All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cobb Salad?
      #272871 - 07/07/06 06:42 AM
DawnS

Reged: 05/18/06

I had a work lunch yesterday and ordered the Cobb Salad. I ate lots of bread before eating the salad, and didn't eat the whole thing. Afterwards I got horrible nausea which lasted for 2 or 3 hours. Once it went away I got extremely bad (and smelly ) gas for the rest of the evening. I had actually ordered this on my last lunch meeting at this restaurant, but thought perhaps it was just a situational thing...but now I've learned my lesson! I will not eat Cobb Salad again, but I am curious as to what in particular gave me this problem and am wondering if any of you have trouble with it as well? For those who don't know, Cobb salad has lettuce, tomato, avacado, blue cheese, bacon, ham & egg. I know, probably not the safest meal! But I haven't cut cheese out of my diet and it doesn't particularly bother me usually...but maybe it was the blue variety?
Thanks for your insight!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cobb Salad? new
      #272873 - 07/07/06 06:51 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I would be very sick if I ate that salad. It has almost every IBS trigger you are supposed to avoid. The bacon and ham are high in fat and red meat is a no no. I am assuming it was whole egg and not just egg whites as well. Blue cheese well you already mentioned that you know it is a common trigger. This salad is very high in fat with the bacon, ham, egg, avacado, eggs. I cannot eat salad period without some sort of pain and I also wouldn't be able to handle the raw tomoatoes.
Have you done the EFI diet? how long have you been stable for before reintroducing salad back into your diet?

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#272882 - 07/07/06 08:31 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

The blue cheese, bacon, ham, and egg yolk could be causing the situation. Avocado is good, but you have to eat it within limits because of the fat content.

#272888 - 07/07/06 09:03 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Pretty much everything in that salad is bad for IBS (as others have pointed out). Even lettuce and tomatoes I couldn't handle until I had been stable for quite a while. I know you say you can usually handle cheese, but I would highly suggest cutting it out completely, as well as cutting out red meat and egg yolks, and see how much better you'll feel. I didn't think dairy products were hurting me that much since my attacks didn't seem tied to them directly, but once I cut them out, I did manage to get stable.

Goodluck,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#272896 - 07/07/06 10:08 AM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

Some people have trouble with lettuce, and most defintely teh bacon, ham and egg could have been your main triggers. They are all considered not safe.

Asking for trouble new
      #273027 - 07/07/06 08:26 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

That salad sounds volatile for IBS. It would cause me intense pain/distress and take me a few days to "get over." The whole eggs, blue cheese, & red meat (bacon, ham) are all very high fat & hard to digest proteins, not recommended for IBS. The other aspects of the salad are subject to personal tolerance/discretion & it is to your benefit that you sought a good SF base. Next time, perhaps try to be more selective.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 484 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 725

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review