob moves from the right side to the middle and then evens out when things start to move. i'm glad i'm not the only one!

#273240 - 07/09/06 08:40 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I have had something similar happen a couple times. Not as pronounced as you describe, but definitely feeling more bloated on one side of my gut than the other. Maybe try some GasX after eating?? That always works for me.

Hope you're feeling better! Two and half weeks to go! You know, I have been meaning to say to you I think it's funny...my name is Amanda, my nickname since birth has been Panda, and we're both going to be lawyers.

#273257 - 07/10/06 05:22 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Ha, maybe we're the same person

I've always been "Panda" to my family, though I tried to ditch it during the evil teen years. It made a big comeback when everyone started having babies. There's really nothing cuter than a toddler calling me Auntie Panda!

Yes, the end is in sight, finally. I'm spending so much time trying to condense my notes / handouts into outlines. I'm almost done but it's taking forever. I just want to do a million practice questions! Are you taking PMBR? I just signed up for the 3-day mini course next week. Ugh I can't wait for this to be over. I'm having a big bday party on Friday the 28th -- I'll turn 25 the day after I finish the bar, so I think it's a pretty good reason to celebrate! Then I'm off to Asia for a month. Are you taking any trips or anything?
Good luck ...

--------------------
Amanda

#273325 - 07/10/06 10:57 AM
milkshake

Reged: 05/03/06

...and all this time I thought I was crazy! "My softball" starts high on my gut, works it's way down, and disappears in a few days. Some days I have it, some days I don't. It can appear and disappear in a day or a few days. Never any rhyme or reason. Even when I don't eat anything at all. Have you ever experienced bloating when you have had nothing to eat?

#273363 - 07/10/06 01:06 PM
AmandaM

No, not doing PMBR per se. I have all the books from a friend, so I am going to do it on my own.

And, No, I'm probably the only person I know not taking an extended trip after the bar. I am going to stick around Sacramento and begin ye olde job hunt. But just lounging by the pool and sleeping in for a week or so will be "vacaction" for me. India sounds heavenly though! How fun!

#273364 - 07/10/06 01:07 PM
AmandaM

I have. It seems like if I don't eat for a while, my stomach gets a tad bloated and I get gassy

#273374 - 07/10/06 02:02 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

This happens to me ALL the time, too. The right side of my stomach just sticks out more then the left side after I eat. Sometimes when I find it really bothersome (to look at), I poke that side until things start moving a little. Sorry if this isn't very helpful.

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 212 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4136

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review