Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How patient should I be.....
      #273078 - 07/08/06 10:34 AM
JJBean

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Buffalo, NY

with a medication.

My doctor prescribed Levsin which I took for about a month and then stopped to see what it was like without it - and I was the same (which is not good!).

Then she put me on an enzyme (kuzyme) which I only took for a few days because it was doing absolutely nothing.

It seems to me that these are medications that should work immediately, right? Was I too hasty?

I'm having a horrible time right now (it's that gastro-colic reflex thing that Heather talks about where all I have to do is put something in my mouth and I'm in the bathroom). I'm following the diet so carefully, I'm taking 2 1/2 tablespoons of acacia a day (divided into three doses), I drinking lots of water and peppermint/fennel tea. But I feel so awful!

I'm not this bad all the time - I have only been doing these things for two months or so and I have definitely seen some improvement, but it seems that my good days are much better than they have been in a long time and my bad days are much worse than they have been.

Should I give the meds another try?

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yea... new
      #273082 - 07/08/06 10:58 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

I would DEFINATELY give meds longer that a few days to work....I know its annoying but sometimes these things take time....also it might just be that you don't respond to them....I've tried EVERYTHING and loperamide is the only thing that does the trick. As for the acacia...how long did you build up to that amount?? Cos I know heather says to do it very gradual...sometimes people jump in too quick with that one because they're desperate to be taking the full amount....with managing ibs you really do have to be patient...and I remember being the suffering one just wanting it to be sorted there and then....wish it would and for some it can....but the majority of the time its a waiting game.

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Yea... new
      #273092 - 07/08/06 12:44 PM
JJBean

Thanks for the response, Natalie. I think I'll try going back on the meds. My doctor thought that taking the enzyme and the Levsin might work, so I'll give it a shot.

It took me a few months to work up to the acacia dose. I increased very gradually and honestly don't know if I should stay here or continue increasing. I still am going many times a day and although it isn't diarrhea, it is very mushy.
Sadly, Immodium makes me very constipated (I've even tried just a half a pill).

How long did it take you to be stable?

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

Well I tried everything.... new
      #273112 - 07/08/06 02:51 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

from pills, to natural remedies, to chinese herbal things, to weird diets...everything...and to be honest heathers diet DID change things so much and I still follow the principles, but not as strictly as I used to and thats all down to hypnotherapy!! It changed my life....I did Michael mahoneys CD program which you can buy on here and then I was lukcy enough to see him in person for sessions....again the relief wasn't immediate, it took months in fact for me to notice a difference but my thought patterns and response to ibs has changed completely. It doesnt rule my life anymore and I can sometimes stop attacks dead in their tracks all down to the brain-gut link. If you can afford to buy the program....and I actually think its CHEAP and Im poor student, it is worth EVERY penny and more.

It took me about I'd say 6-8 months to REALLY stabilise and things have really just got better and better. I do have D still sometimes, not every day, but I do have it, but it happens in the morning, without cramps mostly and after loperamide is sorted for the day. I have accepted that I am probably NEVER going to have 'NORMAL' bowel movements, by that I mean a 'perfectly formed log'(sorry for the nice description )Food rarely gives me horrific attacks anymore, unless I have OVER done it majorly, but I save that for when Im feeling naughty. The stricter I follow heathers diet the better it is and by that I mean the principles...not word for word, as everyone is different and heather can tolerate some things others can't, and vice versa....that took me a LONG time to realise...I was just following it asthough what she said was gospel and not adapting it to myself and listening to my OWN body. Eating balanced meals at set times(or more or less) and having routine is also the key I think.

I would also try calcium if I was you, Im on a repeat prescription for that and I know it has been very effective for D.

Hope some of this is helpful and sorry I have a tendency to waffle and not make sense....ask me anything you want to know...we're all here to support and I promise you things CAN get better, I know it might feel so tedious and you want results now but it will happen....don't give up hope!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Well I tried everything.... new
      #273117 - 07/08/06 03:33 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

I've been considering buying the tapes, but I'm a little cautious because of the cost, and I know that I have a very hard time relaxing. I'm trying the yoga, and we've done other "stress relief" relaxations techniques through work, and each time I have a hard time "letting myself go" I'm not really sure how else to explain it.

From reading the boards, I'm very curious if the tapes would work for me, but I also know part of my IBS problems stem from my inability to relax or "mellow out"....

Any suggestions????

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Re: How patient should I be..... new
      #273132 - 07/08/06 05:22 PM
sheilalewallen

Reged: 07/08/06
Loc: Arkansas

I was on meds for short time, did not like any of the side effects. Thankfully IBD is very beginning, and can be treated with diet right now. One of the things I do is take a notepad with questions, it takes a little time, your doctor might be in a "rush" like they always are. LOL. But if the meds start to work, I say try to give it time, know how hard that is. Sometimes you just want to pull out all your hair.

--------------------
www.u2.com

Re: Well I tried everything.... new
      #273134 - 07/08/06 05:24 PM
JJBean

Thank you so much for the encouragement!

I've decided to try the meds again. I started this evening (the Levsin before meals and the enzyme after). I'm also going to try acidopholus.

I have been thinking about calcium also, it's just hard for me to imagine fitting more things into this routine. I think I'll see how I do on these meds for a while and maybe once that starts to feel like a routine I'll add the calcium.

I've been so frustrated recently because I've had some really good days, which I haven't had in so many months. I start feeling hopeful and then I'm right back to being so sick. I am lucky to have a super-supportive husband and to have found this community as well!

Thanks for giving me the encouragement to stick to it. It seems that everyone here gets the results eventually if they work at it.

Jeannine

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6127 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 887

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review